• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Scanning All Books?
5 5

94 posts in this topic

I just read on FB that CGC is now scanning all books and posting the scans to your submission... even if you don't pay for imaging. Can someone confirm if this is accurate? FB is an absolute treasure trove of misinformation so I'm not inclined to believe it. I do have some submissions in right now but not far enough along to see it in action if true.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:09 PM, LordRahl said:

I just read on FB that CGC is now scanning all books and posting the scans to your submission... even if you don't pay for imaging. Can someone confirm if this is accurate? FB is an absolute treasure trove of misinformation so I'm not inclined to believe it. I do have some submissions in right now but not far enough along to see it in action if true.

It has been true for the many that have posted about it, I have yet to see it happen to magazines though, but it looks to be true and may have happened to help with quality control, imo, as a few have already been posted that were caught to be fixed before they went out the door.

Bit of a looooong sentence lol 

On 7/13/2023 at 11:20 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It has been true for the many that have posted about it, I have yet to see it happen to magazines though, but it looks to be true and may have happened to help with quality control, imo, as a few have already been posted that were caught to be fixed before they went out the door.

Bit of a looooong sentence lol 

Any idea when this started? Can't believe this isn't getting more press than it is. 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, LordRahl said:

Any idea when this started? Can't believe this isn't getting more press than it is. 

Ya that I'm not sure. I had cgc moderns and mags that came back early June that neither had them, so I'm thinking mid June , as it was mentioned right after I received them back and nothing. lol

:cheers:

Hope that helps

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, LordRahl said:

Holy cow! That is fantastic! First time in a long time where CGC is actually providing more value and not just jacking up prices. Still can't believe this isn't being talked about more but whatever... I LOVE it

Not sure - I couldn't lift the scans from CGC Verification with my computer. Someone else said they could do it with their phone.

On 7/13/2023 at 5:26 PM, lizards2 said:

Not sure - I couldn't lift the scans from CGC Verification with my computer. Someone else said they could do it with their phone.

I believe it was right click or hold down, however you do it to open a "new tab" , with the picture only, then somehow that new tab being downloaded.

Idk if it's easier, but maybe screenshot and cropping is less scientific but would work, kind of takes the fun out of it lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I mean if this is a cgc policy, one could probably ask CGC customer service.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, revat said:

I mean if this is a cgc policy, one could probably ask CGC customer service.

Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light on this? If true, it's certainly a positive and welcome change/bonus, but I'm perplexed why CGC haven't put out a press release on it. 

On 7/13/2023 at 3:26 PM, lizards2 said:

Ah, that does limit its utility. But still better than no image and it will work as designed in terms of verifying what you're buying.

On 7/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I believe it was right click or hold down, however you do it to open a "new tab" , with the picture only, then somehow that new tab being downloaded.

Idk if it's easier, but maybe screenshot and cropping is less scientific but would work, kind of takes the fun out of it lol

On 7/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, LordRahl said:

Ah, that does limit its utility. But still better than no image and it will work as designed in terms of verifying what you're buying.

I also wonder if it has to be your own books to lift the scans "freely".

#thenewgradersnotes 😀 :insane: 😂

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I just checked a random book just graded and it has scans of front and back cover. Also this message 

If the information displayed above is incorrect or does not match the collectible you are verifying, or if you believe that you have a counterfeit or tampered CGC holder, please contact Submissions@CGCcomics.com. To learn more about counterfeit or tampered CGC holders, click here. 

Their sister company NGC coin has been doing it since 2008 to prevent counterfeit slabs, or people slightly cracking to switch out coins.

CGC started softly in May, not on all orders. My Vintage Order from May 1st had it, but other orders from May did not have images.

CGC seems to have started since at least 6/5 in regards to comics regularly. That was my first June submission that had photographs, as have future ones.

I hope it continues, I was able to see what CGC private signing remarques look like before the book makes it to the front door. 

Below is an image from the May order. 

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 8.13.28 PM.png

• Administrator
On 7/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Maybe @CGC Mike can shed some light on this? If true, it's certainly a positive and welcome change/bonus, but I'm perplexed why CGC haven't put out a press release on it. 

I have just asked about this, and will post what I am told.

On 7/13/2023 at 5:52 PM, dbcn said:

My 2 Alex Ross signed books shipped today, both have scans (and they look fantastic!) - if this a policy change, I'm all for it.

Ditto, my Ross submissions had scans. Can't download it though, but Print Screen button does the trick nicely.

Is this photo process automated (e.g., comes out of an assembly line belt into a photo machine)? Does it affect turnaround time queue?

Edited by bobotski

On 7/13/2023 at 6:26 PM, lizards2 said:

I'm also unable to save the scans from my shipped July 13 submission. I receive the message that the scans are copyrighted. That is unfortunate as it would save me the time of having to scan the front and back covers of the 25 comic books. Apparently, you get what you pay for and I have never paid for scans which, if I recall correctly, presently cost $5 per comic book. If my price quote is correct, 25 scans would have added an additional $125 to my submission cost. To repeat myself, apparently I'm cheap.