• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production defects/grading question.
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hi there, does CGC forgive/grade differently books that contain the same production defect on a very high percentage of copies of the same run? 

A recent Marvel series contained significant stress marks on the spine across the entire run on what appears to most copies (I emailed and asked more than a few large online sellers to inquire). 

I purchased a few graded copies of the incentive covers from this run after all my copies arrived with stress marks in the same location on 20+ books consisting of variants and incentives.

The graded 9.8’s had 4-5 stress marks, some with a few ugly ones clearly visible from the front and additionally the very slight corner fold tears common on Marvel books. 

I’ve sent in books with near perfect corners and no spine stress marks and only hit 9.6? I’m having a hard time finding how this happens on three graded copies, bought from different sellers on Ebay, on a run that had consistent damage on most/all books and variants? 

Can you offer some insight? 

Edited by Kramazeek

• Administrator

Hello @Kramazeek,

Can you send us the book information so we can review this with our graders to determine if this run is being reviewed for a forgivable defect? Please note, this is only the case when a defect affects the entire print run. If a number of books we receive do not have this defect, our graders could determine that the defect will be counted against the grade. This is taken on an issue-by-issue variant-by-variant review.