• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the pursuit of nostalgia vs. living in the present
6 6

104 posts in this topic

Present day seems to be immersed with pop culture nostalgia from 10 to 30 years ago. e.g. Mission Impossible part 7(?), Star Trek: Strange New Worlds tv based on singular ST: the original series episodes rather than long story (Picard) arcs, Top Gun: Maverick released 3 decades after Top Gun 1, Fast and Furious part X, too many weekly variant covers or shiny chromium/nude comic covers each week a la 1991-93.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, AC Skywalker said:

Very interesting read.

I started my comic adventure in the early 90s as did a lot of others.  Collected for about 10 years then took a break.  That break lasted 20 years, only returning at the start of this year.

The landscape has changed dramatically.  One thing I find interesting when I watch comic videos or go to local cons, is that the people buying comics are my age or older.

Younger gen (I have a 13 yr old son) are all into online gaming, youtube, twitch etc.  I have a solid vintage video game and comic collection, and I often wonder as years go on will anyone care about this stuff?  Or will it be cyclical like so many other things in history and become popular again?

Nice to see everyone kind of thinking the same things.

Are 30 or 20 year olds buying comics?  If not, we should be figuring out when to sell when the last comic collecting generation dies off

I'm really conscious of stamps. I don't want what I collect to be the next stamps. Except for Transformers. I'm too into that to care. All that'd mean for me would be cheaper prices and a complete collection a lot sooner, albeit no new releases, no new media. So still horrible. 

It's stamps we have to beware of. 

On 8/7/2023 at 12:46 PM, WolverineX said:

Are 30 or 20 year olds buying comics?  If not, we should be figuring out when to sell when the last comic collecting generation dies off

The comic industry was teetering on death in the late 50s and the late 70s and it was a real wasteland in the late 90s. Like most things in life, it has its ebbs and flows.

Very interesting topic, I originally collected comics as a kid in the early 80s then again in the mid 90s. I only got back into them in 2021 when i started poking through my 2 totes of comics in the attic. I find now i'm only interested in the titles and charecters that i had originally collected and have been having a great time working on my books getting them graded keeping the ones that grade well and selling the others. As well as buying raw comics and doing the same with them. Other then some random books that came in lots I don't think i have hardly any books published later then say 1996 

On 8/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, factory sealed said:

Any thoughts on this in comparison to your era? For me personally a large distinction of what drives my own personal obsession for nostalgia was the very deep rooted connection we had with a specific character(s) that spanned many different product channels between the comics first but also really well made cartoons, non-trading cards, aisle and aisles of action figures at different toy stores that were stacked to the ceilings, brilliant cinema movies, and allot of younger folks forget but in the 70s and early 80s there were even several super hero prime timeTV shows i.e. Spider-man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk etc. 

So what I'm driving at is there were so many different platforms back in this time frame to consume incredible quality content. It was just everywhere. And obviously when Star Wars came out and then the early 80s cycle of super hero cartoons i.e. MOTU, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats etc. this just took everything to a whole different level.

Funny you mention Batman; before it was syndicated more broadly speaking so you could watch it week days after school in the early 80s, back in mid/late 70s it was only shown once a week and super early on Saturday mornings either 6AM or 7AM. Never missed an episode, Those cliffhangers were just simply awesome.

As a kid, comics wern’t “collected” as they are now. Just stuff we picked up off the drug store rack, read and enjoyed. All the kids in the neighborhood did it. Along with monster cards and the like. If you missed one, there was always creative trading with your friends. I did actively seek out MAD magazines. Trying to get them all. Hitting garage sales and used book stores. When you found a “ten center” it was a big deal and highly prized no matter what it was.

I watched Batman, The Munsters ect during prime time as it came out. But only if my dad wasn’t home. If it conflicted with Bonanza or Wagon Train, I was out of luck. My dad thought these shows were stupid and often remarked “in my day, monsters were scarey”. As an adult now, I would agree. He also would berate us when The Kinks or Rolling Stones came on Ed Sullivan.

As much as I have nostalgia for my childhood, even then I was seeking out the “old stuff”. A lot of my nostalgia comes from seeking it out. 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:38 AM, themagicrobot said:

In the 1960s I collected anything that was free or very cheap. Matchboxes, coins, stamps, comics. I used to cut out the comic strips from newspapers. I got into a routine of visiting relatives and neighbours for the Daily Mirror (for Garth and Andy Cap and the Perishers), the Daily Sketch (for Peanuts) and Evening papers for Modesty Blaze and many others. These were pasted into scrapbooks. Pre 1971 you could still get Victorian coins in your small change and it was relatively easy to get a collection of pennies from 1890 to 1967. I collected stamps because that was completely free. People still wrote letters. My mother worked in an office and they got parcels delivered with exotic £2 stamps. I had one of these albums and didn't think anything odd about what it was called. Now you can buy one of these on eBay full of stamps for peanuts. That desire to acquire stuff has been lost in the more recent generations. Most of my friends that are a decade younger than me pride themselves on their perfect minimalist living and are aghast at my heaps of boxes of comics and my shelves of books. My garage is full of stuff. They have knocked a wall between house and garage to extend the kitchen and utility room. Different generations have different priorities. As soon as I was old enough I wanted a bike/car. I know people now in their thirties that have never bothered or needed to take a driving test. Today you don't need to own a mountain of LPs to listen to your favourite music whenever you want to. Different strokes etc etc.

gayventure.thumb.jpg.00b98e95c1d29e6600b4abe2bb853fad.jpg

Yeah, and getting stuff out of cereal boxes as well as sending away for stuff.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:48 AM, Gonzimodo said:
On 8/7/2023 at 5:41 AM, lizards2 said:

...when I was a twelve year old Marvel zuvembie...

Nice.  (thumbsu

:insane:

On 8/7/2023 at 6:42 PM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, and getting stuff out of cereal boxes as well as sending away for stuff.

+1

Finding Doctor Who cards down the side of the Weetabix box was thrilling beyond measure :cloud9:

I guess we have to blame the Interweb for making everything available on demand and virtually free. If I didn't get the latest Superman comic when it appeared on the spinner rack I might never see another copy unless I was lucky a year or so later at the second-hand book stall. If I wasn't in front of the TV at 7.30pm on a Sunday for Batman I wouldn't get another chance until the following week. The scarcity of everything made them both important and valuable. Once you could download every Spider-Man comic or CD for free on the Pirate Bay the world shifted on its axis.

Edited by themagicrobot

That is the biggest difference between myself and many people here. As a child old comics were valued at half the price of new comics. Even when I first went to Comic Marts and had to pay a slight premium to get ND Marvels I still didn't see my collection as having a monetary value greater than its cost price. I still see things that way and may end up giving stuff away if I find someone deserving rather than selling it further down the line. My advice to the people with collections/individual comics that they think someone else will buy at top price today like a Ponzi scheme is SELL SELL SELL. When the world ends/Martians invade they won't care less about Incredible Hulk 181.

I'm pretty driven by nostalgia in my buying and collecting, but I also have a wife, kids, friends, job, and church to keep me busy and not wallowing in the past too much.  I definitely buy way more new stuff than I should, though. :whistle:

However, I'm getting to the point where I think I need to start selling off a lot of it.  It's kind of morbid, but I really don't want my wife and kids to have to deal with all this stuff when I'm gone.  I used to have grand designs of being a big hero and passing off an amazing collection of comics and toys to my appreciative kids when I go, but they don't seem to have any interest in any of it.  doh!