• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was your first time difficult?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

This will be my first submission to CGC. Not only for grading but also for a private signing and a pressing. 

But I find myself very worried about sending the comic out. It’s not 4 digits valuable, but it’ll be the most expensive comic I own. 

And I just can’t get past the idea that it’ll get lost or destroyed. 

Did you guys have difficulty letting go your first submission?

On 7/7/2023 at 3:51 PM, Fixer7640 said:

I didn't.

But that was before I found Instagram and started seeing all the problems people were having with CGC.

Thankfully.

Apprehensive, yes.  BUT the tracking and updates were very much appreciated.  I was more nervous about the USPS or FedEx damaging the books more than anything else.  When the books get sent back to you, and you see the brand-new slabs and your books safely inside, all those worries disappear really quickly.  Just remember, be patient because the process takes time.

I am new to this community, and I have been supported by fellow collectors.

After my first few were graded, I immediately sent in more.  :bigsmile:

I don't sub very often - maybe once a year if that - but I sent one in last month, it arrived safe and sound and they checked it in. I've got one of the books back (still waiting on a few more) and it went smooth. Pack tight, send Priority and have faith. If you're still worried, send Priority Express so it gets there faster. 

This will be my first submission to CGC. Not only for grading but also for a private signing and a pressing. 

But I find myself very worried about sending the comic out. It’s not 4 digits valuable, but it’ll be the most expensive comic I own. 

My first times were fun ... no worries/apprehension at all. Years ago CGC was actually very different. It was more like the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks ... you don't know what you're going to get, but you know it's going to be good. Nowadays, it's more like gambling ... could be good, could be bad. Back in the day, the first thing you looked at was the grade. These days (or at least the latter days of my submitting), the first thing you look at is the condition of the slab/comic.

You should be ok, though. The odds have definitely changed, but they're still in your favor.

I feel bad for first-timers today. They missed out on when slabbing your comics was fun and care-free.

This is my first time in a year.  The UI changed a little bit in the order form.

I banged my head for 30 minutes trying to figure out why the shopping cart was splitting my order into 2 parts until i figured out it's because of the Custom Labels.    Don't you guys test your shopping cart app?   Not very user friendly.

Then, when the order is done, the 2 order parts have separate shipping charge when I wanted them combined.   So not user friendly.

Edited by Jon Thor

On 7/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, Tons Of Style said:
On 7/30/2023 at 9:54 PM, Jon Thor said:

Then, when the order is done, the 2 order parts have separate shipping charge when I wanted them combined.   So not user friendly.

It's been their policy for 23 years.

its not wallet friendly, but i don't think it really has a bearing on "user friendly" or not.

I have just submitted my first group of comics to get graded and I am curious on the process.  I have a few questions.

1. Does CGC help you get the highest grade and interact with you during the process?  For example, if I could get a higher grade for pressing do they tell me to help me make sure I get the highest possible grade? Also, if I pay for pressing and don't need it, do they tell me that?  It almost seems like to get the highest possible grade you should just pay for pressing but I am not sure.
  2. When pricing out the value of my comic I am not sure what to put since I don't know what grade it will get.  I haven't done this before and they all appear brand new to me.  I have a decent collection from when I was a kid that I purchased myself in the late 80's I am sending in slowly.  Some could be $1000+ if they are 9.8 but then they are $80 if they are 9.6.  Do I pay the $200 for the 9.8 or the $25 for the 9.6?  I have no idea how they will grade it.

I appreciate any input as I learn the process and best way to work with CGC to get my comics rated.  Hopefully they make it there safely.  First package is supposed to arrive today.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:45 AM, DetroitRob said:

I have just submitted my first group of comics to get graded and I am curious on the process.  I have a few questions.

1. Does CGC help you get the highest grade and interact with you during the process?  For example, if I could get a higher grade for pressing do they tell me to help me make sure I get the highest possible grade? Also, if I pay for pressing and don't need it, do they tell me that?  It almost seems like to get the highest possible grade you should just pay for pressing but I am not sure.
  2. When pricing out the value of my comic I am not sure what to put since I don't know what grade it will get.  I haven't done this before and they all appear brand new to me.  I have a decent collection from when I was a kid that I purchased myself in the late 80's I am sending in slowly.  Some could be $1000+ if they are 9.8 but then they are $80 if they are 9.6.  Do I pay the $200 for the 9.8 or the $25 for the 9.6?  I have no idea how they will grade it.

I appreciate any input as I learn the process and best way to work with CGC to get my comics rated.  Hopefully they make it there safely.  First package is supposed to arrive today.

No, CGC doesn't work with you to get a better grade. They won't tell you if you do or don't need the pressing even if you've paid for it, but I heard they sometimes will contact you if they think it could damage a book (someone can prob confirm if true or not). They sometimes offer grading notes after grading for some of the books with lower grades (but not always). There is an option to have them prescreen them for certain grades with a fee for rejected comics. As far as the tier to submit, most will say to go with what you feel you are comfortable with for insurance purposes (how much would it cost you to replace that book if it were damaged or lost?).

Edited by 850chris

On 7/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, Tons Of Style said:

It's been their policy for 23 years.

It's a software web-app.  All you have to do is put a warning popup, on order submit, that warns the user about being split into multiple return shipments (with explanation of why).  A super easy fix to make it user-friendly.  Probably multiple ways to show that type of warning.

Edited by Jon Thor

On 7/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, DetroitRob said:

1. They just press the books you pay them to press, supposedly the graders don't know if the book went to ccs or not.

2. I've had several books that yeah a 9.8 is over the $400 but any lower grade puts it below the $400. I never assume a 9.8 even if i think it should be so i send those books in as moderns with a $400 value, I've had a few come back as 9.8s so I think they are reasonable in these situations.

My First Sub.  man I was young then. The book was highest and 1/1 on the early census' as i recall, alas no longer either...

I handed it to CGC at a local con - CGC was still in NJ. Was as simple and smooth as could be. Back in 2000 there were no long lines and their staff was extremely careful/gentle with books, helped me fill out the form and they even took time to talk w/folks. I recall Steve B saying can't wait a Dell Giant to grade, or somethings thereabouts...

Those days are looong gone.

DellGiant_48.thumb.jpg.b8e39f950e2282740f3226c584f8f6b1.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Mine couldn't have gone smoother.  Dropped my books off with a local presser and he shipped them to CGC.  I got the first two (of 6 total) this past week, 2 months from the time I dropped them off, and both came back 9.8s.  Now, I'm hoping the remaining 4 came back soon and with grades as good!

Yes.  I felt like you, but if you have insurance for the FMV for your comics, CGC will take great care of them and will be so happy.  My only regret was not getting my first books cleaned/pressed.  At the time I thought it was an unnecessary cost.  I probably lost a whole 1-2 whole grade points by not getting that done.  

My first time was when I lived in L.A. I was able to hand-carry my books into a show and meet with a very nice staffer in the CGC booth. 

My second (and only other) time, I shipped from Texas. Everything went smoothly, but it was a much bigger (volume and $$$) order. I didn't sleep well until I got notification of delivery and proof of entry into their system.