• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books for Young Girls
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I am introducing my grand nephews and nieces to comic book collecting, they are three years old. 

For the boys I got them both a copy of Amazing Spiderman #83 1st appearance of the Schemer, later revealed to be Richard Fisk, the son of Kingpin.  I figured it is a good entry level book at a FN+ grade bagged and slabbed for them to start off with. 

For the girls, I am looking at 
ARCHIE’S GIRLS: BETTY AND VERONICA but when I read some of the content pages am not 
sure these books are good for young girls even if they probably will not read them and they will be kept bagged and boarded
for later enjoyment. 

What other Titles would you suggest that have a "fun to grow my collection" factor built into them?

Aren't there more appropriate infant-style magazines than Archies which are really for teenagers?  In the UK for a 3 year old girl I would say My Little Pony. When they were 7 or 8 The Beano and when they were 13 The 17 issues of Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat. (The boys would like The Beano too!).

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/61041/patsy_walker_aka_hellcat_2015_17

PS: I will be babysitting a 5 year old boy on Thursday. He loves me to read him stories from old Rupert Annuals. There are 6 drawings per page with a few words beneath each picture. I read and he looks at the pictures.

mylittlepony.jpg.f46a333f711d3d362342ab521387a0cb.jpg

beano-cover-_minnie-web_.jpg.ea1c1552b47ad99b8c9cc0f32308fba5.jpg

patsy.thumb.jpg.ad48dfcc14ef6896e848645b0c2ab990.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 8/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

How about some of the Gold Keys - Pink Panther, Tom & Jerry. Or Little Dot, Audrey etc from Harvey?

LittleAudreyMelvin53(June1972)25c.thumb.jpg.b4d2113ed2efb40da42e48a6221db25a.jpgLittleDot145(September1972)15cVariantCopyB.thumb.jpg.4753788464c88adb13a68f42e24243c6.jpgLittleDotDotland53(June1972)15cVariant.thumb.jpg.7d23d8709bb389bd3bc867a8b2fa83fb.jpg

These are so cute, somewhat expensive though so not sure it is a good fit for a "let them grow the collection" type of scenario. But I did see a few raw books that looked interesting for starters. I may just buy a set of them and give one each year for their birthdays. 

On 8/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, aabruzzese said:

These are so cute, somewhat expensive though so not sure it is a good fit for a "let them grow the collection" type of scenario. But I did see a few raw books that looked interesting for starters. I may just buy a set of them and give one each year for their birthdays. 

I can see them appealing to 3 year olds, yes. Thinking further though, many include stories about Little Lotta which probably won't fit in with today's modern thinking. Maybe The Pink Panther would be a safer bet. 

On 8/8/2023 at 11:51 AM, themagicrobot said:

If we're talking old comics, rather than new ones what about these. I believe Marvel did these too.

muppetbabies.thumb.jpg.a21940efb52cdf6b42483ed92d654aaf.jpg

Wow, who knew. I will have to check that out. I just thought of the Smurfs too, I wonder if they have a cominc book series that would be collectible. 

On 8/8/2023 at 12:33 PM, Tons Of Style said:

What's the later enjoyment, selling them?

No, actually reading them at the age-appropriate level they are intended for.  I am looking at this where the books will be bagged - boarded for a while until when the girls will be able to read the content and not have it be a shock. or inappropriate.   The parents can help grow the collection with them and i can still contribute a key issue or two now and then. 

On 8/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, aabruzzese said:

No, actually reading them at the age-appropriate level they are intended for.  I am looking at this where the books will be bagged - boarded for a while until when the girls will be able to read the content and not have it be a shock. or inappropriate.   The parents can help grow the collection with them and i can still contribute a key issue or two now and then. 

So if the intent is for then to read them in the future when it's more age appropriate then why no Archie's?  Why not just have them pick the books they want?  

I think all this talk of Archies and bagged/boarded Spider-Mans is for a long way down the line if you are talking about three year olds? The UK is the place to get something they can enjoy. Get some inexpensive Dandy, Beano or Sparky Annuals. They have sturdy card covers and will survive a toddlers handling far better than flimsy comics. Plus they are a fun read for children aged between 5 and 95. Note that Sparky actually says "For Boys and Girls".

sparky.thumb.jpg.7959114c53303cef59759f71c7b5d7c1.jpg

On 8/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, Semicentennial said:

So if the intent is for then to read them in the future when it's more age appropriate then why no Archie's?  Why not just have them pick the books they want?  

They are not in a position to really chose a book from a collectible point of view; at that age I am probably going to get a few readers as well as the more valuable copies for later down the road.  

On 8/9/2023 at 5:12 AM, Tons Of Style said:

Is the OP British? ???

No, 

I am in Canada but that does not really matter.  It gets convaluted when you think of it like a "I give it to you now, but you will not really
know about it until later when you and the books have aged".  I want them to appreciate the collection on the long haul,  
and not just tear the books up without understanding.   

On 8/9/2023 at 7:54 AM, aabruzzese said:

I am in Canada but that does not really matter.   I want them to appreciate the collection on the long haul,  

Recommend for young girls the BC/YT award winning 2 graphic novels 'Paws' written and drawn by supreme colorist msassy from Image Comics and in Vancouver, BC. She has a young daughter so stories are about a girl team of pet baby-sittters, cute dogs, etc. Probably edited by her husband also a DC and independent press colorist.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:50 AM, aabruzzese said:

They are not in a position to really chose a book from a collectible point of view; at that age I am probably going to get a few readers as well as the more valuable copies for later down the road.  

Well, at three, I don't think anyone expects them to chose any book from a collectible point of view.  I still have some books that I picked up when I was much younger and they turned out pretty decent books.  One was ASM #122 and the other was Batman #291.  Sure, I have a few stinkers in there, but they are books that I still cherish.  Part of the fun about comic books when you're a kid is leafing through the book, looking at the cool pictures and then letting your mind run wild with imagination. 

There is no fun is handing them a slab when they won't be able to enjoy it.  It's like handing a kid the newest video game, but encased in plastic with a grade and being told how cool it is, but they can't open it.  You may think it's cool, but three year old's just want to play the game.

Edited by Semicentennial

On 8/9/2023 at 7:54 AM, aabruzzese said:

No, 

I am in Canada but that does not really matter.  It gets convaluted when you think of it like a "I give it to you now, but you will not really
know about it until later when you and the books have aged".  I want them to appreciate the collection on the long haul,  

Not understanding what?  A three year old will do three year old things.  Expecting them to treat things with care is unrealistic.  You should probably focus less on having them appreciate collecting comics books at this age and maybe think about revisiting it when they're a little older like when they're 10 or 11 years old.