• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for the thread with old pictures of children reading comics...

18 posts in this topic

Very cool Pic, even if it is made up................ thumbsup2.gif

interestingly, that superman book was given to me back then by a female friend of my mother's. i still have the little sucker, although it's seen much better days.

given that the first 2 books i can clearly remember buying were purchased in 1956, this picture holds real sentimental value for me. i wish i could make out what issue of Detective comics was on the shelf...........my first remembered purchase was at "Jimmies" on Cambridge street in East Orange NJ. it was Detective #233 (first appearance of Batwoman) dtd 7/56 and would have been on the stand possibly during april of 1956.

how cool would that be?!?!?!? 893whatthe.gif

does anyone know if the article stated whether the books would have been on the stand in April (as suggested in the auction) or were dated april??

upon further inspection, i'm pretty sure the Tec on the stands (1st book 2d row in the right section is not #233) - oh well, still pretty cool.............. grin.gif

893whatthe.gif

That girl -- far right, second row from the bottom, just above the kid reading the Adventure -- is reading a Marvel Comics #1!

The girl three girls to her right is reading Adventure Comics #40, the first Sandman.

By the way, I've posted all the old pics that include comics that I could find on my website. From the home page, just click on "old pictures with comics".

interestingly, that superman book was given to me back then by a female friend of my mother's. i still have the little sucker, although it's seen much better days.

given that the first 2 books i can clearly remember buying were purchased in 1956, this picture holds real sentimental value for me. i wish i could make out what issue of Detective comics was on the shelf...........my first remembered purchase was at "Jimmies" on Cambridge street in East Orange NJ. it was Detective #233 (first appearance of Batwoman) dtd 7/56 and would have been on the stand possibly during april of 1956.

does anyone know if the article stated whether the books would have been on the stand in April (as suggested in the auction) or were dated april??

upon further inspection, i'm pretty sure the Tec on the stands (1st book 2d row in the right section is not #233) - oh well, still pretty cool.............. grin.gif

Harry, the Detective in the pic is #230, and is the April '56 issue.

One of the nice things about having done the postcard book is that I've developed the ability to recognize very small things in photographs.

Harry, the Detective in the pic is #230, and is the April '56 issue.

One of the nice things about having done the postcard book is that I've developed the ability to recognize very small things in photographs.

yeah - kinda figured it would actually be books dtd with april 1956 and not the books on the stand at the time - a lot easier to figure out accurately..............

gonna get me one of those Pics and put it down in my "50's" room....... grin.gif