• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

off-center slabs?

18 posts in this topic

Hi I am new to slabbing. So far my experience with CGC has been less than stellar.  I just received my second batch of comics from a single (first time) order I submitted. I have a Hulk 180 that is slabbed off-center. Can someone please tell me if this is normal for a bronze age, and specifically for a Hulk 180? The other two comics in the order are not off-center, but are both ASM comics. I have no reference point to understand why this comic would be slabbed like this. Any guidance or info is appreciated.

I’d say google a bunch of other similar title comics from the same era

No pics?

On 5/12/2023 at 4:16 PM, JennyG13 said:

Hi I am new to slabbing. So far my experience with CGC has been less than stellar.  I just received my second batch of comics from a single (first time) order I submitted. I have a Hulk 180 that is slabbed off-center. Can someone please tell me if this is normal for a bronze age, and specifically for a Hulk 180? The other two comics in the order are not off-center, but are both ASM comics. I have no reference point to understand why this comic would be slabbed like this. Any guidance or info is appreciated.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, Artboy99 said:

likely it is just the type of spacer they put into the slab. If it really bothers you contact CGC to see if it is a reason for a reholder submission.

Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to know what is standard vs. not acceptable and since I'm new to slabbing I can't foresee how something could be a later issue.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:31 AM, lostboys said:

Be careful tapping on the slab especially if it has those wedges holding the book in place.

You could tear the the inside of the book away from its staples.

Even if there are no wedges, you could damage a corner.

SCS is real.

OK - that sounds ominous. But noted.

On 5/12/2023 at 4:40 PM, revat said:

I’d say google a bunch of other similar title comics from the same era

I did, for whatever reason I didn't find the issue. I guess I'll try again.

On 5/15/2023 at 5:31 AM, lostboys said:

Be careful tapping on the slab especially if it has those wedges holding the book in place.

You could tear the the inside of the book away from its staples.

Even if there are no wedges, you could damage a corner.

SCS is real.

Yeah I mean if there is wedge in the inner-well you def should not bang the slab.

However if there is no wedge then gently banging the slab on a hard surface works perfectly every time.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:21 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yeah I mean if there is wedge in the inner-well you def should not bang the slab.

However if there is no wedge then gently banging the slab on a hard surface works perfectly every time.

Sounds scary. I'd be more inclined to do this if I wanted to move it towards the left (spine side), but isn't there a risk of tears around the staples when moving it towards the right?

On 5/18/2023 at 2:20 PM, Gaard said:

Sounds scary. I'd be more inclined to do this if I wanted to move it towards the left (spine side), but isn't there a risk of tears around the staples when moving it towards the right?

Most of the time during shipment they shift towards the right actually so it very easy to bring them back to center without damage.  Never had a problem.

You should see how I crack out slabs lol

I slam them against the a piece of wood.  Perfect break every time. I know the GoldenAge Guru posted it on his Instagram account last year. Never damage. 

W:signfunny:But true, though I just tap mine on the side a couple of times until the comic is centered. I've had them be shifted to one side or another often, mostly due to shipping or incorrect placement (or both). Maybe one or two per submission.

Do you have a photo?

On 5/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

W:signfunny:But true, though I just tap mine on the side a couple of times until the comic is centered. I've had them be shifted to one side or another often, mostly due to shipping or incorrect placement (or both). Maybe one or two per submission.

Do you have a photo?

Photo of?