• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Comic Forums, Conventions, Stores, Sellers, etc Have Banned You And Why? {SERIOUS}
6 6

141 posts in this topic

Got banned by an over-zealous mod on the Comics Heating Up (CHU) Forums.

Had a problem with the inconsistency in the moderation by a particular mod, and this mod was on a tear - threatening suspensions and bans to multiple members, including me, for the slightest thing he disagreed with. Was warned by him to not question him publicly, so started a discussion with the mod in PM, and was promptly suspended. Back from suspension, realized the guy (in PM's) had asked me to respond to his comebacks, while I was actually suspended and couldnt (go figure). Was suspended again after engaging in a discussion that said mod had contributed to, and didnt like me disagreeing with. The owner, Anthony actually told me to avoid the mod, and I tried my best.

Mod finally banned me after I questioned him, when he threatened another member with a suspension or ban, saying he felt I never liked him and I was a troll.🙄. Eh, the mods prerogative ...

For the record, CHU is a great site, and all the mods (except the one) and most members are great. Very informative articles, and good discussions. Only issue lately has been over-criticizing of other comic-related sites over book tips and store variants.

Edited by DocCRR

A decade ago during the blank cover boom; I commissioned a Grim Fairy Tales Jam Book (posted in another thread). It was a complete disaster with some third grade level art. The artist threatened to call security on me when I finally tracked him down at his booth after claiming he had no idea about anything. He eventually blocked me on a couple social media sites so I guess I am banned.. lol.

Edited by DougC

On 7/28/2023 at 2:33 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I hate stores like that.  The hope of finding underpriced gems is one of the main appeals of actually taking the time to search through back issue bins.  If I want to pay FMV for something, I can go to any of a dozen different places online and order it.  It's the store owner's job to find those books and price them accordingly, not the buyer's to do all the work and then pay above the marked price. :pullhair:

I got lucky recently the opposite way.  Found good stuff and paid sticker.  Nothing was said during check out.  So, I was definitely lucky.

On 7/29/2023 at 2:22 PM, Prince Namor said:

And he does some of the best commissions in the business (or DID, I think he backed off now). They aren't (weren't) cheap, but they are (were) SPECTACULAR. 

Strangely enough, I'd been thinking of posting an anecdote about the Sean Phillips commission I got for you at a London convention once.

I took it to the post office in town, and the guy there, without any discussion, tried to charge me a higher tier postage rate which included £50 of insurance which I hadn't asked for. A little confused, I made a polite query about this, and the clerk, clearly having a bad day and wanting to take it out on someone, threw down the pen he was using, ripped the postage sticker off, started whining tearfully about how he was sick of customers doing this to him, angrily passed your commission back over to me and told me to leave and go somewhere else in future. 

I reported this to the Post Office, pointing out that it was difficult to quantify how much I should've insured the drawing for, but in any case there'd been no discussion at all about the subject, the clerk was just being pushy and then acting out with his inner child at full force when I didn't comply.

They understood, apologised, and sent me a book of first class stamps. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Strangely enough, I'd been thinking of posting an anecdote about the Sean Phillips commission I got for you at a London convention once.

I took it to the post office in town, and the guy there, without any discussion, tried to charge me a higher tier postage rate which included £50 of insurance which I hadn't asked for. A little confused, I made a polite query about this, and the clerk, clearly having a bad day and wanting to take it out on someone, threw down the pen he was using, ripped the postage sticker off, started whining tearfully about how he was sick of customers doing this to him, angrily passed your commission back over to me and told me to leave and go somewhere else in future. 

I reported this to the Post Office, pointing out that it was difficult to quantify how much I should've insured the drawing for, but in any case there'd been no discussion at all about the subject, the clerk was just being pushy and then acting out with his inner child at full force when I didn't comply.

gif.gif

On 7/29/2023 at 5:40 PM, Dr. Balls said:

gif.gif

Very similar, actually.  Not a bad guess.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/29/2023 at 12:33 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Wow! Some people should not be in Customer Service!

On 7/29/2023 at 9:49 PM, Prince Namor said:

Wow! Some people should not be in Customer Service!

Experiences like this one down the years have made me ever less self-conscious about being neurodivergent.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:53 AM, Mystafo said:

Only banned from sub reddits thus far...I still downvote every post in those without exception.

I'm not a fan of Reddit, I'm glad to hear someone undertakes a form of Internet Vigilantism there.

I have only been banned from my home. I have to speak to my wife about that.

Okay, not serious (or is it).

I don't recall ever being banned from a comic book venue. If I was, I have clearly blocked it out as it was very likely a very traumatic experience. :blush:

I’ve only been banned once, from a Rob Liefeld fan forum on FB that Rob posts to.

This happened back when he was touring comic shops in support of Major X. He appeared at a comic shop in either TX or CA, I forget which, but they made it VERY clear he was there for MX. He would meet fans, sign MX1 for free, take pics, etc. but if you wanted something else like your NM87 signed he was gonna charge his regular fees. Anyway the comic gossip sites picked up an angry post from some “fan” who posted/emailed that he loved Rob, waited in line for 2 hours, then got told he couldn’t meet Rob bc he had no money. 

Rob posted links to these articles as examples of how the comic media smears him. I looked at the articles and it was very clear the “fan” in question was a native Spanish speaker who had a limited grasp of English and the whole thing came down to a language barrier. I posted as such to which Rob replied (paraphrasing): “Don’t make excuses for comic sites! Everyone there knew how the event worked! The comic press is always out to smear me!”

The reply was like 5 minutes old. When I hit refresh to respond, I saw I was banned.

Thr great irony of all this is I was always a big Liefeld fan to the point Peter David actually wrote about me as a “diehard Rob fan” in one of his CBG columns back in 1994. Oh well…

On 7/29/2023 at 12:16 AM, Ken Aldred said:

A shame to read this about Byrne as he’s been one of my favourite writer / artists since my teenage years in the late 70s.

John Byrne grew up in Canadia.  So, it's possible he is both a very nice guy and also can hold lifetime grudges over minor critiques and perceived scoldings.