• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking about getting back into comics

10 posts in this topic

It's been a lot of years since I collected comics. I was thinking about jumping back in, but the prices I'm seeing online are INSANE.

2 questions, what's the current standard of online price guide websites? And other than eBay and these forums, what's some great places to shop for back issues online these days?

Thanks

On 5/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, techvoodoo said:

It's been a lot of years since I collected comics. I was thinking about jumping back in, but the prices I'm seeing online are INSANE.

2 questions, what's the current standard of online price guide websites? And other than eBay and these forums, what's some great places to shop for back issues online these days?

Thanks

I don't actively collect anymore, but have you considered Trade Paperbacks/Omnibuses/even CD or DVD's to read electronically 

That may be an alternative to buying individual issues

For raw books, using eBay Sold Auction Prices is a very good indicator of true FMV since this is what folks have actually paid for them, of course you have to compare books in the same grade, if you are looking to purchase (place title/number here) and the seller wants (place $ amount here) for the book in (place grade here), go to eBay, enter the title/number of the book, scroll down on the left side menu until you see completed/sold items and click on the box next to that, when it takes you to the page, click on auctions only and you will see all of the books that have sold at auction for the last 3-4 month's.

For graded books you can also use eBay sold auction prices or https://gocollect.com/.

As far as purchasing books online you have this site,  eBay, Facebook groups (I belong to 6, only two of those allow sales and I have sold 200+ of my Son's books on those 2 sites without issue), and of course...https://www.mycomicshop.com/?gclid=CLS_6I_Q8cUCFYYUHwodbhUAag

You also have LCS's, antique stores, thrift shops, used book dealers and local shows.

As far as info regarding comic books and grading, the Overstreet Price Guide is still filled with ton's of great info even though the prices listed are not entirely accurate because the market fluctuates, by time the book is actually published..., the grading guide is also very good and something you should have so you can be sure books you are interested in are graded properly by the seller, also, CGC recently published their own grading guide.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, buy what you enjoy.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, techvoodoo said:

Thanks

Good thing you didn't look a couple of years ago or you probably would have just given up and not even bothered posting.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:59 AM, techvoodoo said:

Welcome back! I was on a 6 year hiatus and came back last year to explosions in value. I decided not to really go after books I used to like and delve into genres I hadn’t collected previously. Being that one was Pre Code Horror, I didn’t do my wallet any favors.

Have fun, and enjoy the hunt. I love this hobby, even if I feel like I get stuck overpaying - which happens a lot, but the inexpensive pearl shows up from time to time.

There are loads of back alleys in comic collecting where you'll be paying under $10 for great books, like the Epic Comics Transmutation of Ike Garuda. Currently $2.70 on MCS. Another Elaine Lee classic is Starstruck, the GN or the 6 issue mini series with gorgeous Mike Kaluta artwork and all for low money. 

It's actually a great time to get back into comics! Find something you love. Couple of great suggestions (Ike Garuda/Starstruck) that are worth your while looking into. 

Paul Gulacy's 6 issue Slash Maraud from DC and his Pacific 2 part Sabre can be had for pennies and will bring joy. The Warlock Special Edition in 6 issues that reprints Jim Starlin's 1970s classic in a very under appreciated Baxter paper format with superb reproduction. Classic X men, thinking of the Byrne/Austin run from XM108 to 143 are also at bargain basement prices for great art. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze