• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers Aren’t Your Friends…!
9 9

256 posts in this topic

Pretty general info and very one-sided towards the buyer (better "thumbs up" ratings that way).  As others have pointed out, he doesn't take into account the legwork a dealer has to do to get the book, the immediate out-of-pocket expense that he's invested in that book (and hundreds of others), con fees, possible hotel/travel expenses, etc.  There's also having to listen to buyers tear down your wares for a better price as, strangely enough, customers might not be too friendly either and look to beat down the prices as much as possible.  And I'm a buyer, not a dealer.  

I've only been to small/medium cons and it's great to see some HTF books in hand.  I'll try to put a few together, make an offer and hope for the best, but I'm not going to whine about it if it's not accepted.  Everyone has their costs so I'll move on.  If it is accepted then great.  Maybe there's an ensuing chat about what I collect and if he can be on the lookout for certain books, but I've never thought there's anything else to it and whether he can give me a better price just because I say hello to him all the time or there's any other close ties ("C'mon Fred, give me a break here... I'm sleeping with your sister!").

price GUIDES aren't useless. They guide you on what people were paying for a book last year. I want one that tells me what people will pay next year, but no one has perfected that. 

George tracks what a segment of the market has been paying for books. It's useful but not scripture.  If I walked into a store and the counter guy told me he had to check GPA before selling me his stock, I'd walk out.  I'd also not tell a dealer that someone somewhere bought this same book cheaper three months ago. 

I honestly don't care if a dealer used GPA or rolls Bones to determine his prices.  If a book is priced too high, I'll make what I consider a fair price.  It can be accepted, rejected, or a counter-offer can be made.  Telling a dealer his book is overpriced is not a good way to negotiate, IMO.

Other opinions may vary. 

On 8/10/2023 at 2:57 PM, october said:

I've successfully been "in this business" for 15 years. I'm the guy that sells at reasonable price levels, you must be that other guy. Good luck with the museum. 

There's a lot of room between refusing to listen to GPA sales and a slavish devotion to it.

That wasn't directed at you... it was directed at the hypothetical seller with the sign... 

On 8/10/2023 at 3:18 PM, october said:

Ah. Sorry. I misinterpreted! :boo:

No worries... I could have been clearer now that I'm re-reading it.  I'm actually agreeing with you.  If a dealer doesn't have the patience to listen to a potential buyer quoting GPA, then they probably ought to do something else for a living.

Wait, are you telling me that when I go to a con looking for comics, the people who have set up booths to sell comics will actually try to sell me comics? They might be friendly to me and say things like "are you looking for anything specific?" or "those books are 30% off." That's just crazy! 

When I'm at a con, I expect prices to be a little high. I look at it as I'm supporting the continued presence of dealers and comic conventions in general. It only takes one walkthrough to realize which dealers are sellers motivated to move product, and which would rather sell less books at higher markup. After a few years, I might even start to remember which are which!. I generally don't make offers, but gladly accept them with a sincere thank you! That said, I am that guy (old school), with his handwritten buy list on a piece of paper, and current GPA written down across a spread of grades. I generally like to make a little weekend vacation of it, so I understand that they have expenses like gas, hotel rooms and meals.

Also some con dealers don't overprice, they overgrade the old-fashioned way! I prefer slightly more accurate grading with maybe a 10-15% markup. If I get a deal on a stack, BONUS!

It’s possible.

I’m terrible at compartmentalisation and reading people, so as a safety mechanism it’s not something I let myself get too bothered about nowadays.

I volunteered with the guy at the local comic shop I like to help him set up and man his booth at a con. I wanted to see first hand what is was like. 

It was labor intensive moving in. It was annoying and exhausting talking to 75% of the mentally challenged that came up to strike a conversation with me behind the counter and not but anything

I respect most dealers at cons, severely. The others I stay away from. 

wonder if this You Tube   r e t a r d  had ever done one day of manual labor in his life. 

Edited by NoMan

On 8/11/2023 at 5:02 AM, shadroch said:

If you want a friend, get a dog.

Good suggestion.

For an experience that provides the best of both worlds, a friendly companion that’s also a mammalian apex predator, I personally like cats.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/10/2023 at 11:02 PM, shadroch said:

If you want a friend, get a dog.

If you want an accurately graded book at a fair price- see Bob Storms.

He talked to Bob Storms at Heroes Comic Con (video queued up below).....and apparently Bob could tell immediately. lol

Also....where is this guys video for dealers letting them know that customers aren't their friends?

At the 13:17 mark in this same video.....he pulls a Saga #1 in CGC 9.8 and says it's a $500 book all day long. 

The dealer has it priced at $350.  So, what does he do?  He offers the dealer even less ($300), and ends up buying it for that.