• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wtf, what is Static?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

He had a popular cartoon that aired in the US, Static Shock. That lead to him appearing in JLU, and him gaining a cult following. His comic became part of the New 52, though didn't last long due to internal strife (a very interesting read if you can track it down, Scott McDaniel was behind it, I believe, as the villain). 

I assume your overseas OP but if you have access to Amazon (or something similar) I’d suggest renting/buying a series called “Robert Kirkman’s History of Comics.” He did an episode on Milestone Comics, which Static is the flagship character of. It’s very interesting and informative. Basically DC wanted to increase minority representation in comics so they established a new side imprint ala Vertigo or Marvel’s Max line called Milestone run entirely by people of color. It’s a very good documentary and you’ll learn lots about Static!

On 7/23/2023 at 12:46 AM, BA773 said:

Honnestly i have too much goals to complete actually to put money on this and more of that this charachter is to unknown for me to show interest for him...  i was just interrogates after seeing the value of it.

No worries then. Streaming may have somewhat leveled the playing field as to what is available in other media over seas. If you can catch up on the Static character in the cartoon or other, there is a lot to like, but as of recently the only moving value being movie speculation, idk if it is just low hanging fruit. All in good fun I would think as he doesn't come up in regular conversations for me very often, I could see how you needed to use investigative skills.

Even Batman Beyond, which is possibly more attractive in nostalgia, has actually gone down in value recently, so I way over paid. Good for you to do due diligence. Static was fun but a very 90's portrayal.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

Static had his own animated series from 2000-2004, Static Shock.  The character has had a small cult following since then which is probably why the book sells for more than cover.

ahh yeah i think i remember this cartoon show and he flew around on like a static disk with a yellow jacket out fit?

On 7/23/2023 at 4:15 AM, godzilla43 said:

Also don't believe some youtubers claiming these are low print or hard to find. Only the last issue.

???

None of them are really that low, but if you're going to claim the last issue is relatively low, you have to acknowledge that many other issues are as well.

On 7/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

None of them are really that low, but if you're going to claim the last issue is relatively low, you have to acknowledge that many other issues are as well.

The print run is probably the same with last issue or issue before that but because the last issue has a cover by Moebius it has been sought after from the get go.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:43 AM, Bird said:

:gossip:Moebius!.

Surprised it’s that popular. hm
Learned something.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, godzilla43 said:

Well maybe I was oversaturating a bit but still there was and still are some Moebius collectors out there.

Giraud is one of my all-time favourite artists, but for me the Static cover isn’t one of his best. Still, appeal’s subjective.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Slayah said:

We wouldn't have Watchmen if they hadn't 👍 

Sure.    But is there any connection from this newer Static to the ditko series?    I suspect a loose connection?   But I've never read either series.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, Bronty said:

Sure.    But is there any connection from this newer Static to the ditko series?    I suspect a loose connection?   But I've never read either series.

No more connection to Ditko than Galactus' robot has to Frank Castle or the loser who debuted and died in Nick Fury #15 has to Ben Poindexter.

On 7/22/2023 at 5:28 PM, BA773 said:

Wow what is it!? I never heard about before. Just was looking on mycomicshop somes series from the 90s and discover it. Why the value of these books are so crazy!? What happened to create a so great hype?

Are someone get the full run here?

I have a complete run of all of the original Milestone titles. They're really good reads, but with all of the new universes that popped up in the '90s, there was a lot to choose from. Since their focus was on minority characters, created predominantly by minority creators, I think a lot of people may have passed on them thinking they were being created for minority readers, but as a white guy from the suburbs, I had no problem finding the characters relatable. Since Static was a teen hero, I imagine the reading experience was similar to what readers got out of Spider-man when he was a new character in the '60s.

They recently rebooted the line, publishing "Season One" minis of the original four Milestone titles (Static, Hardware, Icon, and Blood Syndicate). The second Static mini (Shadows of Dakota) and an Icon vs. Hardware mini are in-progress right now.

At the time the original line was canceled, monthly sales numbers were only around 5000 copies or so, so a lot of those later Milestone books are tough to find, especially if you're looking for them in top condition.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:29 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think a lot of people may have passed on them thinking they were being created for minority readers, but as a white guy from the suburbs, I had no problem finding the characters relatable.

I agree.  They were good reads, pure and simple. Worth following.

More interesting than most of the drek being published at the time. Sadly overlooked and always available in bargain boxes at comic marts over here.

Edited by Ken Aldred