• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

soft prices on Goldin?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

Are golden age books selling "low" on Goldin?  Here are all the books that closed tonight that I thought were great pickups for buyers.  That said, I wonder if they don't have the base yet to compete with HA, CC, Clink etc and prices simply are not going to be competitive for sellers yet.  What do you think of these results, and Goldin?

gold1.jpg

gold2.jpg

On 6/7/2023 at 10:35 PM, Primetime said:

Agreed. The cap 3 was a little light, on the contrary. 

Judging from your avatar, you might be a bit biased. :baiting:

But kidding aside, Cap 3 is a book that has turned out not to be as scarce as some of us thought. There are now 119 copies in the census. Prices are probably still strong for higher grade copies, but for someone who just wants a copy and would be happy with a 1.8, it probably doesn't make much sense to get into a bidding war.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:37 PM, tth2 said:

There will be people jumping out of windows if the Superman 1 goes for only $2.1m.  

I’m sure it will go for more and I’m probably wrong. Just had to go with my first gut instinct and it was saying 2.1 mil. We shall see!

On 6/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m sure it will go for more and I’m probably wrong. Just had to go with my first gut instinct and it was saying 2.1 mil. We shall see!

I don't think your estimate was wrong. It isn't an Action 1 or a Tec 27. It's probably 3rd behind those two, but it's a distant third. Not only that, but CGC has not made any distinction on their labels between the first, second, and third printings, so you have a weird situation where reprints are selling at the same price level as first editions. I'm not sure why that hasn't been a more contentious issue.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:02 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think your estimate was wrong. It isn't an Action 1 or a Tec 27. It's probably 3rd behind those two, but it's a distant third. Not only that, but CGC has not made any distinction on their labels between the first, second, and third printings, so you have a weird situation where reprints are selling at the same price level as first editions. I'm not sure why that hasn't been a more contentious issue.

Yeah I love me some Supes 1 like the next guy, but 100% agree definitely a distant 3rd to the big two. As far as the printings super interesting point and crazy that’s been missed! Were the reprintings printed in lesser or higher numbers than the 1st edition? And I’m just curious are you saying you think they should/could be going for more, or selling for less than the 1st edition?

On 6/6/2023 at 10:06 PM, Microchip said:

The current clink auctions has just finished for me.   A full strike out on my bids.   Some of the books I could have chased further, but it's always becomes a mental equation at that point about whether the other guy would have kept going as well :ohnoez:

Some soft results in the $3k-10k range of books, but I keep seeing a lot of fluctuation as a general rule in this price bracket.   The differences in one book to another (same grade) is often 1,000's at a time.

Overall, no ease in sight.

On 6/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, october said:

Printings supposedly went in decending volume order, with the first edition the largest. You can differentiate them by the on sale date given in the house ad for Action 14. There are two versions of the ad which let you identify the first print and the third print. Not clear on how to identify the second print...maybe someone else knows more.

I forget.  what are the different printing markings?

On 6/12/2023 at 1:52 AM, Primetime said:

The first print Supe 1 has an Action 14 house ad that says “On sale June 2”. The 2nd/3rd prints have the same Action 14 ad but it says “Now on sale”

I don’t think there is a way to differentiate between a 2nd and 3rd print Supe 1…?

IMG_5826.jpeg

Are we sure the 2nd print didn't also say June 2nd and only the 3rd says "now on sale"? 

On 6/12/2023 at 2:52 AM, Primetime said:

The first print Supe 1 has an Action 14 house ad that says “On sale June 2”. The 2nd/3rd prints have the same Action 14 ad but it says “Now on sale”

I don’t think there is a way to differentiate between a 2nd and 3rd print Supe 1…?

IMG_5826.jpeg

Is that your sensation 1? I’d love one someday