• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Pro supplies?
3 3

52 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, Gonzimodo said:

Yes, I just ran a search for "sbs board acid free" and it was the second link.  It's a BCW blog post from 2014. :pullhair:

Indeed to both your comments..

BCW, etc, backing boards and bags are fine if you realize what you are purchasing because they are arguably no better than the cheapest ones that were available in, for example, the 1980s. However, as you note, folks may not realize that if they first encounter the BCW representative's lie because he or she lied like, as they say, a lying liar that lies about the acid-free quality of the company's boards.

I recently ordered and received a couple thousand silver bags and boards from these guys. It is very disingenuous that on their website and on the box they state that their bags are made in Canada, however the product within the box clearly states Made in China. I was hoping and happy to support some North American manufacturing but am disappointed that that wasn't the case. These guys are in Canada; aren't there some strict consumer laws about origin misrepresentation there?

IMG_20230504_134357(34).thumb.jpg.f3aab3b2f9618b7a711c0fbb3a5f4f4c.jpg

https://officialcomicproline.com/collections/comic-book-bags

comicpro.thumb.png.46c433677e6ee529154979873031aec8.png

On 5/4/2023 at 2:55 PM, ramrodcar said:

I recently ordered and received a couple thousand silver bags and boards from these guys. It is very disingenuous that on their website and on the box they state that their bags are made in Canada, however the product within the box clearly states Made in China. I was hoping and happy to support some North American manufacturing but am disappointed that that wasn't the case. These guys are in Canada; aren't there some strict consumer laws about origin misrepresentation there?

IMG_20230504_134357(34).thumb.jpg.f3aab3b2f9618b7a711c0fbb3a5f4f4c.jpg

https://officialcomicproline.com/collections/comic-book-bags

comicpro.thumb.png.46c433677e6ee529154979873031aec8.png

That doesn’t surprise me. My experience with them was very poor. Their customer service is just plain awful.  I agree with others about the bags themselves being OKAY but just hope you don’t have any problems because they won’t give good service IMO.  If I have more time later I’ll post a longer review. My advice is to stick with E Gerber or hot flips. 

On 5/4/2023 at 3:44 PM, SkOw said:

That doesn’t surprise me. My experience with them was very poor. Their customer service is just plain awful.  I agree with others about the bags themselves being OKAY but just hope you don’t have any problems because they won’t give good service IMO.  If I have more time later I’ll post a longer review. My advice is to stick with E Gerber or hot flips. 

I did have some issues and questions with my first order two or three years ago, and they were VERY slow to respond.  There were initially some manufacturing and quality control issues (inconsistent sizes of bags/flaps within the same set of 100, A LOT of plastic debris in and on the bags), so I thought I was done with them.  However, I really like the material they use a lot more than that of other (non-Mylar) bags, so I gave them a second chance with a small order, and everything was fine.  I've since ordered quite a few cases, and the manufacturing issues appear to be cleared up.  I have no idea if their customer service has improved at all, because I haven't needed them since that first order.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:55 PM, ramrodcar said:

While I agree with your sentiment, would you be prepared to pay significantly more for your bags and boards if they were manufactured locally?

Because this is something most people won't be happy with.

They want to support local business and/or manufacturing but they don't want to pay the price of what it actually costs.

And THIS is the reason things are made in China. Because people refuse to pay for quality products sourced locally...but it's the only way to make it happen. 

Personally, I'd pay extra for local products if they were what I wanted. 

On 5/4/2023 at 6:24 PM, VintageComics said:

While I agree with your sentiment, would you be prepared to pay significantly more for your bags and boards if they were manufactured locally?

Because this is something most people won't be happy with.

They want to support local business and/or manufacturing but they don't want to pay the price of what it actually costs.

And THIS is the reason things are made in China. Because people refuse to pay for quality products sourced locally...but it's the only way to make it happen. 

Personally, I'd pay extra for local products if they were what I wanted. 

I absolutely would pay additional (in reason) to buy something made somewhere "local". Regardless, saying one thing and doing another doesn't inspire trust or confidence in the company and product. It makes me wonder, are the other claims like "Acid free" a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement too?

On 5/4/2023 at 7:45 PM, jcjames said:

Just received a small batch of ComicPRO 56pt Golden Size SBS Backer Boards and ComicPRO Golden Size Mylar bags. 

I am comparing them to E. Gerber #750 Silver/Gold Full-Back Boards and Mylites 2 #775M2 Silver/Golden Age Mylar bags. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6baf3b34528829750fe1c97bd630e8c0.jpeg

1. Ordering on ComicPRO was easy and simple, you order it, pay online and immediately get confirmation. Ordered on 4/26, arrived via UPS today. Good service, easy ordering, packaged well and shipped correctly. My packages of bags and boards say "Made In Canada" FWIW. 

2. Comparing the 56pt Golden Size SBS boards to E. Gerber Silver/Gold Full-Backs: 

They are of exact same dimensions, length and width. 

SBS boards are obviously much thicker, and are smooth on both sides like BCW boards, compared to the Full-Backs which are lightly textured: 

image.thumb.jpeg.f083b8bf72c9786c33dd5b7e4055653e.jpeg

3. Comparing the Mylar Bags, they feel very similar in thickness, the Mylites 2 are slightly larger, about 1/4" wider and about 1/4" "deeper" pocket, though the ComicPRO bags have a longer flap (this is also stated in the dimensions) and this slight size difference will become an issue later: 

image.thumb.jpeg.ea374f68da277d19ae00a7b054978354.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b375d6d8a419520ad26699e44cc116f0.jpeg

From this view you can see in the next pic showing the difference in size (Mylites2 on the bottom, ComicPRO on top of it) the quality of the mylar seams - Mylites 2 have clean and sturdy seems, ComicPRO have rough seems and this will also become an issue later. 

20230504_153929.thumb.jpg.3d59b44673f36e60725f28f091de5c49.jpg

4. Bagging & Boarding a Golden-Age book: First of all, the ComicPRO 56pt "Golden Size" board is a pretty tight fit in the ComicPRO "Golden Size" bag just by itself - quite snug even without a book (five demerits for ComicPRO "Golden" bags - they're too small):

image.thumb.jpeg.6dffdd2ae837669dfff48d0d2ae1e07a.jpeg

But I put a book in anyway... It was quite snug and I definitely would not put fragile or valuable books into this combination of bag/board. It is too snug. 

image.thumb.jpeg.88d7ed3cc4cf2db860e9be54b42c493c.jpeg

Another issue with the ComicPRO Mylar Bags.... their seams split very easy, they don't appear to have good quality seams (note the rough cut edge too): 

image.thumb.jpeg.63c274d6a5196624ac15e3ad8e1e3662.jpeg

I tried three different bags and they all split even with nominal tension at the seam where the tab is. Ten demerits for ComicPRO bags. 

So... I tried the 56pt ComicPRO board with Mylite2 Silver/Gold bags - since Mylite Silver/Gold are at least 1/4" larger - and this was a much more "comfortable" combination. The 56pt boards are DEFINITELY beefy-thick and sturdy, feels solid and confident to protect a GA book in a Mylite2 #775 bag: 

image.thumb.jpeg.7fa80cb47ad00beec03ec208f7a1f5df.jpeg

And here's where the Mylite2 bags scored more points over the ComicPRO mylar bags... the quality of the seams - clean smooth edges and no splitting:

image.thumb.jpeg.1d137a0db6fa54dec51b159c29f48606.jpeg

Because of the 56pt thickness, it is still more snug than the Gerber FullBack in Mylite2s, so it might give pause if one has a thick book or fragile cover. But I do like the sturdy thickness they provide. 

Scoreboard so far: 

Mylite2 >> ComicPRO mylar bags (rough seams that split easily, smaller dimension makes for tighter fit).

Gerber Silver/Gold Full-Back ~ ComicPRO 56pt Golden Size boards (same dimensions, 56pt is definitely thicker, smoother, but are they "archival"??? hm  )

So now I switched the teams - put a Gerber Silver/Gold Full-Back #750 board into the ComicPRO Golden-Size mylar bags and a GA book to see if the 56pt board was causing the split seams: 

image.thumb.jpeg.3cd682bdd071570c43924ce72ced076c.jpeg

Easier fit, but still tighter than the Mylite2s because ComicPROs are 1/4" smaller. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f9d985e91200d86d16bb1b8e2780b601.jpeg

And the ComicPRO mylar bag splits again with the Gerber Full-Back. Booo!!!

Moving on to trying with a Silver-Age book - I again found the books just too snug to confidently put into the ComicPRO "Golden" bag with the "Golden-Size" 56pt boards - so I skipped forcing the issue just to take pictures - the verdict for me is that this combination is too tight for any book. 

"No" to ComicPRO bags with 56pt boards with Gold-Age and/or Silver-Age books. 

So here's the ComicPRO bags with Gerber Full-Back board a Silver-Age book: 

image.thumb.jpeg.d398406737a5e245b224bba66fb6a55e.jpeg

And again it splits the mylar seams even with the Gerber Full-Back board: 

image.thumb.jpeg.076b33fab160b9f7d6bc007774125644.jpeg

Compared to the Mylite2 with the ComicPRO 56pt board and a SA book - no splits, no rough edges, just a nice sturdy board in a quality Mylite2 bag:

image.thumb.jpeg.14be606ea89790e69304ccdaf529c643.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9a7c10a25ceb6e321dbe065b8a5da070.jpeg

Lastly, I attempted a square-bound book in a Mylite2 and 56pt board: 

image.thumb.jpeg.133f3fd922676952e7e9f2507a15be96.jpeg

As you can see, it is a super-thick sandwich and not what I would do to any square-bound book. 

image.thumb.jpeg.44d1138c9fae44e95f488ba2449e965a.jpeg

Bottomline: 

I will not be buying any more ComicPRO mylar bags - poor quality compared to Mylite2, AND they are slightly smaller in size and so make for very tight squeezes when putting in and taking out even SA books with Gerber FB boards. Pass. 

I DO like the sturdiness of the ComicPRO 56pt boards, they are SOLID protection - but I can only use them in my Mylite2 #775 Silver & Golden age bags. And I would not use them for square-bound books - just too thick for my comfort level. Last question is, are the ComicPRO 56pt boards Archival? It appears they are very smooth like BCW, and since BCW are not buffered all the way through, I can only assume these are also not.

Likewise, ComicPRO is confident to put "Archival" on their mylar bags, but only "Acid-Free" on the boards, while Gerber boards say "Meets strict US Government standards for archival storage". 

So I have to go with Gerber for my most valuable oldies, and save the ComicPRO 56pt boards for books that are newer (glossy paper) and super high grade for added protection. 

Excellent review :applause: Thanks for taking the time to write all that out!

On 5/4/2023 at 7:34 PM, ramrodcar said:

I absolutely would pay additional (in reason) to buy something made somewhere "local". Regardless, saying one thing and doing another doesn't inspire trust or confidence in the company and product. It makes me wonder, are the other claims like "Acid free" a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement too?

Agreed. 

The problem is that too many consumers just want to cheap out. 

They want quality but don't want to pay for it. Doesn't' work that way. 

Spend a few bucks per book to protect it. That's the way I look at it. 

I don't scrutinize which package of bags or boards are $2 cheaper. I choose what offers the best protection and then work that into the cost of the books. It then becomes a negligible cost. 

I have a business that does procurement for government/s as a side hustle and you’d be surprised how many true blue Canadian products purchased by the gov are manufactured in China. There are even specific instructions about removing any stickers or identifiable symbols (that can be removed) that say “made in ____”.

On 5/4/2023 at 7:45 PM, jcjames said:

Bottomline: 

I will not be buying any more ComicPRO mylar bags - poor quality compared to Mylite2, AND they are slightly smaller in size and so make for very tight squeezes when putting in and taking out even SA books with Gerber FB boards. Pass. 

I DO like the sturdiness of the ComicPRO 56pt boards, they are SOLID protection - but I can only use them in my Mylite2 #775 Silver & Golden age bags. And I would not use them for square-bound books - just too thick for my comfort level. Last question is, are the ComicPRO 56pt boards Archival? It appears they are very smooth like BCW, and since BCW are not buffered all the way through, I can only assume these are also not.

Likewise, ComicPRO is confident to put "Archival" on their mylar bags, but only "Acid-Free" on the boards, while Gerber boards say "Meets strict US Government standards for archival storage". 

So I have to go with Gerber for my most valuable oldies, and save the ComicPRO 56pt boards for books that are newer (glossy paper) and super high grade for added protection. 

Thanks for the thorough walkthrough!  I kind of suspected that the 56pt boards would be too snug for the corresponding bags based on the dimensions showing on the website.  I'm guessing that the same would be true even for the thinner boards, though.  Gerber's corresponding sizes for boards are 1/4" less than the size of the bags, while ComicPRO's are only 1/8" smaller.  That doesn't sound like much, but it really makes a difference.

I also tried out some of ComicPRO's mylars, and something about them feels off to me compared to a Mylite2.  I didn't have any issues with the welds because I was using a size down for boards (7.25" Silver bag with 7.0" Gerber board), but the material just didn't seem to be as high quality as the Mylites, which is a strange thing to say about mylar. (shrug)  I also don't see any rough edges or plastic "strings" on their mylars like the ones in a couple of your pictures, but I have occasionally experienced that with some of their regular bags.

So I'm also sticking to Gerber for Mylites and backing boards, but I'm using ComicPRO's regular bags for the bulk of my ("drek") collection.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:45 PM, jcjames said:

Just received a small batch of ComicPRO 56pt Golden Size SBS Backer Boards and ComicPRO Golden Size Mylar bags. 

I am comparing them to E. Gerber #750 Silver/Gold Full-Back Boards and Mylites 2 #775M2 Silver/Golden Age Mylar bags. 

1. Ordering on ComicPRO was easy and simple, you order it, pay online and immediately get confirmation. Ordered on 4/26, arrived via UPS today. Good service, easy ordering, packaged well and shipped correctly. My packages of bags and boards say "Made In Canada" FWIW. 

2. Comparing the 56pt Golden Size SBS boards to E. Gerber Silver/Gold Full-Backs: 

SBS boards are obviously much thicker, and are smooth on both sides like BCW boards, compared to the Full-Backs which are lightly textured: 

3. Comparing the Mylar Bags, they feel very similar in thickness, the Mylites 2 are slightly larger, about 1/4" wider and about 1/4" "deeper" pocket, though the ComicPRO bags have a longer flap (this is also stated in the dimensions) and this slight size difference will become an issue later: 

From this view you can see in the next pic showing the difference in size (Mylites2 on the bottom, ComicPRO on top of it) the quality of the mylar seams - Mylites 2 have clean and sturdy seems, ComicPRO have rough seems and this will also become an issue later. 

4. Bagging & Boarding a Golden-Age book: First of all, the ComicPRO 56pt "Golden Size" board is a pretty tight fit in the ComicPRO "Golden Size" bag just by itself - quite snug even without a book (five demerits for ComicPRO "Golden" bags - they're too small):

But I put a book in anyway... It was quite snug and I definitely would not put fragile or valuable books into this combination of bag/board. It is too snug. 

Another issue with the ComicPRO Mylar Bags.... their seams split very easy, they don't appear to have good quality seams (note the rough cut edge too): 

I tried three different bags and they all split even with nominal tension at the seam where the tab is. Ten demerits for ComicPRO bags. 

So... I tried the 56pt ComicPRO board with Mylite2 Silver/Gold bags - since Mylite Silver/Gold are at least 1/4" larger - and this was a much more "comfortable" combination. The 56pt boards are DEFINITELY beefy-thick and sturdy, feels solid and confident to protect a GA book in a Mylite2 #775 bag: 

And here's where the Mylite2 bags scored more points over the ComicPRO mylar bags... the quality of the seams - clean smooth edges and no splitting:

Because of the 56pt thickness, it is still more snug than the Gerber FullBack in Mylite2s, so it might give pause if one has a thick book or fragile cover. But I do like the sturdy thickness they provide. 

Scoreboard so far: 

Mylite2 >> ComicPRO mylar bags (rough seams that split easily, smaller dimension makes for tighter fit).

Gerber Silver/Gold Full-Back ~ ComicPRO 56pt Golden Size boards (same dimensions, 56pt is definitely thicker, smoother, but are they "archival"??? hm  )

So now I switched the teams - put a Gerber Silver/Gold Full-Back #750 board into the ComicPRO Golden-Size mylar bags and a GA book to see if the 56pt board was causing the split seams: 

Easier fit, but still tighter than the Mylite2s because ComicPROs are 1/4" smaller. 

Moving on to trying with a Silver-Age book - I again found the books just too snug to confidently put into the ComicPRO "Golden" bag with the "Golden-Size" 56pt boards - so I skipped forcing the issue just to take pictures - the verdict for me is that this combination is too tight for any book. 

Compared to the Mylite2 with the ComicPRO 56pt board and a SA book - no splits, no rough edges, just a nice sturdy board in a quality Mylite2 bag:

As you can see, it is a super-thick sandwich and not what I would do to any square-bound book. 

Bottomline: 

I've been placing the 56 pt board behind a Gerber full back in a Gerber mylite 2.  Archival and indestructible.  

On 5/5/2023 at 12:40 PM, buttock said:

I've been placing the 56 pt board behind a Gerber full back in a Gerber mylite 2.  Archival and indestructible.  

Great idea! Could also go with Gerber Half-Backs that way too. (thumbsu

Just opened my box, and boy was I excited. Until I put my first magazine board into a mylar: it's at least 3/8" shorter than a regular board. Meaning, the top and bottom edge of the magazine are right up against the edge of the board - not really offering any protection (half-back on the left, Comic Pro on the right) - a very significant difference:

IMG_3142.thumb.jpg.fb66adf8945116dce9c8a2d3ab2cddff.jpg

The lack of height also makes the flap of the bag bunch up on the ends, because you're trying to fold down the flap and excess bag material.

Thankfully, the comic-sized boards ARE the correct height, so I don't think i'll have problems there. But the magazine ones will not be used. I'm not going to have a bunch of mismatched boards in my boxes.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:40 PM, buttock said:

Second follow-up. 

Yes - I will definitely be doing this with my half-backs. I have a ton of HBs that I haven't been using, but now I put one of them with a 56pt board and that is super-solid with the full buffering HB board against the comic for archival protection and the 56pt SBS board behind for uber-solid protection. Thanks again for the tip! 

Edited by jcjames

On 5/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, jcjames said:

Second follow-up. 

Yes - I will definitely be doing this with my half-backs. I have a ton of HBs that I haven't been using, but now I put one of them with a a 56pt board and that is super-solid with the full buffering HB board against the comic for archival protection. Thanks again for the tip! 

I've been so happy with that setup.  The FBs were always just a little soft, and I always just tossed HBs.  Now they have a use!

On 5/4/2023 at 6:45 PM, jcjames said:

Scoreboard so far: 

Bottomline: 

I appreciate the thoughtful review.  I had thought about trying them out, but you basically did it for me with a pretty good in-depth review.  I'm going to stick with E Gerber bags and boards for now.

On 5/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, Telegan said:

I appreciate the thoughtful review.  I had thought about trying them out, but you basically did it for me with a pretty good in-depth review.  I'm going to stick with E Gerber bags and boards for now.

I will likely buy more of the 56pt boards and use them with the rest of my Gerber Half-Backs (that I had no use for until now) as @buttock first described here - the boards are solid. 

Isn't putting the non-archival comic pro boards with full/half backs defeating the purpose of having an acid free/archival board?

Or does the archival gerber boards neutralize the acidity of the comic pro boards?

On 5/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, web_spinner said:

Isn't putting the non-archival comic pro boards with full/half backs defeating the purpose of having an acid free/archival board?

Or does the archival gerber boards neutralize the acidity of the comic pro boards?

I don't know if SBS boards actually off-gas acidic components or not, but at the least they are buffered surfaces.