• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Various Spiderman Titles - relative ranking
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I am finally getting back into the hobby after a 30 year absence and find myself questioning the relative rankinf of the various Spider Man titles.

When I had first started it was an even split between Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker Spectaular Spider-Man but for some reason I was finding a prefernce for the Peter-Parker titles as I found the covers more attractive

In so far as restating and filling the gaps, I am looking more at the Peter Paker books but am wondering if in general people value Amazing Spiderman more.

I find that the characater cross overs and key first appearances have a better growth potential when comparing FMV and long term value to be better on the Peter Parker series as opposed to Amazing Spider-Man.  I am no fortune teller, it just feels that way to me when I am looking at 
the books on Ebay and other sites. 

What do you guys think?

On 7/29/2023 at 6:17 AM, aabruzzese said:

Hi, 

I am finally getting back into the hobby after a 30 year absence and find myself questioning the relative rankinf of the various Spider Man titles.

When I had first started it was an even split between Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker Spectaular Spider-Man but for some reason I was finding a prefernce for the Peter-Parker titles as I found the covers more attractive

In so far as restating and filling the gaps, I am looking more at the Peter Paker books but am wondering if in general people value Amazing Spiderman more.

I find that the characater cross overs and key first appearances have a better growth potential when comparing FMV and long term value to be better on the Peter Parker series as opposed to Amazing Spider-Man.  I am no fortune teller, it just feels that way to me when I am looking at 
the books on Ebay and other sites. 

What do you guys think?

I'm not much of a collector nor speculator these day but wanted to give your thread a bump.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:59 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Since I started collecting in the early 70s, and ASM was one of my main interests, it's hard to separate my youthful bias from what others might see as a different truth.  I think you're hard-pressed to top ASM #121/#122 in any Silver Age book, or any of the various Spider-titles of the Bronze Age or later. On the other hand, ASM #33, #39/#40 are fantastic stories along with many, many other Silver story lines.  In addition, I found the Silver Age stories really compelling because here was a kid not much older than I who seemed "real" - i.e he was experiencing things that I either had or soon would - wanting independence, getting a job, getting interested in girls, transportation, dealing with school and the various personal problems that come up in all our lives. While the "real life" aspects remained a theme for a long time, by the time PPSSM etc came around, all the groundwork had been laid and the problems Peter had were mostly just repeats or extensions of previous problems. 

When PPSSM came out (1976) I bought a couple copies of issue #1 but never bought another one (to be fair, this is toward the end of my first "collecting burst" that ended about a year later). I didn't buy any Spider-Man (1990) issues until my second collecting burst in the early 90s which ended in 1992 and then only a handful in the high teens and low 20s. I didn't find them compelling enough to continue.

To sum up, which I suppose I could have done in a single, declarative sentence (which I'm rarely able to do), I find the ASM run much more interesting than other Spider titles.

I agree on the Interesting point but are people collecting the books on the value of the story or the art and key events? As you mentioned when I first started buying the books back in the 70's I used to read them and then stack under the bed along with my 
hockey and baseball cards. I also had started collecting stamps and coins but I stopped buying comics when I hit grade 11 and 
finished high school, since i was in college and working as many hours as possible at the same time. But like you mentioned the bug never really goes away and you occasionally go back and get a few more but by that time it was bagged and boarded byt
the time I got them home. As luck would have it, we wound up moving many times and eventually I went to work in Europe and
the states for like 20 years or more and when I came back home most of the long boxes were gone since they took up too much
room and were disposed of by innocent parents who did not know the value of the comics or hockey cards. Even my collection 
of rock concert T-Shirts was gone. 

So now I just buy the books bagged and boarded and remember that the few books I had left are mostly PPSSM and some 
oddball titles.