• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Lose Commission Requests and Alienate People
5 5

76 posts in this topic

After a month of missing out on pieces and lists at shows/online; an artist dragging their feet for 2 years on a commission, missing their own appointed deadline and me cancelling it in the end (as I was tired of having funds set aside, delaying it constantly and they literally doubled the budget we initially agreed on), as well as listing other pieces they agreed to sell me; and now a very awkward commission request I wanted to get some opinions as to whether I'm just an oddball that needs to give up and move on in this hobby. Seriously, brutally honest opinions welcome.

I've blurred out the artist and request, because whilst I'm great at digging my own grave deeper all of the context needed is already there.

Screenshot_20230526-1550462.thumb.png.2374971d9045782386a3d0f7fcc2608e.png

Screenshot_20230526-1550523.thumb.png.bea5623c7498af2d578db1e81727e7d8.png

Screenshot_20230527-1930082.thumb.png.4a305a9c3f42f26ecf8959e60152005d.png

Feel like I’m on Reddit. I’m gonna say ESH. I can see how your phrasing in the highlighted below could be construed as him being a consolation prize… but his reaction seems a bit extreme. A lot of artists are delicate creatures. Doesn’t seem like you’d get what you wanted from the artist at this point, so I’d just move on from that one. 

F87A51EC-F369-44EE-BCEC-51F3BBE6FE6F.jpeg

You hurt his feelings by implying he's a runner-up in the line-up of desired artists for that particular book, so he's not exactly commission-friendly to you.  Maybe try some of the other artists who 'got rid'?

Edited by The Voord

Feels like another "love the art, hate the artist" thread.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I imagine that this is just one of hundreds of interactions this artist has had with people treating them like they're lucky to get a given commission. 

Really, who would get excited about drawing or creating something under those circumstances?  I know I wouldn't.   2c

On 5/27/2023 at 8:37 PM, Will_K said:

If an artist doesn't want (or like) taking on commissions.  I'm OK with that. 

But it seems like the artist took offense to being asked to take on a commission.  That's different.

I always assume we're not getting the full story or context.  :preach:

On 5/27/2023 at 9:37 PM, Will_K said:

If an artist doesn't want (or like) taking on commissions.  I'm OK with that. 

But it seems like the artist took offense to being asked to take on a commission.  That's different.

artist seems to have an inferiority complex

OP starts off referencing the convention that the artist will be attending.  So networking, signing books, doing panels, etc.  I assume the artist won't be doing any sketching at that event or selling art that was drawn at home.  The artist has already explained that art tools (nibs) and materials (paper) are hard to replace.  Totally understandable.  I like a certain kind of keyboard for my PC (the classic Model M) and I have an extra one in "mint condition" for just in case.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:59 PM, Will_K said:

The artist has already explained that art tools (nibs) and materials (paper) are hard to replace.

Is this true?  Are there special implements that are only used for comic book character commissions?  I could understand during the Pandemic and "supply chain" but the local art stores don't seem to have any lack now.

As suggested above, this looks like one the OP should just walk away from.  Money's one thing, but some things just aren't worth the psychic pressure.