• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita Sr. passes away at age 93.
10 10

95 posts in this topic

I started reading comics seriously near the end of Steve Ditko's run. When I saw the cover of ASM #39, I thought, "What the hull happened?" Opening the cover and finding a new artist was the explanation. Look, I love Ditko's run, but John Romita will always be my Spider-Man artist of choice.

RIP to one of the greatest artists of all time!

A huge loss to everyone who ever met him and the comic and art world at large. I exchanged greetings with him in San Diego, very briefly, and he was SUCH a nice guy! His impact at Marvel and the entire comics collecting hobby is incalculable!!! Given the unenviable task of replacing Spider-Man's co-creator, he did so with style and grace! He will be missed by most, but his artwork will live on for all!!! RIP Sir. 

Amazing Spider-Man 56 8.0 ow ss Romita front.jpg

RIP to a great artist..

Wow, @mysterio and I were talking on Saturday about JRSR how close he was to meeting him at a con in Chicago many years ago. Hands down my favorite Spidey artist who as others said was so consistently excellent. He and Neal Adams took characters they didn’t create and yet their versions became iconic in that when a lot people close their eyes its their version of the character they see. Raise a glass to a great one and a life well lived. You will be missed sir!

Another of my favs gone from the world.  A true comic legend. R.I.P.

Unfortunately, I only have one slabbed comic with works by JR, Sr.  It is signed by Junior, not Senior.  I'm sure I have some raw stuff, but I decided not to go through my big collection to find something.  This one is part of my private collection.  A JR, Sr. signed slab would've been awesome, but this one is still precious. :)

20230614_092705.jpg