• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers Aren’t Your Friends…!
9 9

256 posts in this topic

Yes, this is the same youtuber who filmed himself getting kicked out of a shop for trying to sell books to other customers.

He shows a brief run-in with Bob Storms in his Heroes Con video. He felt insulted because Bob would not show him a book.

I would not want to be friends with some of the dealers I met at cons during the 1980s and 1990s because, well, some were, I'll write, slightly less than Mr. Clean. In fact, I recall one dealer at the, was it called at that time, Miami-Con, asking me, his exact words, "How can you get close to that guy?" I responded that I could hold my breath for long periods of time. :wink: I actually breathed through my mouth as much as I could.

Granted, those dealers very likely did not want to be my friends, probably thinking "This is the biggest nerd in here!" lol 

I took a friend of mine to a comic convention in Chicago.  I think it was still called Wizard World at that time.  While my friend wasn't really into comics, he did love himself some Transformers.  And I told him he might find something. 

Well, we get there and he finds this uber cool Optimus Prime statue.  No price tag.  So I told him to ask the dealer about it.  He did and this dealer couldn't have been more rude to him.  Totally condescending and patronizing.  My friend got pretty upset and yelled at him, "If you don't want to sell it then why did you even put it out?" and walked away.  My friend then came back to me and said, "NEVER bring me to one of these things again."  :facepalm:

Not much new information in his video.  Setting up at Cons is tough work and dealers are out to make money after investing cash into comics and time into setting up - shocking!  Dealers bump up prices to account for everyone wanting a deal - absolutely crazy!  Dealers are not your friends any more then you are their friends just because they sell you books - crazy talk! 

I just got my oil changed and I really don't think the guy that was talking to me while he did the oil change may not be my friend and was just being nice while he sold me a service - now I'm pissed!

Edited by 1Cool

I love when people create “Well…DUH!” content and it’s like people are shocked to learn water is wet. Dealers at cons are there to take advantage of impulse buyers and filthy casuals who don’t know any better. If you’re an experienced con-ner or collector, you figured this out after your first con or two.

If not, the handwritten “Don’t quote GPA to me” signs on their booths should be your first tip off 

On 8/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, Mystafo said:

Ah, you're one of those who prefer tasting the particulates!  I kid, I kid. :foryou:

Ha!

Thankfully, the dealer was about 6 feet behind his table. Regardless, one could still smell him. A nice gentleman that I recall but, apparently, (edit) adverse (the Miami-con was adverse to success as it was held in a different venue every year that I went. At some point I lost track of it. I don't know if it became the Florida Supercon) to regular bathing.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 8/10/2023 at 12:28 PM, Cman429 said:

If not, the handwritten “Don’t quote GPA to me” signs on their booths should be your first tip off 

I haven't seen that before.

I understand that mentality for infrequently sold rare items, but if you don't want to hear GPA on a Silver Age Marvel that trades 20 times a month you are likely an overpriced museum that I can skip right over. 

Edited by october

On 8/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, october said:

I haven't see that before.

I understand that mentality for infrequently sold rare items, but if you don't want to hear GPA on a Silver Age Marvel that trades 20 times a month you are likely an overpriced museum that I can skip right over. 

You also probably shouldn't be in this business... (thumbsu