• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2023 at 8:33 PM, Bosco685 said:

But what does someone truly deserve for something like this?  This is a show no longer making any significant money, and I am sure they were paid as per current contracts when they did the work.  But for a one day job like this, I view this as a nice little perk (yes, I realize how stupidly small it is). Sure, for shows like Friends, Big Bang, or the like, where the owner is still making big bucks, I get it.  Is it practical for companies to have to pay every actor for everything they have every been involved with for the last 100 years? 

On 7/16/2023 at 9:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Sad, but also an example of a great many people likely not in the profession they would excel in. If you're in your 30s and 40s (where you are most likely to start needing health insurance) and you're making less than $26k, that's kind of a sign to maybe look for a different line of work. It sounds simplistic, but being passionate about acting doesn't pay the mortgage - money does.

giphy.gif

Stop with all these facts it's about the feelings damn it! The FEELINGS!!!!!!!

It's been a few years since I've genuinely liked ANY "new" movies or tv shows.  I only watch old stuff and I feel absolutely no anticipation about any new properties (I've even stopped caring about an eventual Silver Surfer movie), so all these striking holly-weirdos can go play somewhere for all I care.  Buh-bye.

A real d*ck move right here:

Universal Studios decide to trim the trees back to prevent picketers from having any shade while on strike. They, of course, deny it - but the picture pretty much tells the story. No one would ever trim a tree like that for maintenance purposes:

ScreenShot2023-07-23at10_08_57AM.png.52c064d23841436aaa998804e0ff896c.png

I'm the farthest thing from a hippie there is, but that's just a blatant disregard for nature. I mean, you have to be a cosmic level douchenozzle to do that to trees. I don't know how long stuff takes to grow in California, but in Montana - that's probably 10-15 years worth of growth they destroyed. Not to mention the other things that trees do like provide us with oxygen and improve air quality. I thought Californians were all about this type of stuff. I hope environmentalists crucify these guys over it.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

A real d*ck move right here:

Universal Studios decide to trim the trees back to prevent picketers from having any shade while on strike. They, of course, deny it - but the picture pretty much tells the story. No one would ever trim a tree like that for maintenance purposes:

ScreenShot2023-07-23at10_08_57AM.png.52c064d23841436aaa998804e0ff896c.png

I'm the farthest thing from a hippie there is, but that's just a blatant disregard for nature. I mean, you have to be a cosmic level douchenozzle to do that to trees. I don't know how long stuff takes to grow in California, but in Montana - that's probably 10-15 years worth of growth they destroyed. Not to mention the other things that trees do like provide us with oxygen and improve air quality. I thought Californians were all about this type of stuff. I hope environmentalists crucify these guys over it.

I saw that on Twitter when the story was published, and at first I thought it was just people looking to make anything an anti-studio topic (not that studios deserve a break).

But there is no denying what they did just to be petty.

I have been to other cities where they have trimmed trees in this fashion, saw it several places when I was in Europe a few months ago.  Not saying not petty and oddly timed, but not as outrages that some are sayin.

The union has a good point about the AI concern. Imagine you show up for a minor role and after going to wardrobe, they do a digital body scan of you. If you refuse they find someone else. If you agree you might be watching a different movie a year later and suddenly see yourself in the background doing something for a film you were never on. 

You might make good money for your original role but are the rest of these freebies that you by default gave blanket consent to? Suddenly that original money wasn’t such a good deal.

On 7/23/2023 at 6:58 PM, CAHokie said:

The union has a good point about the AI concern. Imagine you show up for a minor role and after going to wardrobe, they do a digital body scan of you. If you refuse they find someone else. If you agree you might be watching a different movie a year later and suddenly see yourself in the background doing something for a film you were never on. 

You might make good money for your original role but are the rest of these freebies that you by default gave blanket consent to? Suddenly that original money wasn’t such a good deal.

This is going to happen regardless., the studios will never agree to a complete ban it in perpetuity.  If they do not get real people to agree to scanning, they are just going to create them from scratch.  Yes, the original design and programming will be expensive, but then it will be essentially free.  Just like kiosks in fast food restaurants, expensive to install, but much cheaper in the long run.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:31 PM, drotto said:

I have been to other cities where they have trimmed trees in this fashion, saw it several places when I was in Europe a few months ago.  Not saying not petty and oddly timed, but not as outrages that some are sayin.

I live in a city full of trees, and there is absolutely no reason to trim trees that far. If the City trimmed my boulevard trees like this, I’d be looking to have someone fired. This is not how you trim trees back.

More details about that seven-figure donation

On July 13, as SAG-AFTRA leadership declared the union was going on strike, SAG-AFTRA Foundation president Courtney B. Vance and executive director Cyd Wilson drafted a letter to 2,700 of the union’s highest-earning actors outlining the financial need that many would face in the work stoppage.

Shortly after sending the letter, Dwayne Johnson’s team reached out to say he wanted to help, so he and Vance hopped on a phone call.

“It was a love fest. It’s like, ‘Man, you’re stepping up in a way that is allowing others to know the dire necessity of it,'” Vance told Johnson about his contribution to the fund, noting that the exact sum is being kept confidential, but he was heartened by the A-lister’s generosity. “This is him saying, ‘In such a time as this, I’m here and I’m not going anywhere, whatever you need me to do.’ And that sends a huge message to other folks to do the same thing.”

Wilson explains that the SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s grants deliver up to $1,500 per individual member, but in extreme conditions where there are health issues or other situations that indicate an actor is in serious jeopardy, a lifetime member can receive up to $6,000 in emergency financial assistance. Thus, Johnson’s seven-figure donation has the potential to aid thousands of actors. (Wilson estimates between 7,000 to 10,000 members will need these services.)

6K might be enough to live on in LA for a month…maybe 2 depending on their housing expenses.

I have always thought that the best jobs in Hollywood are the ones you do part time while you have a normal career or the ones that have steady work but not a known name. The guy that you say, he looks familiar, what has he been in, would be the best.

I couldn’t imagine the life of a famous actor/actress that can’t leave their house without cameras and fans following them. I don’t know that it would be worth it. 

On 7/14/2023 at 2:14 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I feel that his points are less valid because he’s not a movie studio. He’s a wealthy actor. Telling a business how they should go about dispersing money without actually being knowledgeable about how that works is hugely ignorant. And by “knowing how it works” I don’t mean understanding it from an employee perspective - I mean by actually doing that firsthand. 

I know these people like to think they are well-read and educated, but when they talk like that, it comes off very dumb. If the 1% feel so bad for the other 99%, I fully expect them to put their money where their mouth is or STFU. If you want the system to change, be the change. Do your own thing and pay fairly. Learn the process. Pay the bills. Hire the people yourself.  Spouting off on Twitter about it makes you look like a numb nut.

Damon has a production company with Affleck.  I would believe they know how it works.