• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peach Momoko Virgin 120+ CGC 9.8 Comic Collection... Does CGC sell Comics for Collectors? At what point is it worth it to just sell yourself on eBay vs. an auction company?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to sell my Peach Momoko Comic Collection. I have about 120 individual virgin covers of hers. All CGC 9.8, with maybe 10 at a 9.6. I value these to be in the $13,000-$18,000 range. Lots of the covers are hard to get ratios 1:50, 1:100, 1:500, etc. My question is: Does CGC sell big lots like this for collectors, and if so how would I go about putting it up for sale? I have a humble eBay store with almost 600 stars that I have been selling on for the last year or so, but I don't necessarily want to pay eBay fees on such a large sale. I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks, 

Jaxon

"The" CGC only grade books, they do not sell them as a business. You would need to contact a consignment/auction house to sell these for you. I would recommend the following based on what you have:

• Comiclink.com
  • Mycomicshop.com

Both have commissions less than ebay and are easy to work with.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, DougC said:

"The" CGC only grade books, they do not sell them as a business. You would need to contact a consignment/auction house to sell these for you. I would recommend the following based on what you have:

• Comiclink.com
  • Mycomicshop.com

Both have commissions less than ebay and are easy to work with.

This is the correct answer

On 5/10/2023 at 3:11 PM, Jaxon Fleshman said:

I don't necessarily want to pay eBay fees on such a large sale.

Selling at an auction house: 10%

Shipping books to the auction house: On your dime.

Selling books on Ebay: 15%, buyer pays for shipping and you get stuck paying a percent on sales tax

Ebay is a lot more time consuming, the fees there suck, but they don't quite suck as much as people think compared to the auction houses. And I think Ebay sucks to sell at, it's my last resort there (here being the 1st). I put up some books at Clink that didn't sell real well due to market softening, so that 10% on the backend hurt - I could have factored that into an Ebay BIN listing and probably taken less of a hit and waited for it to sell, rather than try to force it on auction.

I don't know if I'd put up moderns at an auction house - I would think there is a larger market for that era on Ebay. But I could be wrong, that's just my general impression. I don't know if I'd sweat the 5% as much as I'd sweat making sure the books were at the right venue where I got the most eyes on them.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 5/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, Jaxon Fleshman said:

I am looking to sell my Peach Momoko Comic Collection. I have about 120 individual virgin covers of hers. All CGC 9.8, with maybe 10 at a 9.6. I value these to be in the $13,000-$18,000 range. Lots of the covers are hard to get ratios 1:50, 1:100, 1:500, etc. My question is: Does CGC sell big lots like this for collectors, and if so how would I go about putting it up for sale? I have a humble eBay store with almost 600 stars that I have been selling on for the last year or so, but I don't necessarily want to pay eBay fees on such a large sale. I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks, 

Jaxon

Contact MyComicShop and see if they'll make you an offer on the lot, with a likely reset of your expectations for the value. Modern variants are a tough gamble for realizing profits or even recouping initial investment.