• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on Lee Wildcats market - today's HA sale
2 2

16 posts in this topic

This page just sold at HA for $9.600 (with juice)

Is there something special about this page or is this pretty much market?

Thanks!

Mark

Jim Lee and Scott Williams WildC.A.T.S: Covert Action Teams #4 Story Page 20 Original Art (Image, 1993). Voodoo discovers Spartan still exists after sacrificing himself to stop Helspont. Jacob Marlow (Lord Emp) and Void are also featured on this page from early in the Jim Lee-helmed title. Ink over graphite on Image Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15". Text paste-up and light handling wear. In Excellent condition.

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Jim Lee and Scott Williams WildC.A.T.S: Covert Action Teams #4 Story Page 20 Original Art (Image, 1993)....

This likely is the "affordable" side of the Jim Lee market Mark. It's a pretty page especially with Scott's inking. But I don't remember those storylines too much. Not sure if "significant" events are taking place so early in the series.

I'm not a Lee expert, but I agree- that page is really nice. It has some graphic treatment going on with Void's face, a nice white space panel and a classic Jim Lee girly pose with Void as well as a classic Jim Lee girly face and hairdo on Voodoo. I would say this page nails a lot of his stylistic checkboxes all at one price. Plus, Grape's comment on Scott Williams inks being there definitely adds to it.

The price doesn't surprise me, I had long ago given up on the idea of landing a 90's Jim Lee piece, they continue to climb. For me, a Lee 90's page is like a touchstone to the greatness of the era - I'm sure tons of people feel the same way.

On 7/28/2023 at 12:30 PM, stinkininkin said:

By the way, these prices seem to only be realized on the first 12 issue run on Wildcats. Jim drew for some later issues of Wildcats (issue 31 and 50 off the top of my head) which don't seem to have the same price fervor. I'm guessing that love it or hate it, that first year of Wildcats and Image generally brought a lot of fans and excitement over from what we were all doing at Marvel, but the later years saw a drop-off in sales, which translates to a smaller number fan base to bid against. Just an observation. 

Scott, 

While I have you here, do you know where this resides?

3808-1.png

On 7/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, stinkininkin said:

By the way, these prices seem to only be realized on the first 12 issue run on Wildcats. Jim drew for some later issues of Wildcats (issue 31 and 50 off the top of my head) which don't seem to have the same price fervor. I'm guessing that love it or hate it, that first year of Wildcats and Image generally brought a lot of fans and excitement over from what we were all doing at Marvel, but the later years saw a drop-off in sales, which translates to a smaller number fan base to bid against. Just an observation. 

Speaking of the Wildcats issue above, that price seems to be reasonable in the sense of you’re getting a lot of yours and Jim’s style that was evident in the Marvel X-Men stuff, but at a much lower market price. Aside from not having the same character recognition of the X-Men, $9600 seems pretty legit for the work on the page and its composition. The more I look at that Wildcats page, the more I like it.

Grats to the winner!

Edited by Dr. Balls

ooh, just bid on a strip published on the day I was born. I only have 5 strips from that day and one from the birth year so this would be groovy even if the artist is one I would not normally seek.

Edited by Bird

On 7/29/2023 at 9:25 AM, Bird said:

ooh, just bid on a strip published on the day I was born. I only have 5 strips from that day and one from the birth year so this would be groovy even if the artist is one I would not normally seek.

A Lee Wildcats strip? That's something I'd like to see! lol

On 7/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, stinkininkin said:

A Lee Wildcats strip? That's something I'd like to see! lol

there was no other place to talk about the day's HA sale, so I used this

kinda like doing Image work on a Marvel art board?, maybe?

;-)