• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old are you? And here is my story regarding comics.

125 posts in this topic

He had a Great inventory didnt he? re/ Brain Damage Comics

He used to call me when he would get a nice collection in and I would get to go through all of the books. I remember going through a whole run of Batman books. He went through them after and said how could you miss this one? He was holding up a Batman 47.

He tried to convince me to buy a Superman 1 which as I recall was at least a VF for 12 grand. He said he would let me pay it off for as long as I needed. I wish I would have said yes.

I have a million stories on Golden Age books and opportunities.

My last was the CGC 9.4 Batman 11 that I was offered by John Verzyl.

I am still extremely upset that i could not buy it as we had discussed it for months.

He even got it graded for me so I would know for sure it was at least a 9.4.

Just turned 29 for the first time. heh.

Started collecting in the summer of 86 when my parents stuck me on a plane across the country, at age 9, and figured I needed something to do on the flight. One of those books was Classic X-men 2, which I believe was UXM 94. As good place as any to start I think.

I read quite a bit of new stuff, $50/week of Marvel and various Independents, and collect high grade Marvel Silver/Bronze.

Yes i forgot about that store under the B train elevated train tracks.You know in the early 1970s he sold a Detective 27 for 450 dollars out of that store.I remember them talking about this crazy guy who paid an insane sum for this book.
Before my time bro,I got there after 1975 and my dad laughed in my face when I told him I wanted a $400 Spidey #1 for Xmas..........let's just say I ended up with a TCR racing set.Which was pretty cool when your 10,but now I wish I would have had the Spidey,which cost me $3000 last year...........live and learn,I guess..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes i forgot about that store under the B train elevated train tracks.You know in the early 1970s he sold a Detective 27 for 450 dollars out of that store.I remember them talking about this crazy guy who paid an insane sum for this book.
I was such a insufficiently_thoughtful_person back then,I didn't even know that was Batman's first app.....I was all Spidey back then,still am..what an #!@%$% I am .I wish someone would invent a time machine already............

Hi

Verzyl has great stuff too.I believe he is a serious Marvel collector,But C.A is too far for me.

John is actually in Texas now. He buys tons of real estate there with his sister. The guy is worth gazillions. Just remember after Chuck he was the largest owner of Mile Highs. he still owns about 3000 Mile High books.

38 this year, and have been reading/collecting since I was 5 in Fairbanks Alaska.

I remember reading the richie rich comics and archie comics as a kid and then doing some trading and getting a very old comic (It was probably a year or two old at the time) Warlock 6 (I think it's a 1972 or 1973 issue). It opened my eyes to superheroes. I had other 20 cent DC's and 25 cent marvels that I was buying off the stands like Jungle Action, Spiderman and Astonishing Tales, but that one book hooked me for some reason. And yes, I still have it, with my name in ink on the cover. I cut out every marvel value stamp I could from those years, but never realized that there was a book you could order to put them in. I still have all the stamps that I cut out in a racketball can. I am such a packrat.

I continued to buy comics by walking about to the neighborhood store on the way home from school and then moved to Anchorage in 1975-1976. It was a bad year to move, as I never saw the X-Men 94 on the stands, but I bought the 93.

I had about 400 comics when I moved to Anchorage and they were all stored in tiered boxes that teachers got their manuals in for high school classes. My parents were both teachers. I started to walk up to neighborhood G&G used books store and I'd pick up comics as they came in. I got a few great books there for pennies apiece. I remember picking up Iron Man 30-70 for a couple of bucks.

I met an older collector going to G&G in around 1977 and he came over to trade. After he picked through my collection, and determined that the best thing I had was a high grade Conan #33 white cover, I realized.....damn......and then I really started to learn about condition, and what makes a comic valuable. The all mighty dollars spoke to me and I started to collect/invest (in my mind).

After than I picked up my FF#5, Hulk #5, and many other semi keys as they came up. Over the years I amassed about 5000 comics and then I came across a Superman 59 in an antique store for $20. I bought it and was hooked by the Golden Age. I bought the few that I ever saw in Alaska, and then whenever I traveled, I'd search out stores and fill the comic wonderlust.

During that time, I bought my grail (at the time) from the local store in Anchorage. TOS 39 VF or better for $300. My biggest purchase to date. I came across a couple of coverless supersnipe issues in Washington, and that hooked on collection "the boy with the most comics in america". I'm now two issues shy from collecting every appearance.

I collected on my own for years and more comics came my way so I had about 10,000, then I did a local show and met another collector/dealer. At the time, he had about 100,000 comics. I was just out of college and was working and buying my first house. I ended up renting a room to this other collector, and then when the rent was due, if he spent too much money on comics, I'd get comics instead of money. It was frusterating, and it lasted for about 3 years. We parted ways as friends. During that time, my collection went from 10,000 to about 25,000. I was picking up some great stuff. We bought a few great original owner collections and flipped a fair number of books. I went to the San Diego Con in 1991 and flipped multiple NM copies of Marvel Spotlight 5, Astonishing Tales 25, Warlock 9-15 and many other bronze books. They were all purchased from the original owner who was employeed by Golden Age Collectibles out of Seattle back in the 70's. I still have numerous sweet NM bronze from this collection. I picked up a JLA 1 (undisclosed trimmed and color touch from Geoffries Comics for $200 or $300. I didn't know any better, but it was nice looking. ) and hundreds of other comics from many people. I met many of the big dealers, but they wouldn't know me from Adam now. The collection I brought to sell and barter on the floor paid for my room, flight, food, comics and entertainment. After that trip, I realized how much restoration was prevalent, and went back to re-learn about comics, so as to try not to get burned.

I was married in 1994 and now have two great kids, so collecting takes a back burner, but it's still in my blood.

I sold my VF/NM Action 28 for $600 to buy a wedding gift for my wife (I still have a VF/NM Action 30 unrestored, so it's not too painful.) I'm buying what I like now, and selling what I'm willing to part with. I've always had a tough time paying over $500 for any comic, but that may change in the future. I do like to get a "deal" though.

If I can get my collection down to 10,000 not counting golden age or silver age keys within the next 10 years, I'll call it a success.

My best books are Planet 1 VF/NM restored, Action 30 VF/NM, All Star 9 FN/VF, TOS 39 VF+, B& B 34 VF+, Showcase 30 VF, Supersnipe entire run but V1#8 (VF/NM) in particular. I have many more favorites, but these are just sooooo pretty.

That's the long and short of it.

Enjoy your collections....I know I do.

It's starting to sound like an AA meeting here. Not that I actually know what an AA meeting sounds like.

I'm 53 so I'm old enough to be your Mom. So sit up straight and show a little respect.sumo.gif

I came over on a boat from Germany in the 50's. My Dad's ESL teacher suggested he buy comics for my mom and me as a way to learn English. Well it obviously worked.

I remember Archies and I know there were probably some Westerns because I was cowboy crazy. I thought the U.S. was like the old west and I was reeeally disappointed when I found out New Jersey was nothing like that.

To read, I absolutely love Fables. I'm working my way through Kabuki. But for cover collecting nothing beats Bronze horror. Why you ask? Because mom said so. laugh.gif

I am 34 years old. I started reading off and on since I was 7. I started collecting in earnest at 16 with Sandman, Swamp Thing and Hellblazer. Have almost all of each. I dropped out in 96 due to financial reasons. I am pretty much a DC/Vertigo guy, so December last year when I got a decent job, I started collecting all that I had missed since then. I finished that up in August. Now, I am collecting GA. Mostly, Whiz Comics, Captain Marvel Adventures, Police Comics and Plastic Man. Soon as I get those out of the way, I will be going after some of the non-superhero Silver and Bronze Horror.

My parents lived all over Europe when I was a kid and I got interested in DC and Marvel. I had the strangest taste in comics back then, of the roughly 250 that survived, none are now worth more than a few dollars… no ASM, no Byrne X-men, no Hulk 181, but plenty of Iron Man,Action Comics, Super Friends, Black Goliath, Champions, Legion of Super-heroes etc…

When I was 16 my parents settled in Belgium and a few years later I went to university and I lost all interest in comics and became a record- and CD collector.

I used to collect first print 60's and 70's vinyl albums and CDs...

I was the biggest music nut around....

Started when I was about 7 when an uncle gave me about 30 Elvis 45's, including two Sun singles !

From the age of 17 I did all kind of after-school jobs so I could fly to New York twice a year just to buy records for three days in a row in the Lower East Side and on St. Mark's place.

About five years ago a fire destroyed most of the apartment where my wife and I lived and we only got a small portion back from the insurance company, I lost more than 7000 record albums and CDs.

I can still recall the smell of 1000's of CDs burned to a crisp and 1000's of vinyl albums lying like melted tar on the floor...

I managed to salvage about 500 of them and haven't bought a single CD or record since....

Picking up the pieces wiped us out financially and emotionally, but we carried on (my wife was pregnant at the time of the fire, luckily nobody was home when it occurred). I was at an all time low, because not only was my home gone and all the souvenirs and memories from my entire life spent all over Europe, my prized music collection was destroyed, never to be replaced. So in this hour of darkness, I turned to my childhood love; comics.

My mother has always kept the comics I bought as a child when we were living in England, and I rekindled the flame. Maybe I used the collecting as a crutch for not having to think too much about all the bad stuff that happened, but it worked. We bought a new house, are managing financially and during the last 5 years I have bought about 10.000 comics.

I've been a comics-fan all my life, but a collector since 2000...oh and I'm 37 frustrated.gif

There've been some very interesting stories in this thread, and in the case of yours, Chrome, very grim - but at least you managed to bounce back. I'd forgotten you'd lived in England for a bit...

Started reading comics as soon as I could read - Tintin, Asterix, the British stuff (Beano, Dandy, Whizzer And Chips, Buster, Shoot!, Look And Learn, etc.) and Peanuts Sunday comic strips that my parents cut out of the Observer colour supplement.

I recall reading some Harvey stuff like Richie Rich, Casper, etc. when I was about 7 or 8. And I was 9 (in 1973) when, on holiday with my family, I found a shop near where we were staying that sold American comics. DCs only, though. But that was it.

Within six months I'd found my Aladdin's Cave - a squalid little shack off the Finchley Road in North London called Reedmore Books. I used to get my fix of DCs from there, and after a couple of years, Marvels.

I did take a break from collecting between 1985 and 1992, 'cause I didn't have enough money for both living and comics. Got back into the hobby after reading an issue of David and Keown's Hulk, would you believe.

There've been some very interesting stories in this thread, and in the case of yours, Chrome, very grim -

Yeah...it's grim up north wink.gif I got over it pretty quickly....and I'm not as materialistic as I used to be.

I recall reading some Harvey stuff like Richie Rich, Casper, etc. when I was about 7 or 8. And I was 9 (in 1973) when, on holiday with my family, I found a shop near where we were staying that sold American comics. DCs only, though. But that was it.

This brought back a long forgotten memory...In the 70's my grandmother used to take me with her to Spain every Easter holiday for a forthnight....in the afternoon she liked to nap and she wouldn't let me go out and play in the swimming pool on my own. So I had to stay in the room and try to nap as well. Which was not on mad.gif

But then I dicoverred a little corner shop that sold US comics....no superhero stuff, but lots and lots of Richie Rich, Disney and Casper..I got a comic a day, to read when nan was sleeping. I didn't like them that much, but they beat watching an old lady sleep... confused-smiley-013.gif

Forgotten all about that....

Oh and I took a break from 1985 till 2000....happy to say I missed most of the bad things that happened to comics, never saw and chromium or 3D covers, was never swept away by the speculation side of things and had never heard of Image when I returned. I think Secret Wars was the last comic I ever bought before I got back.

I'll be 38 in January as well. But I've only been collecting for about 5 years. Other than Batman 1-10 in VG, I'm mainly interested in reading good SA/BA stories.

36 going on 37, interested primarily in BA horror. I've been collecting primarily since 2001, having been a reader from 1979-1984. My first comic was probably given to me years earlier, when I was 6 or so (Detective Comics and The Spook). I simply grew out of it, but always wondered about the earlier titles/covers/artists etc. This interest eventually drew me back in several years ago.

I'm 42 and collected comics from age 10 to 16. Sold everything then to generate cash for my social life and musical equipment. I started up again when I was 20 and have been going ever since, in one way or another. I was a convention dealer for about 15 years but don't do that anymore, hey we have Ebay now for that! I've gone through several states of interest: the ASM and Uncanny X-Men stage, EC stage, "Bad Girl" stage, Batman stage, and several others. Currently still focusing on Bronze Age Horror and Batman a little as well. Overall interest slowing down to focus on other things for a while. My biggest comics failure is owning a very unsuccessful comic shop in my mid-20s. My biggest accomplishment is going to the San Diego con the last 13 years in a row, a tradition that will never stop for me.

When I was young, Garbage Pail Kids were coming out. I was mid-theft with a friend, when my father busted me (doh!, long story). My father proceeded to gather them all up, took me outside, and burned them on the grill to a fine crisp. My mother felt bad so she got me into sports cards (though I did deserve the burning). Since our sports cards store was also comic related, I slowly made the transition (though hated them at first). Originally had 2 titles and now I'm probably up to nearly 50 a month.

I'm 28 and have about 10,000. Largely interested in Modern, Copper, and Silver Age books. Modern and Copper interests are all over the place. Silver Age are focused in Marvel Super Hero books. Mostly Journey into Mystery, Avengers, Thor, and Daredevil. Not a big Bronze fan.

Pat

I am 33. Here is an interview I did for Scoop a few months back.

West Stephan was born May 16, 1972 in the San Fernando Valley, just north of downtown Los Angeles. He was raised in the valley. Although his family moved three times, they were never more than five miles away from their previous house. Last year, though, he moved last year to Sarasota, Florida when I joined the team at Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC), and in a way you could say he's been moving in that direction since he started buying comics as a 12-year-old in 1984.

He considered himself a collector as soon as he started, and he grew his passion into a broad-based enthusiasm for comics history. Eventually became a dealer. Since moving to CGC, he's grown it a step further, into a career, one that he didn't initially think he'd be interested in. That soon changed.

"I was skeptical at first and change can sometimes be scary, but there can be no doubt about CGC's impact on the market and the hobby as a whole," Stephan said of the period before he joined the company. "I was buying CGC-graded books from the start and never regretted any purchases. I know it is a valuable tool for buying and selling and I cannot picture this hobby without it."

Scoop talked with Stephan about his background in collecting and how he applies his experience.

Scoop: What was the first comic book you remember buying? What were the circumstances (where, when, etc.)?

West Stephan: The first comic I ever got was actually bought by my mother (thanks Mom)! It was May of 1984 and I had some birthday money to spend so my mother, brother and I went to Toys R Us. I spent about an hour making all the usual "monumental" toy decisions a typical 12-year-old makes. On our way to the counter my mother picked up two 3-pack bags of comics and offered to buy them for me and my brother. We naturally accepted. On the ride home I was in the back seat and I tore open into the bag to see what was inside. G. I. Joe # 21, 22 & 23 were inside. I started to read #21 and quickly noticed there was nothing to read, the pages had no words on them, anywhere! I thought perhaps it was a mistake made by the publisher. I looked through the other two issues and saw that they had words. It wasn't till a few moments later I realized it was that all silent issue, nothing but art. Perhaps that's way to this day I am more interested in the art of the comic than the story it tells.

Scoop: How long from the time you first bought a comic book until you considered yourself a collector?

WS: I considered myself a collector right away! I asked my mother for a subscription to G.I. Joe and Web of Spider-Man and since she was eager to get me to read it was not a hard sell. A short time after that I found out about comic stores and went there with my brother. Naturally we asked for back issues to G.I. Joe and we spent all we could to get the run. Since my allowance was extremely small I was not able to afford the first two issues like my brother could. I bought #3 and was ecstatic about it. I loved that huge robot on the cover! It took me many months and lots of lawn mowing to finally afford those first two issues. G.I. Joe #1-20 is my personal Golden Age.

Scoop: What were your early favorites?

WS: Superman and Spider-Man were early favorites along with G.I. Joe and Transformers. I was watching the cartoons, reading the comics and playing with the toys.

Scoop: How did your collecting develop from that point?

WS: One day I went into the comic shop and decided I wanted to see their earliest comic. I knew Superman was old so I asked to see those back issues. The earliest one they had was a beat copy of Superman #127 for $10.80 featuring the first Titano. I bought it, went home and decided it was too ugly so I "fixed" it with a black marker, funny how all those creases seemed to disappear!

Shortly after that I met a few comic friends and learned about comic conventions. My first con was in downtown LA at the Bonaventure hotel. I was in shock! I saw my first Golden Age books there as well as just about every Silver Age key. I blew all of my cash, about $140 or so. I went home penniless but grinning ear to ear.

I was 15 when I bought my first Golden Age book, All Star Comics #1. I was buying many key silver age books like Amazing Fantasy #15, Tales of Suspense #39 and Journey Into Mystery #83. I was 17 when I first found out about pedigree books like the Edgar Church/Mile High collection and the San Francisco books. Around this time Ernie Gerber's Photo Journal came out. Staring at 22,000+ Golden Age books was amazing. I quickly sold off most of my Silver Age and traded them for gold. Once I realized how beautiful the Edgar Church books were I became extremely focused on those, buying all I could afford, specifically DC super-hero issues. Around 2001 I exhausted every avenue I had, no one had DC Mile High's to sell so I decided to switch gears and start off fresh. I started a new collection, collecting all 430 Timely super-hero issues. It was been a struggle, but that is part of the reward.

I learned a lot over the years. Each year at San Diego I would help John Verzyl of Comic Heaven set up as well as help behind the tables at the monthly Los Angeles show. He is a wealth of information and took me under his wing for a good 15 years. I learned a lot of pedigree information from him as well as general comic and investing knowledge. I also learned a lot from Pat Kochanek about Mile Highs. He was the most knowledgeable Mile High expert at the time and we did many amazing deals together. Bill Hughes of VintageCollectables.net and I have done around $750,000 worth of buying, selling and trading over the years. Through the years I got many bargain deals from others such as Joe Vereneault, Steve Lauterbach of Investmentcollectibles.com, Harley Yee, Gary Carter, Dave Anderson (the dentist), Ernie Gerber and countless others.

Scoop: Did you have other collecting habits, too? If so, what?

WS: I did collect coins early on. I really liked wheat pennies and Indian head pennies. I was really too focused on comics to care about much else and sold them off.

Scoop: How did your family react to collecting?

WS: My parents were pretty good about it, they liked that I had hobby that I truly loved. I was always bored and I guess anything that kept me busy was a good thing. In my late teens once they found out how much I was spending on them they did have some concern, but once I started selling books and showing them the profit I was making they were convinced I was not wasting my money on them. In fact, my father took me to my very first San Diego show in 1990. He actually spent more money there than I did. He could see the investment potential and through the years we bought many books together. He did well!

Scoop: Did any of your family members collect comics or other items?

WS: My brother became interested in girls so the comics went bye-bye. My dad is a gun, watch, gadget and car collector. My mother collects dolls.

Scoop: Did you drift away from collecting at any point (as some collectors do), or did you stick with them as you grew up?

WS: I had my moments. I learned the hard way about bad dealers selling me restored books as un-restored. I seriously considered leaving the hobby at that point, but my love for the books was greater than my disdain for dishonest dealers. If only CGC was around 20 years ago!

Scoop: Compare what excited you about comic books early on to what excites you about them now. Is it the same thing?

WS: 95% of my enjoyment comes from the art itself, and that has never changed. The Golden Age art was uncensored and raw, most of that stuff could not be published today, it is too brutal. I do like some stories but I am selective about what I read. Reading a story about Hulk vs. Thor or understanding the never-ending grumbling of Galactus' hunger is never a bad thing in my book. Steve Borock (CGC's President and Primary Grader) suggested I read Fables which is a relatively new comic. I really enjoyed that series. Thanks Steve!

Scoop: Do you collect any specific area of comics? i.e. Silver Age, Bronze Age, Pre-code Horror, etc.

WS: I collect Golden Age and 1950s titles. I am more focused on Alex Schomburg and L. B. Cole art. They have completely different styles, Schomburg's art is busy and detail oriented while Cole uses simplistic, heavy lines. They are my two favorite artists.

Scoop: What are the prizes of your collection?

WS: Currently I have a Young Allies #1 9.2 from the Kansas City collection and many Chicago copies in that run. I have the Edgar Church/Mile High copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #89 and many San Francisco copies starting with issue #16. I also have the 8.5 Nicolas Cage copy of All Select Comics #1, it's one of the best Golden Age covers in my opinion.

Scoop: What are you collecting at the moment?

WS: As I mature I'd like to think my tastes do as well. I currently collect Timely super-hero issues as well as some "classic covers" from other companies. The bulk of my expensive books are CGC graded and were bought before I started working for the company.

Scoop: Do you have any stories about the one that got away?

WS: I think we all do. I was offered the Mile High run of Flash Comics in 1991 for 3 times guide!

Scoop: Do you have any specific comics that you sold that you wish you had kept?

WS: I owned the Detective Comics #29 Allentown copy and enjoyed owning it. The Action Comics #50 Mile High copy is unbelievably beautiful, I wish I still had it.

Scoop: What do you find the most rewarding about comics and collecting in general?

WS: I think there is something for everyone. I truly enjoy "collecting comics" for their own sake. I like the thrill of the hunt, I love the art and I have met many life-long friends as a result, what's not to like?

Scoop: What are your favorite non-comic book items from your collection?

WS: I bought the huge Bowen Galactus statue and the smaller Fantastic Four pieces. They are size-proportionate and look great on my dresser. I have bought and framed some original art too. I bought a 6-page war story from 1942 from Speed Comics and paid about $20 per page, that's almost free! 27_laughing.gif.

Scoop: What advise do you have for people looking to invest in comics?

WS: For investments I buy high grade Golden Age and pedigrees. I have yet to loose a singe penny in those areas. With Silver Age prices sky-high I feel GA is a bargain and I expect the pendulum to swing back relatively soon. This thing have been going in cycles for decades now, it's nothing new to me.

Scoop: How did you decide to make the transition from dealer to CGC grader?

WS: Two things made that decision for me. First, I was ready for a personal change. I lived my whole life in California and felt this was the time to start over, new life and new adventures. The second part of my decision was based on visiting the CGC headquarters. I've known Steve Borock for over 10 years now but really did not know many other guys there. They are all really cool people and it's fun to talk comics all day with them. I saw how professional yet easygoing things were at the office. No one likes to go to a job they dislike with unfriendly coworkers and a mean boss. Working at CGC has been a real blast and I get paid to look at comics!

Scoop: How has working at CGC changed you as a collector?

WS: I have seen many rare and valuable pieces come across my desk. I have a greater appreciation of artists and comics that I might not have taken the time to look at otherwise. Even though I am typically a focused collector I will say I do have some new favorites.

Scoop: Do you have any interesting stories from working at CGC that you can share with us?

WS: Just last month I was grading an Amazing Spider-Man, I think it was issue #33. Someone in 1980 found some articles in the newspaper about Spider-Man and glued and taped those articles to a few of the interior pages. That was quite interesting.

West

I am 52 this Thursday, which makes me the oldest coot so far except for Antique Anne. I have only one comic left from my childhood and I have it only because it was lost in my parent's basement. I have a hundred or so comics left from my teen years. I began collecting the Marvels that were so important to me in my teens and early twenties about ten years ago.

I am 52 this Thursday, which makes me the oldest coot so far except for Antique Anne. I have only one comic left from my childhood and I have it only because it was lost in my parent's basement. I have a hundred or so comics left from my teen years. I began collecting the Marvels that were so important to me in my teens and early twenties about ten years ago.

Thank you. I love you too. flowerred.gif Happy Birthday early.