• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tonight on MeTV Collector's Call featuring a large collection of comic books

38 posts in this topic

Ya I've told a few others about it, pretty good for a 30 minute TV show. That also participates in trying to get a trade from the collector at the end of the show!

Also, last week was a movie props collector.... I really enjoy this sow!

On 5/14/2023 at 4:18 PM, shadroch said:

I want my metv.   My Dish network discontinued it a few months ago and it seems like it is not coming back.

It's not on cable if you get normal antenna reception, or in mynarea it is that way

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

That was tough to watch with the mindset of fellow boardies watching.

Spoiler

The proposal trade was movie theater advertisements from the original King Kong for a 1.5 or low grade af 15

I agree to not make that trade, but the guy did show off a famous monsters mag. Was still hard to watch with an open mind towards it though lol

And the books in his store were nothing special other than what he showed off, mostly a store selling moderns so to speak, although he did show off action comics and etc those were probably from home. A good show but showed out in perspective when it's a subject that I know something about. Af 15 cgc 4.0 valued at $60,000 I wonder if that is the value from a year ago?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I know there is a thread in the movie part of the forum and that @MGsimba77 watches, but weve never generated enough interest to keep the thread going, will be interesting to see others feedback  🤠

On 5/14/2023 at 10:13 PM, Juno Beach said:

It's part of my Shaw package here in BC. Rogers might have it

I’ll have to check it called is it called me tv in BC 

Saw the show.

Always fun to see other collections. I don’t know how great it really is though. The average person now figures their moderns are worth a bundle and just gives bad people ideas. But comics are one of just a handful of collecting categories that are still actually slightly increasing or at least holding their value in general.

The collector seemed genuine and really loved the characters and books. But he was really hedgy when Lisa kept pushing him to say what he paid for his books. I wouldn’t have told her either. Never heard of either the collector or the “expert”.

Frankly, I can never understand why people would go on camera and show off their stuff quoting big prices. Now, everybody knows his store, what’s in it, and that it is “valuable”. 

I wouldn’t have done the trade either. Like the collector, and as cool as the Kong piece was, I don’t really collect that stuff and don’t know enough to part with an AF 15 for it.

We watch the show every Sunday night. I was commenting a few weeks ago that I wonder how long it will be until they feature comics…

I think Lisa would be horrified looking at my collection of PCH, Crime and Pulps…

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/15/2023 at 10:08 AM, Robot Man said:

Saw the show.

Always fun to see other collections. I don’t know how great it really is though. The average person now figures their moderns are worth a bundle and just gives bad people ideas. But comics are one of just a handful of collecting categories that are still actually increasing or at least holding their value in general.

The collector seemed genuine and really loved the characters and books. But he was really hedgy when Lisa kept pushing him to say what he paid for his books. I wouldn’t have told her either. Never heard of either the collector or the “expert”.

Frankly, I can never understand why people would go on camera and show off their stuff quoting big prices. Now, everybody knows his store, what’s in it, and that it is “valuable”. 

I wouldn’t have done the trade either. Like the collector, and as cool as the Kong piece was, I don’t really collect that stuff and don’t know enough to part with an AF 15 for it.

We watch the show every Sunday night. I was commenting a few weeks ago that I wonder how long it will be until they feature comics…

I think Lisa would be horrified looking at my collection of PCH, Crime and Pulps…

Awesome! Glad to hear of another viewer! In the early seasons they did original art, but was Kirby mostly...

On 5/14/2023 at 10:13 PM, Juno Beach said:

It's part of my Shaw package here in BC. Rogers might have it

Shaw is now Rogers 

Edit, nope that's Telus, my bad

Edit, no I was right lol

Edited by Poutine

On 5/15/2023 at 10:03 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome! Glad to hear of another viewer! In the early seasons they did original art, but was Kirby mostly...

There have been some real good episodes and some real stinkers like the Barbie one.

I really enjoy seeing well curated collections of pretty much anything. The stories of the hunt and the dedication appeal to me. Although sometimes they have a lot of junk filler.

One of my friends had a museum quality collection of “Tribal Art”. Not my thing or something I would normally pay much attention to, but amazing pieces and everything had a story.

Last week was a Houdini collection. Truly amazing stuff. 

On 5/15/2023 at 5:38 PM, Robot Man said:

There have been some real good episodes and some real stinkers like the Barbie one.

I really enjoy seeing well curated collections of pretty much anything. The stories of the hunt and the dedication appeal to me. Although sometimes they have a lot of junk filler.

One of my friends had a museum quality collection of “Tribal Art”. Not my thing or something I would normally pay much attention to, but amazing pieces and everything had a story.

Last week was a Houdini collection. Truly amazing stuff. 

Oh ya that was a good trade, the houdini locks.

I like hearing about the well courated collection, the back story and details, then seeing if I'd make the trade at the end.

This episode with comics was a little too on the nose, with a random rare famous monsters, that was the only thing hinted towards what he wanted to trade in subject matter lol

I hope most episodes aren't done that way, or it seems like she usually says,  'we've gone through to see what you are 'needing' in trade!?!"

The comics was nothing to do with comics, just king Kong movie memorabilia, like the famous monsters mag shown for whatever reason. Idk. A little too on the nose?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Every episode involves a "Trade" sometimes it goes through but more often than not it doesn't. It always get's Lisa excited...:devil:

This guy, like a lot of collectors is into a lot of semi related things in addition to comics. That FM mag is very memorable to him like MAD mag #72 is to me. In my case, collecting just kept on rolling to a lot of things.

That Mickey Mouse Waddle Book is a great piece but the expert was WAY off value wise. I have an unpunched one and as cool as it is, I would flip it in a moment for 5 grand.