• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old are you? And here is my story regarding comics.

125 posts in this topic

I am 32 years old. I started with comic books when I was 5 with The LAst Starfighter #1. From there I got hooked on Image and Valiant which was super popular at the time. I always enjoyed older comics and marveled at the artwork and how it has changed. Some time when I was a teen I went straight for MAd MAgazine and that was my collecting habit. I was an early user of ebay, which got me some cool stuff as well as the old yahoo marketplace. I still like to read comics but collecting them isn't for me anymore as I don't have room at my place. I do pick up the occasional issue that I figure is an "investment". I miss swap meets and yard sales, they are not around as much anymore.

A warning to everyone full of nostalgia - I picked up the blu-ray release of The Last Starfighter a while ago and barely managed to get through a viewing. Keep your memories as memories, it'll be better that way! :lol:

phantalien - thanks for sharing and reminding me of my this.

I watched it recently and got through on the kitsch factor alone.

I am 39. I started collecting comics after someone gave me a GI Joe # 10. My dad purchased me GI Joe # 18 right after that and I started collecting nearly the entire run of GI Joe from #23 on up. I still remember my mom buying me Transformers#1 :signofftopic: off the corner news stand of the small town I live in. At around 13 I got into collecting Uncanny X-Men and I have the entire run of that from #200-400 :tonofbricks: ,including a few random issues from the 60's up to 2012. (Yup close to 40 years time span) Its close to 300 issues. Now I am recently returned to collecting and am trying to fill in the last issues of GI Joe and in the last few years I have gotten into silver age CGC books.I love comics collecting and I have kept almost all of my originals. Make mine Marvel! rantrant

I am 25 and I have been reading comics off and on since I was 12. I just got into back issues recently though, as the few comics I read in high school and college were independents.

That means that you registered here at age 15.

I'm 18 and a poor University student. I buy what i can, and have spend way too much of my money on comics. I have about 200, with a couple nice SA books and a couple cool old guide-worthless GA books in my collection. I try to concentrate on filling out my ASM collection so thati won't spend money on everything... but i still do.

On the bright side.. i still have lots of time to keep at it!

You were 9.

Hi I just want to say thank you for your kind words about Carlos, He was a very good business man and loved his job and hobby very much. He truly enjoyed helping the young people that came in to ask or purchased comic books. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago from a heart attach. He was young . I am his ex wife DJ and I found this group just searching Brain Damage Comics and I am so happy to hear good things about him and his business. We worked very hard to bring it up to what it was from just opening the original storefront on Prospect Ave with just 5 boxes of Comics. We did many conventions and purchased many collections. He was very good with the youngsters they loved him And yes one of the kids he gave a job to has become a highly recognized Comic Artist for Marvel I believe The new Ghost Rider.. he is Damion Scott, he came to us when he was a teen and asked Carlos for work and he hired him right on the spot. He has worked for DC Comics as well. I am very proud of that and of him. I just wanted to say that Carlos Rosario was a very good person and good to his customers and always went out of his way to help them in anyway he could. Thank you again DJ

Why did Brain damage close?

Pinocchios is still there but there stuff is weak and always was.[no golden or silver age books]

I used to live around the corner from Brain Damage, at 50 Ocean Parkway. It was a great comic book store. I heard the rumors about drugs but never witnessed anything like that during my patronage there. The owner was a real cool dude, and he has regretfully passed away. I actually bumped into one of his sons in a forum, he gave me the news about his passing. His son now plays in a band called Sons of Eden. They have a pretty cool music video on Youtube, he's the drummer. He told me that one of the dudes that worked for his dad at the shop went on to become an artist for Marvel, or Image, I can't really remember which company right now, either way that's pretty awesome. I often dreamed of becoming an comic book artist, I used to visit Brain Damage almost every day, loved that place.

Hi I wanted to say thank you to you also for your kind words about Carlos and the Store it was a very nice place to go and shop around he did a great job on the new store Memory Lane. Just a little correction My son is the drummer for Ghost Of Eden :) That is the name of the band . And again thank you . It is sad that Carlos passed but its so good to hear good things about him thank you . I am his ex wife the mother of his children

I'm 63 years old so you young whippersnappers better listen up here!

My own first exposure to comics was from the comic section of the Saturday London Free Press in the late fifties. The Uncle Remus and his Tales of Brer Rabbit strip may have been the very first to capture my attention:

uncleremus4_zps3a64b562.jpg

I'm still a fan of the Uncle Remus characters after all these years and I have dozens of copies of the strip in my collection today.

Other strips I remember(?) enjoying in the London Free Press in 1958-59 were Mickey Mouse, D ick Tracy, The Lone Ranger, Blondie, Archie, Dennis the Menace and Nancy. I still like all these today with the exception of the last two.

The first comic books I can remember reading in the spring and summer of 1959 featured Felix's Nephews Inky & Dinky. I recall my buddy and I from across the street thought that Dinky was a very cool name! They were of course rather beat up and I have no clue as to the actual issue(s) but here's one from my collection today:

03-07-201152115PM.jpg

The first comics I can recall buying were the Cicero's Cat 1 and 2 in the summer of 1959. I bought them at Ken's Variety on Wharncliffe Road in London, Ontario and I very clearly remember my father initially telling me to take #2 back because he thought I already had a copy!

CicerosCat1.jpg

CicerosCat2.jpg

Though I was already familiar with Superman and Batman comics from the barber shop or wherever, the first superhero comics I distinctly remember reading were the Adventures of the Fly in early 1961. I remember reading them at Lamont & Perkins drugstore a block away on Wortley Road before they chased me out, at which point I'd head for Tyler & Zettel's pharmacy a few blocks away. I believe they only stocked Archie, Dell and Classics Illustrated comics in these drug stores which is why the Fly was the first superhero to catch my attention. I'm not sure which issue of the Adventures of the Fly first captured my attention but it may have been #11 or #12:

Fly2011_zps2y9vjdsq.jpg

Bethlehem copy

06-08-201182826PM.jpg

In any event, I very clearly remember seeing these ads in Adventures of the Fly 13 heralding the introduction of Fly Girl and the Jaguar:

02-06-201181947PM.jpg

02-06-201181940PM.jpg

I also read through the Adventures of the Jaguar 1 when it first hit the newstand:

31-05-201174146PM.jpg

It included this dandy ad for the mysterious Fly Girl:

24-04-201380317PM_zps0e246512.jpg

A copy of Space Adventures belonging to the older brother of a buddy of mine featuring the powerful Captain Atom further whetted my appetite for the pajama brigade. The memory of these pages featuring a Nikita Kruschev like character has never left me:

24-04-201380256PM_zps7a5d29c1.jpg

24-04-201380303PM_zps49d45dbe.jpg

The first DC superhero comic I can specifically remember reading was Green Lantern 11 in the spring of 1962 which a buddy on a farm outside of London had. I still remember how it filled me with a sense of awe and wonder at the time.

GreenLantern11.jpg

A copy of Justice League of America 8 that I read at summer camp a couple of months later that same year clinched the deal:

21-08-201182441PM.jpg

When I got home from summer camp, I marched right down to Les' Variety on the corner to check out the comics on the spinner rack. The first superhero comic I bought was Justice League 14.

02-07-201164237PM.jpg

I eventually succeeding in trading for all but a couple of the issues of Justice League down to issue #4:

02-07-201164222PM.jpg

The other superhero comics I bought off the spinner rack at Les' Variety as part of that first batch included Detective 307 and Batman 150:

02-07-201264827PM.jpg

An Adventures of the Jaguar and a Superboy or a World's Finest were also part of that first batch which soon ended up in the trash when my older sister convinced my mother that comics would surely corrupt me. And of course she was right. They have!

But my appetite for more comics had already been whetted by DC house ads such as these (although I haven't a clue as to where I first saw them):

Atom1Jun-Jul1962_zps85fe96de.jpg

Superman1561962_zps1b420ed4.jpg

Within a few months I was back to buying comics again and here I am today!

I still want you young punks to stay off my lawn though, hear?

:)

I'm not sure if any of you guys still read these forums.

No, we never read these forums. We carefully avoid all the writing and just look at the pretty pictures whenever we click on a thread.

:insane:

The strange part is the OP of this thread is a convicted rapist! Kind of jarring to see his user name here on page 1. :eek:

It's like the Dennis the Menace thread in Silver that was started by the convicted child molester. Who knew that his interest in Dennis was sexual?!?! :sick:

Just goes to show you never know who you're rubbing virtual elbows with on the internet. (shrug)

The strange part is the OP of this thread is a convicted rapist! Kind of jarring to see his user name here on page 1. :eek:

It's like the Dennis the Menace thread in Silver that was started by the convicted child molester. Who knew that his interest in Dennis was sexual?!?! :sick:

Just goes to show you never know who you're rubbing virtual elbows with on the internet. (shrug)

Wasn't he also a Police officer?