• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Rust from staples

8 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 12:44 PM, WolverineX said:

Picked up a golden age book recently with some rust on the bottom staple.  A buyer recommended that I take a eraser  and try to rub some of the rust off.   Is this good advice?  Anyway I could get a non blue slab if I send to CGC?   

I think cleaned staples still end up with a blue label but with the note "cleaned staples".  I've never heard of using an eraser on a staple, but it sort of makes sense.  The idea is you want to remove all of the corroded metal (which typically would involve cutting, grinding or chemical application).  Knocking heavy rust off the surface with an eraser might make the staple look good for another several years....

Purple Label Cleaned staples are removed from the book, they soak in a chemical solution that eats away all the rust and makes them shiny new looking, its a dead giveaway for cleaned staples.  Taking an exacto knife and carefully scraping away some of the rust to look way better (careful to not cut into the book!), will NOT get you cleaned staples/purple label.  However in the online notes, they "may" mention minor staple rust, staples scraped.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:06 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

There are dual material erasers with one end for pencil (white) and one for pen (black incorporating a fine grit of some kind) so the pen end could work in this case. 

I remember reading sometime ago about people using dryer sheets to remove rust from staples. I would imagine either of these would leave some traces of residue behind

I've heard people say that vinegar on a Q-Tip works, but I've never tried it. You could try taking a piece of Mylar and making two slits in it and then sliding it underneath the staple. Then you could put a piece of packing tape over the slits so that you had a layer of protection all around the staple. But I would still make sure that the Q-Tip isn't dripping wet but rather just slightly moistened.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:44 PM, WolverineX said:

Picked up a golden age book recently with some rust on the bottom staple.  A buyer recommended that I take a eraser  and try to rub some of the rust off.   Is this good advice?  Anyway I could get a non blue slab if I send to CGC?