• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larry Stroman in hot water...

37 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Add Ale Garza and Jim Kyle to your perpetual naughty list. Jae Lee has had some complaints and Sienkewicz apparently runs very slow, according to some people (as in years).

That's a bummer about Ale Garza - only in the sense that I really like his work. I've heard that about Sienkewicz, and honestly I'd be too intimidated to get a commission from him, he's just legendary. I'd be second guessing myself requesting a character. "Should I do Magik? Should I do Wolverine? Should I do Demon Bear?"

On 7/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's a bummer about Ale Garza - only in the sense that I really like his work. I've heard that about Sienkewicz, and honestly I'd be too intimidated to get a commission from him, he's just legendary. I'd be second guessing myself requesting a character. "Should I do Magik? Should I do Wolverine? Should I do Demon Bear?"

I can’t see him as legendary since I first met him when he was a young artist at a NYC comic book show in 1980 (before there were comicons) having a hard time selling his New Mutants pages (I think). That was well before he became a “legend”, and was still enthusiastic as all get out.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I probably qualify him as that based on how much influence his style had over my own work. I liken him to legendary for the reason that his work was an interesting style melded with a good technical illustrative grasp. I think it would be great to have that long-term perspective of seeing a guy like that from his early beginnings 40+ years ago. That's pretty cool.

Shameless plug of my own illustrative work, which had a BS influence:

Bride_of_frank.thumb.jpg.f91ccdb696379822685b9c355845fd7b.jpg

That is excellent work.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 7/14/2023 at 6:46 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I can’t see him as legendary since I first met him when he was a young artist at a NYC comic book show in 1980 (before there were comicons) having a hard time selling his New Mutants pages (I think). That was well before he became a “legend”, and was still enthusiastic as all get out.

That was 43 years ago. 
Enough time to become a Legend.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, MagnusX said:

That was 43 years ago. 
Enough time to become a Legend.

You know how a parent always sees a child as a child, or Shirley Temple is always a little actress? He’s a very fine artist, and should be proud of his work and skills, but he’s still “the kid” at heart.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:05 AM, Rick2you2 said:

You know how a parent always sees a child as a child, or Shirley Temple is always a little actress? He’s a very fine artist, and should be proud of his work and skills, but he’s still “the kid” at heart.

Funny you mention Shirley Temple - I just heard a mini-podcast about her, and I never knew that she was quite successful and active in her years after she was a child star. She went on to do a whole bunch of stuff like be an ambassador, bring breast cancer to widespread public awareness, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Not that it's really related to Bill S, I just thought it was funny I just learned all that this morning. lol

On 7/12/2023 at 8:57 PM, Will_K said:

Not sure who is Larry Stroman's rep currently.  But a while back, on ComicArtLive, Bill did an interview with Ken Carson (4C Comics).  I think this is the one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LrKSej6pK8

I think he said he was trying to clean up Stroman's backlog of commissions.  One explanation given for the backlog was that Stroman didn't drive and therefore couldn't make it to the US Post Office to send out commissions.   And here's an older Stroman topic:

Guy's never heard of:

1.  Friend with a car - although given his rep, maybe he doesn't have any.

2.  Walking

3.  Taxi

4.  Uber

5.  Mass transit

6. etc

On 7/16/2023 at 8:19 PM, pemart1966 said:

Guy's never heard of:

2.  Walking

3.  Taxi

4.  Uber

5.  Mass transit

6. etc

Where I live, a guy from the Post Office comes by here six days a week.  I have a box out on the street I can put stuff in and he picks it up and it eventually ends up where I wanted to send it.

On 7/17/2023 at 12:06 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Where I live, a guy from the Post Office comes by here six days a week.  I have a box out on the street I can put stuff in and he picks it up and it eventually ends up where I wanted to send it.

If it is over 11 ounces, you have to take it to the P.O.

On 7/17/2023 at 12:06 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Sounds like a mail box.  lol

On 7/16/2023 at 11:19 PM, pemart1966 said:

Guy's never heard of:

2.  Walking

3.  Taxi

4.  Uber

5.  Mass transit

6. etc

I was just relaying what was said in that video.  At the time it just seemed so incredible.  As a rep, it's just something I would never repeat. 

On 7/17/2023 at 3:01 PM, Will_K said:

I was just relaying what was said in that video.  At the time it just seemed so incredible.  As a rep, it's just something I would never repeat. 

I know that it's not you.  I was just pointing out the invalidity of the  "explanation".