• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitted, Delivered, or Checked in. What date determines discount?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

My membership is about to expire in 3 days.

I submitted an order to CGC 10 days ago and it was delivered by USPS 7 days ago. *I mailed it with my own shipping label and insurance, so CGC doesn't have the tracking information in their system.

Anyhow, I'm curious as to which date determines the discount that is applied to my account:

A) Date the forms were completed and an order was placed with a Credit Card (as it should be)

B) Date delivered to the CGC office/PO Box (via tracking)

C) Date CGC gets around to scanning it in (10-20 days average)

D) Date CGC charges me for the completed service

If my membership expires before CGC acknowledges the package, is my credit wasted?

Thanks.

• Administrator
On 7/15/2023 at 7:36 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

What's the point of an 'ASK CGC' thread if they don't answer?

Someone from customer service will answer your questions either tomorrow or Monday.  

• Administrator

Hello @Drake Dragoon

Thank you for being so patient. Chat boards are generally answered on weekday mornings and Sundays; customer service is closed on Saturdays. If you ever need an urgent response, our phones are open until 8:00 pm Eastern Monday through Friday

Your membership credit expires on your membership anniversary, and as long as your package is delivered before the expiration date, it is eligible for the credit. If the order is created before the expiration date and the package arrives after, we can review the issue on a case-by-case basis, and in most cases with we can honor the credit. Once your submission has completed the intake process and has been entered into the system, we can review the charges/credit. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

My USPS tracking #9405509205568016807051 to verify that my package was at CGC before my membership lapsed.

Initially, I thought placing an order with my credit card would reserve the credit. But now I can see how someone might place an order, but delay sending it in for months, knowing they won't be charged until CGC grades the books.

Thanks again for the reply.

What date determines discount?

I asked this question because I kept getting mixed messages, and I wanted a final confirmation.

But I just got an email reply when I asked a representative about my membership discount that conflicts again.

"I wanted to confirm that my membership credit for $150 that expired on July 14th was properly deducted from the total. The package was delivered on July 10th."

"Regarding your renewal credit of $150. It was applied to this submission because you're not charged for the grading until the grading actually occurs (July 28)."

Shasta M. (customer service email) said: "until the grading actually occurs"

BUT...

NickiO CS (this thread) said: "as long as your package is delivered before the expiration date"

edited: And now the customer service hotline just told me "when CGC charges the card, which could be when it's received or when it's graded, depending on the service."

I'm sure CGC will sort it out in a fair manner and properly credit my account (edited: they did), but it's just strange that this is so vague.

I just want to be sure that my $150 credit from the last cycle was applied to my submission (renewed July 14th, package delivered July 10th), and that I still have a new $150 credit remaining for use in a future submission (edited: this was answered in a phone call).

After that, I'll just make sure to send a submission no later than 30 days before my membership renews - to be sure I get the proper credit without a weird experience.

Edited by Drake Dragoon

• Administrator

Hey Drake,

I am so sorry for all the confusion you have received. As Crystal mentioned above as long as the package was delivered to our office before your renewal date we can apply this credit. If it arrives after that date we will review these on a case-by-case basis. It is not guaranteed but it is likely as long as it arrived in a reasonable time we will be accommodating and apply that member credit. In the past, this was not something we would be able to accommodate because there was no process in place. Now however we can absolutely assist and review these situations appropriately. 

As you mentioned though AND FOR ANY OTHER CUSTOMERS to be sure you receive this credit with no issues, we recommend not waiting until the last minute to send in submissions. This is because membership credit is not tied to the website it is tied to our accounting software. A good rule is if you are signing up for a membership level with that credit discount, to start working on your submission form as soon as possible so you do not forget about it. 

As always if you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Thank you for your replies and the additional information.

It sounds like the definitive policy is: B) Date delivered to the CGC office/PO Box (via tracking)

I conclude that CGC doesn't have an automated system that links the data to see if there's a discount that expired between stages that should've been applied. They just see if you have a current discount when they actually charge the card, without seeing when the submission was delivered to the mail room. And if the customer calls in and says "did I get my discount? It was delivered on time!" they can review and fix it later.

But how do I know if I got the right discount if I can't review what credits I have available on my account page? And why do I need to call in and get the discount fixed when CGC already knows the date the package arrived?

(example: CGC destroyed one of my books during slabbing and paid my declared value. I assumed it was credited to my card. Nope. It's a credit on my CGC account that I had no idea was there, because I can't see it. I only found out because I was inquiring about my membership credit on the phone.)

My hope is that the new website changes (coming soon) will allow customers to view which credits they have available, when they expire, and a cut off date to mail in a submission to obtain each credit. And that the new system will automate the link between mail room deliveries and the finance department.

IN ADDITION:

- It would be nice if I could enter my own tracking number for a submission that I send to CGC when I use my own mail service. That way, CGC has a more accurate record of when my submission was delivered to their mail room, which could help automate the credit process.

- And finally, a line by line breakdown of the charges on the final invoice would be helpful. I'd be able to see what final services I was charged for and which discounts were applied. The final charge often differs from the submission invoice total, and even the services may differ if collectibles are moved to other tiers, charged based on FMV, or rejected in a pre-screen submission. So this seems like a necessary/required feature.

No need to respond. Thanks for reading my rant, comments, and criticism.