• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reunited, and it feels so good
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Yeah, I tried to put back together the Romita Jr Peter Parker Spiderman #75 double sized issue.  Was two-thirds completed but had to stop because owners of the remaining pages wanted crazy, Stoopid money.

likewise, I tried to put together the complete interiors for DD: Man Without Fear mini series by Miller/Romita Jr and Williamson.  Got 100 pages out of 144 after about a dozen years of shaking pages out of collections, auctions, etc.  got bored of the chase and sold them all

Oooh... I could play but I don't have any pictures to hand. I recently found and bought a Batman page over 9 years after I originally bought the one that follows it. They make a nice little story sequence too, was a pretty easy purchase decision :)

I have a bunch of sequential pages, it's always fun putting them together. I'm working on a few complete issues;

Batman Issue 595 - have 17 out of 22 pages plus I have the cover! Another collector has one page that I haven't been able to get but don't know where the rest are.

Sandman Mystery Theatre Issue 64 - 18 of 22 pages. No idea where the other four are. 

Green Arrow (Vol 1) Issue 89 - 13 pages - Picked up a few pages here and there so now I feel the drive to complete. 

Green Arrow (Vol 2) Issue 70 - 12 pages - Same as above, have lucked into a bunch of pages and they'e in my price range so I'll grab them as I find them. 

Does anyone know how to reach DC Man on CAF? Several years ago, at a comic art show in Secaucus, I spotted a page which interested me a lot. It was the second page of the first issue of the second series of Phantom Stranger stories. But, apart from the Seller only having a copy with him, the page had serious problems. Most importantly, it was only the first page a two page spread. Second, as the seller freely explained, it had also been modified (a lot). Someone had cut out the logo, and inserted a miniature copy of it. The seller was perfectly honest about this, by the way, which I appreciated. This is what it looks like on CAF:

PS1-p2.jpg.1f3b4a51d91f895d1ec1002b7562f48a.jpg

Afterward, I decided to hold off,  but I kept looking for the second page. Then, I found it and bought it. When I went to try and find his email address, I had lost it.

I would like to buy the piece (if he still has it and the price is fair), hire a restorer, and fix the two. The second page also has inking on it to hide the cutting, so I will probably need an artist as well. The art is by Bill Draut, and I doubt fixing it would be an economically wise thing to do, but, what the hell. So if anyone knows how to reach him, it would be appreciated. 

On 7/9/2023 at 9:25 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Does anyone know how to reach DC Man on CAF? Several years ago, at a comic art show in Secaucus, I spotted a page which interested me a lot. It was the second page of the first issue of the second series of Phantom Stranger stories. But, apart from the Seller only having a copy with him, the page had serious problems. Most importantly, it was only the first page a two page spread. Second, as the seller freely explained, it had also been modified (a lot). Someone had cut out the logo, and inserted a miniature copy of it. The seller was perfectly honest about this, by the way, which I appreciated. This is what it looks like on CAF:

PS1-p2.jpg.1f3b4a51d91f895d1ec1002b7562f48a.jpg

Afterward, I decided to hold off,  but I kept looking for the second page. Then, I found it and bought it. When I went to try and find his email address, I had lost it.

I would like to buy the piece (if he still has it and the price is fair), hire a restorer, and fix the two. The second page also has inking on it to hide the cutting, so I will probably need an artist as well. The art is by Bill Draut, and I doubt fixing it would be an economically wise thing to do, but, what the hell. So if anyone knows how to reach him, it would be appreciated. 

Rick that's happened to me more than you know. I have a piece that I sold to a guy twenty years ago. About 5 years later he offered to sell it back at a modest 30% markup. I hemmed and hawed. Changed email providers.

Decided I wanted the art back but now I couldn't retrieve the email info. Have absolutely no clue, other than the state he lived in, how to contact him now.

Also when CAF gallery's go cold. Art that was available or at least open to a discussion, but now the gallery owner no longer participates. No longer posting. No longer answering emails or leaving comments on other gallery's.

Thats such a neat piece for a PS collector like you. Economic sense be damned. I know how much you love PS, so investing in the preservation of that piece sounds like a solid love of art decision.(thumbsu

On 7/9/2023 at 3:47 PM, grapeape said:

Rick that's happened to me more than you know. I have a piece that I sold to a guy twenty years ago. About 5 years later he offered to sell it back at a modest 30% markup. I hemmed and hawed. Changed email providers.

Decided I wanted the art back but now I couldn't retrieve the email info. Have absolutely no clue, other than the state he lived in, how to contact him now.

Also when CAF gallery's go cold. Art that was available or at least open to a discussion, but now the gallery owner no longer participates. No longer posting. No longer answering emails or leaving comments on other gallery's.

Thats such a neat piece for a PS collector like you. Economic sense be damned. I know how much you love PS, so investing in the preservation of that piece sounds like a solid love of art decision.(thumbsu

It totally sucks as it is probably gone by now. The first three issues of PS (second series) were partial reprints from the first series with additional pages added. So, in the first series, 5 of the pages were published as part of a story (I think issue 4, but I don't remember off-hand), and then DC added 3 more pages in the second series, for a much better graphic and story. These were 2 of them. It's as close as I will ever probably get to a PS page from the 1952 run. 

And a lot of work is needed, too, on the page I have. I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble downsizing the pixels for posting, but it has a big 4 x 5 inch cutout in the middle. What is cool, however, is that the additional lettering and art were made to mimic Infantino/Barry from the first series. Draut, who I am guessing did the work, did an excellent job. Still a complete mystery why it was done. The existing final pages were not published as modified.

Edited by Rick2you2

I follow some people (including DC Man) that post very infrequently.  And when they do post, it is worth the wait.  DC Man may not be responsive to e-mail in general.  The gallery where that PS piece resides is a little bit of a mish-mash, it's titled "Art Sale" but includes his want list pieces, for trade pieces, for sale pieces and NFS pieces.  And in general, it's a great DC and JLA collection.  My guess is if you e-mail him politely once a year or so, he'll get back to you if he ever feels like parting with the PS piece.  Otherwise, you're always on the hunt for PS anyway.

Here's a great 2 page fight sequence from Detective Comics 454 (Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez / Ernie Chan).  It's not a DPS, you'd have to turn the page of the comic to see the 2nd page.  But I posted them on CAF as a DPS.  The memory is vague but I think I got them from Garcia-Lopez at the same time.

tec454p0708.jpg

i had a dream.
ppsm44.jpg
then i woke up. lol. i had managed to put together very close to all of 4 consecutive issues of peter parker spect spidey 39 to 44. it was all humberto ramos art and i think out of the 88 pages i had 70...i think. there were 2/3 floating around caf that could not be begged borrowed ot stolen and there was one guy who would not respond even when there was a price on page. it was a good little story, but i expected many pages may have been in mexico or singapore... i heard the covers and many of the first issue pages may have ended up there... and just got too tired of constant searching. 

i kept the one cover i could find, and do still search for the other covers.