• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old are you? And here is my story regarding comics.

125 posts in this topic

I am 37 soon to be 38 in January. I have been collecting since I was 5 but seriously collecting since I was 13(which means bagging and boarding).At 13 I started to travel to Manhattan and would buy from The Bat Cave on west 3rd St. and a few of the other comic stores in the area. I would also buy books from Pinochios on ave P in Brooklyn. Do any of you know Bell the owner? I used to buy aot of silver age books from Joe's Discount books on 19th Ave and 86th st as well. At 19 I started buying Golden Age books from Carlos Rosario(Brain Damage Comics) in Brooklyn. I even have some cards with lists of books I bought from Carlos on the back of them. I used to make time payments. All Batman and Detective books with some Timelys.

Unfortunately for me I had to sell all of my books a few years ago as I hit some hard times financially.

i am just starting to buy books again.

This time it will be different as I will start with Key Golden Age books. My main focus this year will be a Batman 1 in at least 6.0 (hopefully the heritage 7.5 in January)or higher and The More Fun 54 at least an 8.0 but I want the Nova Scotia 9.0 that Metropolis has. That's my story. 893blahblah.gifsign-rantpost.gif

This time it will be different as I will start with Key Golden Age books. My main focus this year will be a Batman 1 in at least 6.0 (hopefully the heritage 7.5 in January)or higher and The More Fun 54 at least an 8.0 but I want the Nova Scotia 9.0 that Metropolis has. That's my story.

Wow, sounds like the hard times are over! Hope you reach your collecting goals this year!

I'm 41. I started reading prior to Kindergarten by working through my older brother's comics with my mother's help on the words I didn't understand. The first stories I read were FF 39-40, Spidey 31-32, FF 20, and a few others. Needless to say I was hooked!! I started buying comics on the newstand in a small midwest town and they were slim pickings. I soon found that going to garage sales allowed me to buy comcs cheaper and I liked the older Silver Age stories better than the early Bronze stuff on the newstands, though I still bought that too. I've collected on and off ever since, had full runs of nearly every marvel title (definitely liked Marvel better than DC) and have sold and rebuilt my collections a few times. I got into original art about 12 years ago and have been slowly moving in that direction since, although I am still focusing on building full runs of the pre-hero Marvel titles in 6.0 and better (if and when I can find them). With the advent of ebay and the Internet I've found that I find true enjoyment in finding hard to find items, which is why I'm focusing on nicer examples of the pre-hero genre -- they are still truly difficult to find and so the excitement is still there when I find one!

I buy and sell to support my collecting habits, and comics and art will always have more nostalgic and sentimental value to me than monetary value. When I start thinking of them as widgets instead of comics. I'll know my time is through. In spite of the recent controversies, I still love comics and comic art and will continue to seek out the stuff I love, primarily Silver Age Kirby and Dikto Marvel comics and art.

yay.gifheadbang.gif

I'm 41 and have been collecting / reading comics since I was 6. I still own the first comic I ever bought, a Justice League 83 (1970). This book had a lasting effect on me, being a JSA crossover issue. It started a hunger for answers, like who were these new heroes and why were there 2 earths. Great stuff!!!!!!! cloud9.gif

I'm 18 and a poor University student. I buy what i can, and have spend way too much of my money on comics. I have about 200, with a couple nice SA books and a couple cool old guide-worthless GA books in my collection. I try to concentrate on filling out my ASM collection so thati won't spend money on everything... but i still do.

On the bright side.. i still have lots of time to keep at it!

34. Started collecting comics in 82 when a neighbor kid got a box from his uncle and hauled them around the neighborhood, selling them at 25 cents a pop. A lot of crud, but I bought tons. When I graduated HS, I started collecting pre-code horror in Fine or better, made it to about 350 or so issues and decided to sell 'em(to Redbeard's Book Den) when I bought a new house and had to furnish the damn thing(I still regret selling them). Now I collect Silver/Bronze and early 80's DC exclusively and I still read Moderns. Am proud to say that I've read every comic in my collection besides the few HG slabs that I own.

I am 27 years and 1 month old.

I originally began collecting comics when I was about 12. As about a junior in high school, I decided it just wasn't cool, and I did not have the money, so I quit collecting in 1995. After going to college, and working a dead end job for a year, I went back to graduate school. Being an engineering graduate student, I actually get paid, so in early 2004 I decided I'd give some comics a try and I've been spending an average of about $30 a week since then.

hi

I am a fellow Brooklynite!

Yep,I shopped at Brain Damage comics in Park Slope Brooklyn[there gone now]

Also pinnochios on Mcdonals ave and in Ceasars Bay Bazaar.

Brain Damage had awesome golden age stuff.I saw multiple Action1s and mARVEL 1S THERE

Im 34 years old, and started collecting comic books at the age of 9.

Back in 1980, my cousin gave me about 40 of his beat-up bronze age books as a Christmas present to get me started. These books included Avengers #177 (battle against Korvac), X-Men #125-127 (battle against Proteus), ASM #194 (1st Black Cat), Captain America #234 (Cap. vs. DD), and Daredevil #160 (DD and Black Widow vs. Bullseye). I became hooked once I read these issues. I still have all of them even though I've upgraded in some cases.

I'm 18, and started seriously collecting at 16. I was introduced into comics from my wonderful mom who used to buy me the cards and toys starting when I was about 5. I've always loved X-men, and I just eventually got into collecting GA/SA/BA books. There are many runs of SA books I want to get so I have a long way to go. I eventually hope to have an X-men run from #1-300, Avengers #1-250, TOS #39-99, Sgt Fury complete and JIM #83-end of Simonson run.

I grew up on Ocean Parkway and Avenue M,So Pinochio's was my spot growing up(40 now).They never had any great key books,but they had a decent back issue inventory.I remember vividly my dad taking me to the Discount Books store on 19th and 86th(do you rememeber that sun faded ASM #1 reprint that was in the window for like 25 years....lol).I would go through the 25 cent boxes all the time,with that damn black marker ink that was across the top of all of them.lol893applaud-thumb.gifHe seemed like a miserable old guy,but when your a kid,they all seem miserable confused-smiley-013.gif.I think I remember he had an ASM #1 in the glass window by the register,for like $400( in 1975 I think) but don't quote me on that...........that place is still there,but I won't go in cause I still get acid flashbacks just looking at that store from the train window...........loltonofbricks.gif