• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“OCD” tape on spine
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have a run of silver age marvel books where it looks like almost every book has a small piece of perfectly placed tape on the top and bottom corners of the spine which folds covering about an .25 inch across the front and back cover. It doesn’t look like it was needed but it looked like the original owner did this to preserve his collection. I quickly remembered doing the same thing when I was 10 with my baseball sticker books where if I saw a knick on a corner I felt it was going to peel so I’d place a tiny piece of tape on the edge. Looks messy now and totally OCD but that’s how I was so I feel this comic collector was the same way

anyway, what type of grading am I looking at due to these little pieces of tape?

Edited by miscus555

On 5/29/2023 at 5:54 PM, miscus555 said:

I have a run of silver age marvel books where it looks like almost every book has a small piece of perfectly placed tape on the top and bottom corners of the spine which folds covering about an .25 inch across the front and back cover. It doesn’t look like it was needed but it looked like the original owner did this to preserve his collection. I quickly remembered doing the same thing when I was 10 with my baseball sticker books where if I saw a knick on a corner I felt it was going to peel so I’d place a tiny piece of tape on the edge. Looks messy now and totally OCD but that’s how I was so I feel this comic collector was the same way

anyway, what type of grading am I looking at due to these little pieces of tape?

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:

One time, I had a beautiful Doctor Strange #1 NM but the nitwit taped over both staples, taped inside cover where the staples are then taped over the staples on the centerfold.  Finally, the nitwit taped around the UNCUT marvel value stamp.

Unfortunately I do not have the pictures but I can't believe the nitwit with OCD taped it all over NM copy!!

I have seen books - under CGC's current standard (adopted 4/30/2013) - grade as high as 7.5 with a very small amount of tape. 

Things to consider: This much tape I would not consider "a very small amount". You have two pieces of tape probably 1/2 inch each. That might be small but not very small.  And then there is the fact that the tape isn't really sealing any tear or defect. Just a reinforcement.   I believe the BEST grade you could get is 7.0-7.5.  This is also how the grading is done with a defect like this. If the book is otherwise a 4.0 the small amount of tape probably has no effect on the grade. If the book is an 8.0 a small effect on the grade. If the book were a 9.4 it's BIG hit on the grade, because it is likely limited to 7.0-7.5 by the tape alone. 

Edited by Tony S

On 5/30/2023 at 8:59 AM, marvelmaniac said:

This article is 10 years old but is the last I heard about CGC and tape, however, I can only go by what is on the web and what is stated on this site.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

So is amateur tape still blue label vs. pro Japan paper reinforcement the work of the PLOD devil?

20230622_082027.jpg