• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures of Superman 500 platinum
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Hello all. I recently removed my adventures of Superman 500 platinum edition from the polybag, the removal went great, but I noticed that there was a piece of Jonathan Kent’s arm missing, I immediately checked the polybag, and there was nothing to indicate the polybag damaged the book. So my question is, is this a manufacturing error? Because that damage was on the book while inside the poly bag, which was sealed. 

IMG_1943.jpeg

708217029.327329.jpeg

IMG_2109.jpeg

IMG_2110.jpeg

IMG_2112.jpeg

Edited by Ramrod69
For clarity

These overlays had an issue where they sometimes would bubble or lift . Although yours does appear a little different.  Could you get better close ups of that specific area? 

Regardless of them being sealed a lot got damaged in the process as well as a TON of them having spine issues similar to yours with the NCB bend just left of Supermans cape. Which can be pressed out by a professional although if the overlay has any bubbles or is releasing then pressing would definitely not be recommend as it can cause more damage. 

On 6/13/2023 at 5:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It could be considered a MFG/distribution defect, but it should still be held against the grade.

So it’s a manufacturing error as it was damaged during the manufacturing process, why should that go against the grade? 

At some point, don’t we need to grade the book itself? It may be a manufacturers defect, but it takes away from the appearance and the quality of the book. If you had two books with the same grade and one had this defect and one did not, which would you choose? Why would you pick that one? There’s your answer. It is a nicer book without the defect no matter where the defect comes from, it’s still a defect. 

On 6/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, Ramrod69 said:

So it’s a manufacturing error as it was damaged during the manufacturing process, why should that go against the grade? 

On 6/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, Ramrod69 said:

So do all manufacturing errors 

On 6/13/2023 at 6:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It could be considered a MFG/distribution defect, but it should still be held against the grade.

This is correct.  It will be held against the grade.

That said some errors will still sell better than others. 

This specific book may get a slight increase for the error from some buyers, but ultimately it will depend on the actual grade given. In this case due to the bend that is visible (unless that can be pressed out with any damage to the overlay [I have used CFP / Joey when I have had these pressed]) then it might still grade out well. 

You can look in my journal where I have posted some of my results on the AOS 500 Platinum pressed. 

Good luck!

On 6/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, Ramrod69 said:

Most manufacturing errors like this get qualified by CGC, which means the grade would be affected, but the defect is ignored.

But whether it affects the grade or not, it will definitely affect the price. Who is even going to want that fugly copy?