• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facsimile or Original.
3 3

27 posts in this topic

I just purchased a comic that was graded by CGC. They will say if it is a facsimile in the description on the top correct? Because the one I purchased was a 1st edition. Nowhere does it say facsimile. The Spiderman I purchased does say Facsimile. 

Do you have a picture of the books, Cert#, or title (there are a lot of spider-man books).

You said you purchased a "1st edition", then say you purchased a facsimile...

Is this ultimate fallout #4?

On 5/20/2023 at 8:49 PM, DougC said:

Controversy of modern shenanigans not withstanding CGC is actually very good at identifying and labeling facsimile/reprint books and can generally be trusted to supply such information.

hm

20210127_113357.jpg.8d00e6bbe3bd19a83e81c4e58614855f.jpg20210127_113409.jpg.29aba61cfe27f2919331fba865984804.jpg

They have since fixed the census of this mistake. 

That said. It would probably be best if the OP just post a picture if he is in doubt. 

1 look from most of the board members will tell you if it is correct or not.

It is unfortunate, but I would not solely believe CGC. 

First off, I am a she. Secondly, here is the comic in questions photo. I looked up the certificate number and it does not say facsimile like my Spiderman one does. That is why I asked the question. Does CGC put if it is a facsimile or not. I am newer to this but I could never afford a 9.0 or higher of the first Black Panther comic. I will examine it when it gets here and take it to a local I have been using and trust. It wasn't a fortune but I like to check. With this being an online purchase. I have to have some faith that it is what is being  advertised. They have sold numerous things and have a 100% rating. So, I just have to wait now. 

s-l400.jpg

Outside of the rare occurrences (pictured above) CGC will note on the label if a comic is a facsimile, reprint, second print, and so forth.

This is one aspect of the company that can be trusted combined with personal understanding of what you may purchase (in case of a miss label).

welcome to the forums.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:54 AM, CheekyGeek said:

First off, I am a she. Secondly, here is the comic in questions photo. I looked up the certificate number and it does not say facsimile like my Spiderman one does. That is why I asked the question. Does CGC put if it is a facsimile or not. I am newer to this but I could never afford a 9.0 or higher of the first Black Panther comic. I will examine it when it gets here and take it to a local I have been using and trust. It wasn't a fortune but I like to check. With this being an online purchase. I have to have some faith that it is what is being  advertised. They have sold numerous things and have a 100% rating. So, I just have to wait now. 

s-l400.jpg

Welcome to the boards!

Yes that is an original and not a facsimile. 

On 5/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, CheekyGeek said:

Yes, I wanted to know if they had to put if it was a facsimile or not. It seems from my research and most peoples responses that they do. Thank you for the welcome! I am not claiming to know everything. Nor would I want to. I just want to collect and enjoy comics. Something I wasn't afforded that luxury as a kid. 

Yes. CGC is supposed to separate and place notations about reprints, facsimile, second printings, etc. Although as I showed above there have been some mistakes.  

Which is why you did the right thing questioning it. 

Since you mentioned it (Spider-man) one of the bigger issues CGC had with labels of Ultimate Fallout 4 there were a few they incorrectly have labels that look like a first that are not..  HUGE difference between the price on those. 

There also were a few with special labels (characters) that are Blue label that have restoration to be aware of. 

Good thing is that you found the community of collector's that will gladly help and there is a TON of information here. 

On 5/21/2023 at 8:54 AM, CheekyGeek said:

s-l400.jpg

It’s not a facsimile.  The 30 cent price on the left top corner of the comic cover is a good indication of age as new books are $4 or $5 each.  And of course the cgc label indicates that it’s the Bronze Age run by the year just below the title of the book.  Nice book and welcome to the boards