• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do CGC lose comics and what happens when they do?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I have had a (economy tier) submission with CGC for close to a year now. I've chased a few times recently to see what the issue is and now they tell me they can't find my books :-(

Anyone had CGC lose their books? What did they do?

IIRC; they will "launch" and investigation and then if they can't find some noodley way to blame you, they eventually pay out what you claimed the value of the book was on the submission form. They used to offer to replace the book but I don't think they do that anymore.

They lost two big Golden Age books I had submitted for over a year, they just got lost in the shuffle and only when I inquired about them (after already giving it a few extra months) did they realize what had happened and launched in inquiry. They eventually found them both though and credited my account a small amount to make up for it.

On 6/6/2023 at 9:53 PM, Sauce Dog said:

They lost two big Golden Age books I had submitted for over a year, they just got lost in the shuffle and only when I inquired about them (after already giving it a few extra months) did they realize what had happened and launched in inquiry. They eventually found them both though and credited my account a small amount to make up for it.

Grading should have had been free. Over a year and THEN a few more months with inquiry?  Wow. 

I’m sorry that happened to you. 

About 15 years ago or so I dropped off a $6,500 book to CGC for on-site grading here in NYC. When I went back a day later to pick it up, the book was nowhere to be found. Apparently, CGC accidentally gave my book away to someone who was also picking up books that day. They just didn't know to whom. 

CGC cut me a check for 5K and gave me $1,500 worth of credit for future submissions. I was fine with that and just moved on.

Fast forward a couple of months later, I was talking to my go-to guy at customer service who was still upset that they had lost my book. He told me that he called up everyone that picked books that day and none of them had the book. There was just this one guy that never returned his calls. He left him numerous messages on his phone regarding the missing book and he never ever called him back.  Very bad move in his part in my humble opinion. We were pretty sure that he probably had the book, the thing was we just couldn't prove it. 

Or could we...hm

On 6/7/2023 at 2:32 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

They did not have to do that.

I agree, they did not have to loose both books once they arrived at their facilities - requiring the customer to stay on top of tracking the TAT, spending much time dealing with support calls over the course of several months, and also appeasing the client who owned one of those books.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I agree, they did not have to loose both books once they arrived at their facilities - requiring the customer to stay on top of tracking the TAT, spending much time dealing with support calls over the course of several months, and also appeasing the client who owned one of those books.

Do you know the board history of "... Did not have to do that?" If not, my response to your post harkened back to a CGC comment of "We did not have to do that" when grading cost increased.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Do you know the board history of "... Did not have to do that?" If not, my response to your post harkened back to a CGC comment of "We did not have to do that" when grading cost increased.

You explained it, which you did not have to do.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Ah! Curse my youth! :D 

On 6/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, DougC said:

IIRC; they will "launch" and investigation and then if they can't find some noodley way to blame you, they eventually pay out what you claimed the value of the book was on the submission form. They used to offer to replace the book but I don't think they do that anymore.

YMMV but you may have to go to extreme lengths to "prove" the books are worth what you put on the form.