• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hundreds of "Photocopy" listings on eBay
3 3

34 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2023 at 9:42 AM, Kramerica said:

Am I the only one perturbed by the hundreds of photocopy listings on each and having to scroll and scroll just to find a real book? Am I just being too "get off my lawn" or does really bug anyone else?

Click bait for the unwise lol

On 5/20/2023 at 9:42 AM, Kramerica said:

Am I the only one perturbed by the hundreds of photocopy listings on each and having to scroll and scroll just to find a real book? Am I just being too "get off my lawn" or does really bug anyone else?

Drives me crazy too. I try to filter out photocopy listings out of my set searches, but they still show. 

As annoying as these are, it's really two separate groups.  If the books have lapsed into the public domain, what they're doing is legitimate, but annoying.  If the books are NOT public domain, then the owners can sic the lawyers on them.

Boys, boys, keep your cool.  There IS a way around it.  Just a little preliminary work.

What I'll do is first get to  Comics, Graphic Novels & TPBs.  Then scroll down a bit and click on All Filters.  I then click on Golden Age for era, then drop down one to Publication Year, and for me it's 1947 to 1956.  I'll then drop down to Genre, and in my case, click on Bad Girl, Crime and Thriller, Good Girl, Horror & Sci Fi, and Supernatural.

And there you have it; filtered results for your own taste. 

yeah, provided the sellers bothered to fill in all the data fields.  Ive found searching with dates misses too many books.  as for Photocopy listings, seems like you can turn it upside down and be cheered by the fact that you collect scarce cool copies worth putting photocopy covers on!

-photocopy weed them out?  search in descriptions and titles etc

Edited by Aman619

On 5/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, Aman619 said:

yeah, provided the sellers bothered to fill in all the data fields.  Ive found searching with dates misses too many books.

Then you might filter as suggested, but W/O specifying dates.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, Kramerica said:

Am I the only one perturbed by the hundreds of photocopy listings on eBay especially in GA and having to scroll and scroll just to find a real book? Am I just being too "get off my lawn" or does this really bug anyone else? Should we find this seller and "convince" them to stop doing it? We can bring Moose and Rocco for their persuasive assistance.

Link?

It's been going on for about 20 years...where has everyone been, lol?

Years ago when I was first on eBay and upgrading my really low grade copies, at least one "dealer" would buy them so they could do the photo copy thing.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:42 AM, Kramerica said:

Am I the only one perturbed by the hundreds of photocopy listings on eBay especially in GA and having to scroll and scroll just to find a real book? Am I just being too "get off my lawn" or does this really bug anyone else? Should we find this seller and "convince" them to stop doing it? We can bring Moose and Rocco for their persuasive assistance.

I bought a few of these to make mock-up slabs, so I could my real copies away in a safe place. It's super annoying, but they are useful. However, they are really low resolution. They'll look good 5 feet away, but not up close.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, JollyComics said:

Link?

Type in any classic GA book and there will be a bunch of photocopy listings. Chamber of Chills 19, Black Cat 50, etc. I even saw one for Eerie (the magazine) #23 - so they make them for newer books as well. I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the photocopy editions he makes are from defunct companies, as to not get a C&D letter from an active publisher.

You could just exclude the word "photocopy" from the title/subject search for the ones that bother to put the word in their titles by just including a "-photocopy" (note the - sign) in the search.  Of course if they put "not a photocopy" in the subject you may be screwed, but most won't do that. lol This could at least reduce the quantity of garbage.

A few other things that are annoying :

1) "CGC 5.0" ... you look and it's not even slabbed.  Say what?
2) "CGC 6.5" ... you look and it's a CBCS slab.
3) "Not CGC" ... yes, we know... it's a CBCS slab.  They do this so a search for CGC comics returns these CBCS, PGX, etc. comics, too.

Edited by Telegan

I will admit to buying a few as fillers until I can either locate or afford the real deal.  There are two sellers that I have dealt with, and both will also sell just covers, one for $6, the other for $30.  These are great if you have a coverless copy, or one so ragged that you'd prefer a nice looking one instead.