• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Scanning All Books?
5 5

94 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 2:45 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm also unable to save the scans from my shipped July 13 submission. I receive the message that the scans are copyrighted. That is unfortunate as it would save me the time of having to scan the front and back covers of the 25 comic books. Apparently, you get what you pay for and I have never paid for scans which, if I recall correctly, presently cost $5 per comic book. If my price quote is correct, 25 scans would have added an additional $125 to my submission cost. To repeat myself, apparently I'm cheap.

Well, despite not being able to save the scans they are helpful because upon reviewing all of them I noted that comic book #14 of 25 which was, as they say, a dead-bang 9.8 when I submitted it, received a 9.6 from CGC because there is what is either a roughly 1" in length vertically positioned tape pull or white piece of what appears to be paper. Of course, it could be something else. It is impossible to know what it is from the scan. The comic books are scheduled to be delivered on Monday, July 17, 2023. Hopefully, upon inspecting it in person I'll be able to clearly see what it is because sometimes even in hand you can't be certain what you are looking at. 

On 7/14/2023 at 4:07 AM, Gaard said:

Just screenshot/crop ... takes about a minute.

Do they still charge people for images?

This is what I was thinking is ok, especially for the registry pics.

The only reason I'd think they are copyrighting it, is due to someone mentioning a disclaimer for tamper cases and wanting proof of product.

They then don't want their "proof" tampered with lol . :makepoint:

As far as copyright goes, I'm not sure if it's is allowed, a screenshot crop, I mean just for pics for the registry? Surely that's not frowned upon?

On 7/14/2023 at 5:07 AM, Gaard said:

Just screenshot/crop ... takes about a minute.

Do they still charge people for images?

Short answer: YES

That's my issue right now with the submittal I just got back.  I actually PAID for scans of the eight books I sent in, and still haven't received them :mad: .

So, $40 down the crapper...for scans they apparently now do ANYway for FREE, which I was totally unaware of :facepalm: .

I haven't gotten a refund; which I absolutely should, because now ANYone can access and keep those scans, just like you just mentioned.  But since I actually paid for them, I shouldn't have to screenshot and crop them just to get them added to my library (tsk) .

On 7/14/2023 at 8:30 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is what I was thinking is ok, especially for the registry pics.

The only reason I'd think they are copyrighting it, is due to someone mentioning a disclaimer for tamper cases and wanting proof of product.

They then don't want their "proof" tampered with lol . :makepoint:

As far as copyright goes, I'm not sure if it's is allowed, a screenshot crop, I mean just for pics for the registry? Surely that's not frowned upon?

"Sir, our attorney will promptly contact you." :)

• Administrator
On 7/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light on this? If true, it's certainly a positive and welcome change/bonus, but I'm perplexed why CGC haven't put out a press release on it. 

Here is what I was told:

CGC is testing some new functionality. Stay tuned for more information soon!

@CGC Mike - hopefully they'll make this permanent, it's a great feature improvement and given the recent price increase, additional ROI for customers.

I know I've struggled getting decent pictures of my slabbed books and would welcome the ability to even screenshot the provided scans just to have as a digital reference rather than a sub-par over-glared photo I took with my phone.

Additionally: this may actually help CGC itself - I've had a bunch of mechanical issues recently, scratches, scrapes and whatnot that I've had to send back in for reholdering - if the scan is happening after initial encapsulation, having the those scans before the books continue in the process will likely lead to the CGC being able to track down where in the process ME books are getting damaged; resolve that issue, and CGC will have far fewer ME books coming back (saving on shipping, reholdering costs, etc.).

Having the scans really seems like a win-win situation for both customer and CGC.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, dbcn said:

@CGC Mike

Additionally: this may actually help CGC itself - I've had a bunch of mechanical issues recently, scratches, scrapes and whatnot that I've had to send back in for reholdering - if the scan is happening after initial encapsulation, having the those scans before the books continue in the process will likely lead to the CGC being able to track down where in the process ME books are getting damaged; resolve that issue, and CGC will have far fewer ME books coming back (saving on shipping, reholdering costs, etc.).

This. If CGC would post the grades as soon as the slabs are scanned, then send out an auto-generated email to the submitter, a nice chunk of MEs could be found before they are shipped back. This would both save CGC money and decrease customer aggravation.

They have posted grades before shipment in the past. They could do it again if they chose to.

So the images are being copyrighted by CGC, that is the message that pops up when you try to save. I'm sure this isn't a straightforward yes/no answer with arguments to be made but I wonder if CGC can legally copyright something like this. Nothing in the picture belongs to CGC. The book and the case both belong to the submitter. The artwork in the picture belongs to the publisher. So... what exactly is CGC copyrighting?

Isn't copyright I don't think, I don't know copyright law.

Protected content perhaps.

If CGC has such concern, I'm sure they'll watermark the images like every other company that insists they own images.

Making people pay for images of their own property isn't something new, although in this context I find it a hilarious cash grab.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:32 AM, Poutine said:

Isn't copyright I don't think, I don't know copyright law.

Protected content perhaps.

If CGC has such concern, I'm sure they'll watermark the images like every other company that insists they own images.

Making people pay for images of their own property isn't something new, although in this context I find it a hilarious cash grab.

When you try to save, the pop up window on the CGC site literally says "this image is copyrighted"

On 7/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, LordRahl said:

When you try to save, the pop up window on the CGC site literally says "this image is copyrighted"

They can call it what they want, I am saying 

On 7/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, Poutine said:

Protected content perhaps

But I don't know copyright law, perhaps I am wrong.

Case in point: I just received 2 books from the Alex Ross signing - the scans look spectacular, but in person, one book has a small (but noticeable) scratch on the back, so back it goes. The scratch is not present on the scans.

Edited by dbcn

On 7/14/2023 at 10:45 AM, Poutine said:

They can call it what they want, I am saying 

But I don't know copyright law, perhaps I am wrong.

Ah got it. Yeah that is basically what I'm questioning, can they even copyright an image of things they don't own and have been previously copyrighted by someone else. Seems like the answer would be no but I'm not a lawyer. I know they can charge for images of something they don't own, they've been doing it for years. 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, TRMN8R5 said:

Short answer: YES

That's my issue right now with the submittal I just got back.  I actually PAID for scans of the eight books I sent in, and still haven't received them :mad: .

So, $40 down the crapper...for scans they apparently now do ANYway for FREE, which I was totally unaware of :facepalm: .

I haven't gotten a refund; which I absolutely should, because now ANYone can access and keep those scans, just like you just mentioned.  But since I actually paid for them, I shouldn't have to screenshot and crop them just to get them added to my library (tsk) .

I can't save the pictures of my books appearing with the grader notes.  So apparently one would need to take a screenshot.  But that would provide a pix with far lower resolution than the scans you paid for.  So cheer up!  

On 7/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, TRMN8R5 said:

MY point exactly!

On 7/14/2023 at 2:21 PM, Gaard said:

Seems a tad unscrupulous to still be charging for images.

I mean no offense to TRMN8R5 but... I'm sure the 10 or 20 people that generate a few hundred extra bucks a year for CGC are an afterthought at this point given how new this is. It sounds like this is a pilot and they are still figuring things out. I say that in jest, but not really, I can't imagine there are many people paying $5 a pop for pics. If this does go forward however, they may rethink the imaging charge.