• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request Changes to Slab notations HERE
6 6

130 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 9/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, IcedDog said:

Hi Mike, any updates on this?

I am sorry, but I have not done this yet.  I need to take some time off tomorrow due to a severe erosion problem because of heavy rain.  I'll try to take care of this sometime this week.  Thanks for the reminder.

This MTU 141 notation is wrong, and the notations for ASM 252 and PPTSSM 90 are also wrong and add to fandom's general confusion about the black suit early releases.

This book is listed as tying with ASM 252, but that is incorrect.  I remember buying ASM 252 first when it came out.  MTU 141 and SSM 90 came out the same month, but not the same day or week as 252.  I can't remember for sure, but I think those others came out on the same day together, but after 252.  MTU and SSM 90 could mention that they tie for 2nd black suit appearance, but ASM 252 should have that honor all to itself.

Go collect verifies my memory on this topic with a blurb: "This week, we see Marvel Team-Up #141 making waves as it broke into the top 100 best sellers. Released days after Amazing Spider-Man #252, MTU #141 is tied with Spectacular Spider-Man #90 for the second overall appearance of the black suit that would later become Venom".

Anybody have the exact release dates for these books?

Edit: The release dates on some Go collect reference pages for these issues are wrong.  They list dates in April and May which make no sense for books with a cover date of May.

Looked up the exact release dates of these 3 books on mikesamazingworld.com and they reflect what I remember from childhood when I bought them:

ASM 252 - January 31 1984

MTU 141 - February 14 1984

SSM 90 - February 14 1984

Here is another site that verifies those same release dates:

http://www.kleefeldoncomics.com/2022/07/irl-chronology-of-spideys-black-suit.html?m=1

So, Spidey 252 was first all by itself.  That label should be corrected to reflect that.

MTU 141 and SSM 90 came out 2 weeks later on the same day.  Both of those labels should be corrected to say: Ties for 2nd black suit appearance with...

It is disappointing that the chronology around such an important event in Marvel history is flat out wrong on all 3 of these labels.  Hopefully they can be corrected going forward.

b6c34fbc67ea951da21389f9f1d794ec.jpg

Edited by mrlatko

Hi @CGC Mike

I believe that on Batman the New 52 #6 it should be noted that it is the court of owls' first full appearance. They have become such a major group in Batman lore not to mention becoming such a fan favourite. they are arguably the most popular new villain (group) that come to Batman in the last 15 years. Not to mention how they are being used more in more in pop culture (movies, video games, and ETC).  I will be sending mine to get graded and would love to that notation. thanks for reading have a great day. 

Batman #6 Value - GoCollect (batman-6-3 )

On 10/18/2023 at 7:52 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 10/17/2023 at 11:08 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Since ole Venom is a key Marvel character, we should note that ASM 315 is the 2nd appearance :wishluck:

image.png.e7ba6c25559e36cea3fa467d8041ea73.png

Expand  

Is it truly his second appearance?

I don’t think so.

Normally CGC doesn't put "2nd 'full' appearance" on anything, so it may be a "terminology" factor for CGC. In which case I can see why they've not done it. (yet)

• Administrator

Here is some label changes.

<<Cushing Fan

•  

For a major Marvel villain like Mephisto,  could his second appearance in Silver Surfer #8 (1968) be noted?>>

This has now been added.

<<DocGo

• Hey Mike,

I’d like a label addition made to Bone #4 (published on 3/92 by Cartoon Books) for the 1st appearance of The Hooded One and Kingdok. These are the two primary villains in the series. I’ve been asking for over a decade through email but I never seem to get a response.

The latest slabbed copy I’ve seen is 4225338015 and it was graded on 3/28/23. The only label notation continues to be “Letters from Stan Sakai & Chuck Dixon”. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!>>

This has now been added.

<<CyberSnake

• Spawn #179 (6/08)

1st appearance of War Spawn. Thinking of sending it in for the Mayhew signing. Would be great to have it updated before then. Thanks for all the hard work!>>

This has now been added.

<<ADAMANTIUM

•  

Here is one that idk about but it makes sense to me is 1st black flash....

You have the 1st cameo as flash #138...

However I've never seen a slab of the first full, which cgc has traditionally followed up with after a first cameo file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png

Most are assuming that it is #141 as there are several cameos from #138 to #141 where he is prominent and in the cover  file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png

And yet nothing in the label?>>

The label for Flash #141 now states "1st full appearance of the Black Flash."

Surprised to see that Detective Comics #38 says "Origin & 1st appearance of Robin, ( Grayson)., 3rd 'A DC Publication' logo."   But no mention of "First superhero sidekick" (or something along those lines) which should come between those two.  Batman having a sidekick was an innovation that took the whole GA by storm, so a big deal!  :) 

Edited by Pantodude

Awesome thanks!

Further the stamina of notes:

Hawkeye #1 2017, has been sold and or advertised as the 1st solo Kate Bishop, however I've yet to see a cgc label notate it. If that is why it is selling, it might be good for cgc to confirm or place it there to get word of mouth.

5289605_Full_Obv.jpg

Thanks Mike!

I’ve got one more first appearance for the next round: Bone #5: 1st Appearance of Lucius Down. He’s the last of the major characters without an introductory label and I think he deserves one since his death is noted on issue #54. Thanks again!

Wow.  Again, Robin overlooked.  This time Batman #1.  Robin is significant enough to have his third appearance noted in Batman 1, too.  The Bat1 label currently notes "Hugo Strange appearance. Batman & Robin pin-up on back cover," so before those mentions?  Or instead of either of those if space is an issue?