• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can guns and comics mix?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I’m looking to buy a TL-30 safe for my comics and other valuables.  I’ve seen the treads about avoiding fireproof safes but this will be for burglary protection.

I’m going to ask this anyway to get a group consensus even though I know the conservative answer is to keep them apart.  I’m considering storing my firearms and comics together in the safe.  My concern is that I shoot a lot and bore cleaner has one heck of an odor.  It’s designed to break down carbon and other fouling and it works wonders.  The smell alone could transfer to comics so I’m thinking I would have to seal up the books (all will be CGC graded.

Is anyone storing guns and comics in a safe?  Ideas to protect the comics?

I don’t do this, but I don’t keep my firearms in a safe either.  I would think that some airflow isn’t a bad thing for comics, which you won’t get in a safe.  Definitely keep them separate from the guns though. 👍🙂

Edited by Galen130

On 6/24/2023 at 11:03 AM, BladeTX said:

I’m looking to buy a TL-30 safe for my comics and other valuables.  I’ve seen the treads about avoiding fireproof safes but this will be for burglary protection.

I’m going to ask this anyway to get a group consensus even though I know the conservative answer is to keep them apart.  I’m considering storing my firearms and comics together in the safe.  My concern is that I shoot a lot and bore cleaner has one heck of an odor.  It’s designed to break down carbon and other fouling and it works wonders.  The smell alone could transfer to comics so I’m thinking I would have to seal up the books (all will be CGC graded.

Is anyone storing guns and comics in a safe?  Ideas to protect the comics?

This is a great question because I do for a couple of special issues. I keep them on their own shelf and with a moisture absorbing bag near them. 

I never even thought about transference. :facepalm:

Why is a firesafe bad? (If there is a short answer)

On 6/24/2023 at 11:36 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

what about tool boxes for comics? Specifically Snap On?

Not to hijack the thread, but I've often wondered?

I don't think they are air tight or anything, but are heavy, lock, but probably aren't "fireproof" or at the very least not "smoke proof?"

@valiantman @CAHokie

I would go with no because a tool box is a high theft item on its own. Put comics and a tool box side by side and the thief is rolling those tools away!

I don’t combine books and firearms in my safe, so can’t speak to chemical interaction. Some say fire resistant materials can cause rust issues. My suggestion is to purchase some of the inexpensive recording temp/relative humidity gauges, and install them anywhere you have collection; on a bookshelf, in safety deposit boxes or any safe. Opening door for regular “airing out “ has been recommended, as well. Good luck. 

But I was asking more for rust and water absorption,  like the thread was asking.

A 300 pound snap on with no wheels sounds viable to me except it's not water fire nor smoke proof? What about rust and all the rest?

On 6/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, CAHokie said:

Great info, thank you. I do have a humidity controller in my comic book room but now I will be more careful about the safes.

I guess if it isn't fire proof not a safe, I needn't worry about these issues rust etc?

On 6/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, CAHokie said:

This is a great question because I do for a couple of special issues. I keep them on their own shelf and with a moisture absorbing bag near them. 

The chemicals that prevent fire protection leak through the bags and slabs.  There is a gut wrenching post out there where a dude with a Hulk 181 9.8 had the staples completely rust and disintegrate in a couple of years.  He had to have the book removed, he got staples from a trashed Hulk 181 and he got it regrade 9.8 green label.  My high value books are at the bank as a result.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, bc said:

-bc

You found it, but this is about the fire proofing.  I guess it’s a fair point that any chemicals in a concentrated atmosphere could be damaging

On 6/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, CAHokie said:

Someone found the old post and put a link here.  Check it out.  

Drop them in a box that says "Mom's Christmas Ornaments" and put it in the closet. That'll keep it from ever getting stolen, let alone even being looked at by someone who's got the run of your house while you're away.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/24/2023 at 9:39 AM, BladeTX said:

The chemicals that prevent fire protection leak through the bags and slabs.  There is a gut wrenching post out there where a dude with a Hulk 181 9.8 had the staples completely rust and disintegrate in a couple of years.  He had to have the book removed, he got staples from a trashed Hulk 181 and he got it regrade 9.8 green label.  My high value books are at the bank as a result.

If you have a book in a bank do you truly own it ? After seeing all these Banks with the problems that they have had I wonder .

On 6/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Drop them in a box that says "Mom's Christmas Ornaments" and put it in the closet. That'll keep it from ever getting stolen, let alone even being looked at by someone who's got the run of your house while you're away.

Yep, hiding in plain sight is sometimes the best. People always go after the safe…if they can find it.