• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grader Notes for Transparency
1 1

8 posts in this topic

For $5, you can purchase imaging of your comic.  For $5, you can purchase grader's notes for your comics.  How about for $5, I can purchase guaranteed GRADER's NOTES for my comics that get below a 9.8?  AFA offers to sell this service on action figures they grade.  AFA even offers a detailed grader's opinion typed up about the condition of your graded collectible for a fee.  CGC should have more grader's notes on comics. Is that 9.4 or 9.6 pressable to a 9.8?  Grader's notes could reveal small defects that may not be as visible through the slab.  On many comics, as any collector knows, the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 can double the value/price of a comic.  Just look at a New Mutants 98 for example in those 2 grades on eBay.  I would rather pay an extra $5 for grader notes as opposed to an image or custom label so what needs to happen to make this a possibility?

On 6/23/2023 at 7:19 PM, Stelly Stel said:

Grading notes have been free for anyone for a few years now.

I might be off by a few, but I'm pretty sure that in December, 2021 they (CGC) announced that any PAID member had access to all graders notes. Then, in summer of 2022 (and succumbing to lots and lots of pressure) they announced that notes would be available for all.

@Gaard : If notes were created  they’re free but they’re not always created when graded. I have some (what I thought were very clean books that I spent a lot of time examining before sending) come back at 9.4/9.6 and no notes available. 😭

On 6/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, Kramazeek said:

@Gaard : If notes were created  they’re free but they’re not always created when graded. I have some (what I thought were very clean books that I spent a lot of time examining before sending) come back at 9.4/9.6 and no notes available. 😭

I readily admit that I'm not that good at grading, so notes on all books would be very welcome by me.

The general consensus is that if the graders gave notes for all books it'd lengthen TATs. That's probably true, but I have my doubts whether that is actually the reason they don't do it. I think (and this is just my opinion) that it has more to do with why one book with very minimal defects gets a 9.6 and another book with many defects gets a 9.8. IOW, I believe it's more of a CYA reason. You ever notice that CGC will not supply notes for high grade books the vast majority of the time, but they WILL NOT say why?

@Gaard : Totally, but on those higher graded books the defects should obvious and few meaning way less work for notes than a book graded 2.5?

I’d be fine with no notes on 9.6 with a larger obvious spine tick or blunted corner but when it’s not completely obvious notes should be provided.

Most of those defects could easily be selected/generated from a checklist with minimal time consumption I bet which bring us right back to your plausible theory… … … 😬

They will never give graders notes for a 9.6. It would be a service that myself and many others would pay extra for. The problem is that CGC doesn't  know the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8. The graders notes would say "we flipped a coin and it landed on 9.6. Please resubmit and pay us more money for the coin toss."