• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Hornet # 1 ( 1940) 9.4 Universal up on EBay.
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 7:07 PM, action1kid said:

I paid 15 k for it in 2004

I f you are referring to the Church copy, better than the winner who had paid $19,200 for it a year earlier in 2003 and sold it to you at a loss then:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/green-hornet-comics-1-mile-high-pedigree-harvey-1940-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages-we-have-a-projection-based-on-early-re/a/807-6139.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Green Hornet Comics #1 Mile High pedigree (Harvey, 1940) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white pages. We have a projection based on early re...

Then again, since we were talking about Boy Commandos 1 in another thread, you really kind of gotta feel for the initial winner of the CGC 9.4 Church copy who had paid some $34.5K for it back in 2002 to see it resell for only $21,850 a few years later in 2005, but still double the $10,157.50 that it sold for when reholdered in a new slab in 2010 from the Gary Keller Collection.   :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/7/2023 at 5:57 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, it is priced at at least 10 times what it's worth—I was serious about that—but I'm sure it wasn't an accident on his part. I doubt he's actually insane enough to think that it's worth anywhere near that amount, but he probably priced it that way as a marketing gimmick—and I guess it's working because it's gotten him attention here.

There's absolutely no way this is worth only $13,000. It wasn't long ago even Wonder Woman wasn't relevant.  You need one good movie to revive a character 

On 8/10/2023 at 6:09 AM, thejudge01 said:

There's absolutely no way this is worth only $13,000. It wasn't long ago even Wonder Woman wasn't relevant.  You need one good movie to revive a character 

Old comics are only worth what someone is willing to pay. The real point here is that as the older collecting community who find these characters relevant leave the hobby does the value still hold? Green Hornet made a splash through the TV show of the sixties; after that there is much less relevance.

The conundrum will be if some of the nicer Golden Age material starts to be valued like Platinum Age material; anachronistic artifacts from another era but without current cache or relevance. That would likely result in lower prices. I'm not talking classic stuff here but the B rated hero material. On the other hand when I look at how the early Fox books have taken off I kind of scratch my head. That market isn't driven by folks who had an affinity for the material.

I'd sure hate to have my major investments in old comics (other than the blue chip stuff); feels like you could easily get burned.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:09 PM, thejudge01 said:

Well, if it's indeed all about the movies, does this mean that we should all be jumping onto the Police Comics 1 train before it leaves the station: hm lol

https://blog.gocollect.com/is-plastic-man-next-on-james-gunns-superman-legacy-casting-list/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=is-plastic-man-next-on-james-gunns-superman-legacy-casting-list&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Latest+GoCollect+Posts+-+Comic+Collectors++Corner&utm_campaign=Blog+RSS%3A+Comic+Collectors++Corner+(4%2F24%2F23)+NEW+(Copy)

After the latest wave of Superman: Legacy casting announcements, there is growing speculation that Plastic Man is coming to the DCU. 

Only weeks ago, James Gunn broke the news that he had found his Superman and Lois. Shortly thereafter, he revealed three surprising additions to his cast: Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, and Mister Terrific. If that weren’t enough to motivate collectors and investors, Gunn added that Metamorpho will join Superman: Legacy. That has fueled theories that The Terrifics are forming, a team that featured Plastic Man and Phantom Girl.

With superhero cinema getting more comedic and absurd, fans have been certain that Patrick “Eel” O’Brien would be perfect for his own comedy franchise. As the comic book community awaits what seems like an inevitable casting, it puts an added emphasis on owning these key issues.

POLICE COMICS #1

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjA0MjQ4N2QwLWE5MTQtNDdhMC04OWQzLThmZTdkNzVmNzc5OS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119-220x300 Is Plastic Man Next on James Gunn's 'Superman: Legacy' Casting List?

Another DC character with roots deep in the Golden Age, Eel O’Brien debuted way back in 1941. The former thief gained his powers when he was shot during a heist and was doused in a mystery chemical. When the substance reached his bloodstream, it gave his body an elastic quality, and the legend was born. 

It’s not often that copies of Police Comics #1 are sold online in any grade. When one goes up for auction, it’s an attention grabber. Last October, a 4.0 sold for $18,000. 

Then again, even without the associated movie hype if in fact there even is any, I've always considered Police Comics 1 to be rather under-appreciated and hence undervalued in the marketplace.  I will admit though that interest and the subsequent price point on this key book has stepped up quite a bit during the past couple of years, as evident by their example of a 4.0 graded copy selling for $18K last October when even the new guide this year has its condition guide value set at only $3,200.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/10/2023 at 12:13 PM, lou_fine said:

After the latest wave of Superman: Legacy casting announcements, there is growing speculation that Plastic Man is coming to the DCU. 

Based on Warner Brothers' recent abysmal track record, I think being in the DCU is a kiss of death these days.

On 8/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, thejudge01 said:

How long ago is "wasn't long ago"? I was getting 1.5-2.0x guide for Wonder Woman #1s in the 90s and that multiple seems to have held long before a movie was in the works.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:16 PM, tth2 said:
On 8/9/2023 at 9:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Based on Warner Brothers' recent abysmal track record, I think being in the DCU is a kiss of death these days.

Well, not only the DCU now as this abysmal track record seems to be spreading to the Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, if not all super-hero movies in general as their day in the sun appears to be finally be setting.  :(

If that turns out to be the case, definitely not a good time for all of the speculators who have bet the farm on the more recent and readily available in HG movie hype related books, although I am not sure if this will spread to the GA books since they seem to not have the same runup in prices when it comes to movie and TV related hype.  hm  (shrug)

On 8/10/2023 at 12:26 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, not only the DCU now as this abysmal track record seems to be spreading to the Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, if not all super-hero movies in general as their day in the sun appears to be finally be setting.  :(

If that turns out to be the case, definitely not a good time for all of the speculators who have bet the farm on the more recent and readily available in HG movie hype related books, although I am not sure if this will spread to the GA books since they seem to not have the same runup in prices when it comes to movie and TV related hype.  hm  (shrug)

All movie genres go through phases, according to film historian Christian Metz:

• Experimental Stage
  • Classical Stage
  • Parody Stage
  • Deconstruction Stage

I think that we've been in the parody stage for a while, but Marvel and D.C. are still attempting to make "classical" superhero movies, which people are starting to find boring or passé. Kick-Azzz, Shazam!, and Guardians of the Galaxy all had strong parody elements.

The deconstruction stage occurs when a genre merges with other genres, but I'm not sure how that would work with superhero movies (which already include crime, sci fi, and action elements). I guess you could have a superhero rom-com or a superhero musical.

These stages could probably start over again with a new generation, but only after a break of a decade or two, so I doubt that comic books will get the massive bumps during the next ten years that they've enjoyed over the past ten years. You may see fewer superhero movies during the coming years, or you may see a steady stream of lower-budget superhero movies. The studios will continue to try to tweak the formula in order to sustain interest, but they will struggle.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/11/2023 at 12:28 AM, tth2 said:

I loved it so much I wanted to selflessly share it with my fellow comic collectors.

I, for one, was moved to tears by this inspirational sacrifice. (worship)

On 8/11/2023 at 10:16 PM, adamstrange said:
On 8/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, tth2 said:

I loved it so much I wanted to selflessly share it with my fellow comic collectors.

I, for one, was moved to tears by this inspirational sacrifice. (worship)

And I, in turn, was so moved by your tears that I felt I had no choice but to selflessly share the rest of my Mystery Mens with my fellow comic collectors. :angel:

image.jpeg.a19c39eae6d090ce28a86777d7015ce2.jpeg

image.jpeg.e7df4450cb6f9a666bfd2c499603be58.jpeg

image.jpeg.d27e8d1a33764014aff93233ba0823e6.jpeg