• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on Shortboxed
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Do you guys have any experience selling your slabs on Shortboxed? I have been selling on eBay for many years and also sell items on Amazon, Mercari, etc.

Just looking to see how the overall experience is and if you get a decent amount of sales from your books listed on there.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, captainzombie said:

Do you guys have any experience selling your slabs on Shortboxed? I have been selling on eBay for many years and also sell items on Amazon, Mercari, etc.

Just looking to see how the overall experience is and if you get a decent amount of sales from your books listed on there.

I send my slabs to mycomicshop.com and have been doing so for 3 years with no problems and great returns (have sold hundreds of slabs) They only charge 8% (auction) with a 5 dollar minimum. You send them the slabs and they deal with the shipping to customers and all the liability. You can choose auction or BIN

Edited by Ed Hanes

I use MCS and it’s 10% for BIN items under $300. 8% for items over $300 or for auction items. Commissions are also capped at $1000.

It’s a great service, and I have had no major problems. (I’ve had like two non-paying buyers over the years.)

(I also use Shortboxed, but you do have to pack your comics yourself.)

On 7/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, sckao said:

I use MCS and it’s 10% for BIN items under $300. 8% for items over $300 or for auction items. Commissions are also capped at $1000.

It’s a great service, and I have had no major problems. (I’ve had like two non-paying buyers over the years.)

(I also use Shortboxed, but you do have to pack your comics yourself.)

MCS seems to be pretty popular around here. We don't mind the shipping aspect as we do also have a full-time online business selling auto parts, so shipping slabs is nothing.

Has Shortboxed been okay with sales at least or is it as bad at times like Mercari or Bonanza in terms of traffic?

On 7/13/2023 at 10:58 AM, captainzombie said:

MCS seems to be pretty popular around here. We don't mind the shipping aspect as we do also have a full-time online business selling auto parts, so shipping slabs is nothing.

Has Shortboxed been okay with sales at least or is it as bad at times like Mercari or Bonanza in terms of traffic?

It’s hard to gauge traffic levels on Shortboxed, but because the GUI is kind of limited, and it is designed primarily as an app, you are highly dependent on the search function.

New items in stock and highlighted genres, or artists may give your book additional initial views, but after that, unless someone is specifically looking for your book, it’s hit or miss. They have a stoplight indicator showing what they think the item is priced at, but it’s hard to determine how they arrive at this determination precisely. You can now enter more descriptive entries now, but in the past it was harder to differentiate variants or special notes. 

MCS puts all consigned items also on eBay which increases your audience immeasurably.

They absorb the eBay fees and increase the price accordingly, but people can still go back to the MCS site directly to bypass the increased price. (So you are never paying for the eBay exposure.)

Hope this helps.

One service you send all your books to them and then basically just monitor the pricing / details electronically. They do everything else.

The other service you keep your books with you (unless they take it on the road with them as special key consignments), and you have to package them up and ship them out when you get a sale.

Edited by sckao

On 7/13/2023 at 1:09 PM, sckao said:

It’s hard to gauge traffic levels on Shortboxed, but because the GUI is kind of limited, and it is designed primarily as an app, you are highly dependent on the search function.

New items in stock and highlighted genres, or artists may give your book additional initial views, but after that, unless someone is specifically looking for your book, it’s hit or miss. They have a stoplight indicator showing what they think the item is priced at, but it’s hard to determine how they arrive at this determination precisely. You can now enter more descriptive entries now, but in the past it was harder to differentiate variants or special notes. 

MCS puts all consigned items also on eBay which increases your audience immeasurably.

They absorb the eBay fees and increase the price accordingly, but people can still go back to the MCS site directly to bypass the increased price. (So you are never paying for the eBay exposure.)

Hope this helps.

One service you send all your books to them and then basically just monitor the pricing / details electronically. They do everything else.

The other service you keep your books with you (unless they take it on the road with them as special key consignments), and you have to package them up and ship them out when you get a sale.

I might take a look at MCS too to see what it entails. We normally ship out our own stuff and all of our books are up on eBay already.

Hoping here that Shortboxed does also allow users to use a desktop frontend at some point. I know one of the CS guys I was talking to back  a few months ago

I’ve been on shortboxed pretty much since it launched and never sold anything. I’m not a huge dealer or anything but I sell like 10-15 slabs per year, mostly ebay with a few on here or FB marketplace. So I definitely have things people want and price them right, I just get no action on there. It’s a nice app and anything beats feebay’s ridiculous fees but unfortunately I think that’s a waste of time unless you’re listing tons of stuff.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:09 PM, Cman429 said:

I’ve been on shortboxed pretty much since it launched and never sold anything. I’m not a huge dealer or anything but I sell like 10-15 slabs per year, mostly ebay with a few on here or FB marketplace. So I definitely have things people want and price them right, I just get no action on there. It’s a nice app and anything beats feebay’s ridiculous fees but unfortunately I think that’s a waste of time unless you’re listing tons of stuff.

I too have been there since the beginning. I've sold 3 slabs total in that time. I've been very impressed with the amount those 3 slabs sold for but, again, 3 sales since 2020.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:09 PM, sckao said:

Hope this helps.

I give @mycomicshop my highest possible recommendation, as both a place to consign and a place to buy.

I've used about every consignment/auction house. Best is MCS overall. Shortboxed is fine, but it feels like it doesn't sell quick it's not going to sell. The only thing I'd say its better than MCS for is selling slightly obscurer books where it's easier to get those accidental or unintended views on SB versus MCS.

Edited by Tnexus