• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 4 starring Tobey Maguire rumors (TBD)
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Thomas Haden Church has now appeared as Flint Marko in two Spider-Man films, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 and Marvel Studios' Spider-Man: No Way Home. If he gets his choice, however, the actor would most certainly appear in a third one. More particularly, Church tells ComicBook.com's Chris Killian that he'd love to appear in a fourth Spider-Man flick from the mind of Raimi.

"There's always been some kind of…I've heard rumors…that Sam Raimi was going to do another [Spider-Man movie] with Tobey [Maguire] and if that happens, I would probably campaign to maybe at least do a cameo," Church says, speaking with us in support of Peacock's Twisted Metal.

Is Sam Raimi making a fourth Spider-Man movie?

Raimi has long been attached to a fourth Spider-Man project, with Sony even pushing the film into pre-production point. The filmmaker has now said he's down to return to such a project, especially after shooting a multiversal project like Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

"I've come to realize after making Doctor Strange that anything is possible, really anything in the Marvel universe, any team-ups," Raimi last year said when asked about another possible Spider-Man sequel. "I love Tobey. I love Kirsten Dunst. I think all things are possible. I don't really have a story or a plan. I don't know if Marvel would be interested in that right now. I don't know what their thoughts are about that. I haven't really pursued that. But it sounds beautiful. Even if it wasn't a Spider-Man movie, I'd love to work with Tobey again, in a different role."

I've said this before I'm sure, and in a lot more detail, but I'd love to se a 'proper', faithful Gobby kills MJ story. What a way to go out that would be for the original cast. 

I would honestly love it if they did a Spider-Man 4...I think audiences would definitely show up to movie theatres to see a Raimi/McGuire Spidey 4. There are still several untapped conventional and unconventional villains they could use too. Have an older Spidey with MJ, maybe add a child element...Or, introduce Morlun (Raimi could make him pretty freaky, I suspect), launch a live action Spider-Verse movie, intro live action Spider-Gwen and Miles, have Tobey be the "elder statesman"...Anyway, suffice to say, I think they still have ample material they could mine for a solid Raimi/Tobey Spidey 4.

On 7/27/2023 at 9:53 AM, Cat said:

I still want a proper Scorpion (yeah I know we got hints in the MCU, but that's all, hints) please. 

Vulture and/or Scorpion should have completed the Sinister Six in No Way Home. Really disappointed that that credit scene went nowhere.

On 7/27/2023 at 9:53 AM, Cat said:

I don't want to see a Spider-Man 4 to see Spider-Gwen or Miles. I'd want to see it to see Toby again, for one more outing. I'd also want someone bigger than Morlun. I still want a proper Scorpion (yeah I know we got hints in the MCU, but that's all, hints) please. 

Oh, I agree...I'd prefer it for the spotlight to just be on Tobey's Spidey. I am just saying it would be a WAY to do it (Introduce Spider-Gwen and Miles into live action) and if anyone could make a menacing Morlun, Raimi would be a good fit.

As far as villains, yes, definitely could use a proper Scorpion as one of the classic villains not yet used. Kraven could have been cool choice too, but...While derivative of Green Goblin, I could even see a proper Hobgoblin being a good choice. Heck, maybe even the Chameleon. Point being, still lots of Spidey lore for Raimi to mine :).

On 7/28/2023 at 1:23 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm only interested in Franco comes back

giphy.gif

Anything but Franco. I'd totally forgotten about him. 

On 7/27/2023 at 11:17 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Oh, I agree...I'd prefer it for the spotlight to just be on Tobey's Spidey. I am just saying it would be a WAY to do it (Introduce Spider-Gwen and Miles into live action) and if anyone could make a menacing Morlun, Raimi would be a good fit.

As far as villains, yes, definitely could use a proper Scorpion as one of the classic villains not yet used. Kraven could have been cool choice too, but...While derivative of Green Goblin, I could even see a proper Hobgoblin being a good choice. Heck, maybe even the Chameleon. Point being, still lots of Spidey lore for Raimi to mine :).

I think Hobgoblin could be perfect. He's trying to figure out who has gotten a hold of Harry's tech.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

how quickly everyone forgets the mess of Doctor Strange and Spider-man 3.

I was thinking that SM4 could be Raimi’s way of being forgiven for SM3. I’d love to see the painful lessons learned from that fixed for 4.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:50 PM, alexgross.com said:

many of us would like to see tobey play spidey again. but not with raimi, please. was doctor strange and the horror zone of terrible moviemaking not enough proof that he's not a good filmmaker??

To be fair, we can't be sure which creative choices were Raimi's. DS2 had a lot of studio interference, which is why Derrickson left the production.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:59 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

To be fair, we can't be sure which creative choices were Raimi's. DS2 had a lot of studio interference, which is why Derrickson left the production.

Exactly! Even the articles that came out later about the extensive DS2 reshoots were sad to read. Like they disregarded the director's vision, and went with "WE KNOW BETTER" by MCU/Marvel Studios default.

Fired MCU Exec Told A Director That Marvel Directs the Movies

The recently-fired Alonso reportedly told the Marvel director, who helmed one of the biggest movies the studio has ever put out, that he did not direct the movie, but that we (MARVEL) direct the movies. 

• Lee: Marvel systemically harvests directors from the Sundance Film Festival, someone whose directed some cheapo movie that got a lot of buzz, that has a lot of heart, a lot of originality. And then they suddenly prop them up with a nine-figure budget for the first time. These people by and large do not have any experience with VFX. I'm talking about Taika Waititi, Chloe Zhou, Ryan Coogler.
  • Bellomi: Fleck and Boden. All these filmmakers that they bring into the MCU, they do so knowing that they are not technical wizards.
  • Lee: Yeah. Around the time of Victoria Alonso's dismissal, I was DMing with an extremely well-known director who works on a Marvel film, and she was relating some remarks that Victoria said to her about anotherfilmmaker who directed -- let's just say it was one of the biggest movies ever put out. She was talking about this guy and she said 'They don't direct the movies, we direct the movies.' Meaning, the filmmakers we hire don't have creative control over the look of the films.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:10 PM, jsilverjanet said:

how quickly everyone forgets the mess of Doctor Strange and Spider-man 3.

just like the dc aficionados forget b v s and justice league and would love a new cavill supe movie.  quid pro quo, clarice.  

On 7/31/2023 at 10:49 AM, Straw-Man said:

just like the dc aficionados forget b v s and justice league and would love a new cavill supe movie.  quid pro quo, clarice.  

Most people liked BvS and ZSJL, though. So if you talk to people about DCEU, you're going to run into more people that want Cavill than not. I guess I would wonder why you were under the impression that it would be the opposite.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus