• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I HOPE I WIN THE DOOR PRIZE
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2023 at 11:47 PM, grapeape said:

Superman by John Byrne. Door prize won by a young fellow at a small comic convention in Ithaca, NY. The year was 1985. I was not that person, but I was able to convince the now serious collector into allowing this one to find a new home, at the residence of ye very own Mr. Grape Ape. The deal was made some 20 years ago, and if you're interested in who the seller was feel free to look up the gallery of Michael Kenyon on CAF.
IMG_0242.thumb.jpeg.99cc614572bbd98bdc355aef4bc926cf.jpeg

This is a true relic because DC no longer allows Superman to espouse these views

On 7/10/2023 at 5:08 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Holy wings Batman! CC Beck was Col. Sanders?!?

Damn it KirbyCollector. I came in here this morning to talk about art. Now I'm hungry for a 3 piece meal, but I can't decide on mashed potatoes and gravy, or macaroni and cheese with my biscuit.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, grapeape said:

but I can't decide on mashed potatoes and gravy, or macaroni and cheese with my biscuit.

Come on man, live a little… GET BOTH, but tell the Doc you had tofu and steamed vegetables.

Your doctor would be disappointed if you didn’t stretch the truth a bit ; )

On 7/10/2023 at 8:09 AM, KirbyCollector said:

This is a true relic because DC no longer allows Superman to espouse these views

Curious why you say that?  Tom King put these very words in to his Superman: Up in the Sky arc (last page of Part 6).  I believe he also included it in his recent Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow arc as well, but I don't recall exatly.  For my money, that Superman trade is one of the best Supes stories in quite some time.  Likely since All-Star.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, Andahaion said:

Curious why you say that?  Tom King put these very words in to his Superman: Up in the Sky arc (last page of Part 6).  I believe he also included it in his recent Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow arc as well, but I don't recall exatly.  For my money, that Superman trade is one of the best Supes stories in quite some time.  Likely since All-Star.

2020 (when Up in the Sky was published) was a looooong time ago... that might have been the last year it was OK to say you loved the US... a lot has changed culturally and it's much more fashionable to claim otherwise right now, sadly

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 7/12/2023 at 12:49 PM, KirbyCollector said:

2020 (when Up in the Sky was published) was a looooong time ago... that might have been the last year it was OK to say you loved the US... a lot has changed culturally and it's much more fashionable to claim otherwise right now, sadly

Gotcha.  I sometimes have issues fighting cynicism these days, but try to channel Superman and still believe in something that resembles hope.  It's perhaps naïve, but these days a guy needs something to hold onto.  Cheers.