• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk has passed.
13 13

188 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, adamstrange said:

To my knowledge, Jon only bought a few slabbed books.  By the time CGC was a thing, he had stopped acquiring comics and was only collecting original art.

Jon gave his raw collection to Metropolis who handled all aspects of prepping them for auction, including decisions of slabbing/not-slabbing.

I think most of the GA was slabbed. They knew people would pay a little more if they had that “from the collection of…” on the label. I know I did. I lost out on most of what I bid on but really happy on the few I did get. 

On 8/14/2023 at 7:07 PM, Mmehdy said:

I had read that John kept a few books when he sold his collection, I think he posted about that on the boards. So he did keep some material with him to end. Can anyone confirm that. John is a collector they just do not make anymore.

I seem to recall reading that too, Mitch.  Was it some of his Centaurs perhaps?

On 8/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, Mmehdy said:

I had read that John kept a few books when he sold his collection, I think he posted about that on the boards. So he did keep some material with him to end. Can anyone confirm that. John is a collector they just do not make anymore.

On 8/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

I seem to recall reading that too, Mitch.  Was it some of his Centaurs perhaps?

..I had heard one of the items was his copy of Our Flag Comics #5? I think he posted it raw in the Ace thread a ways back, but it wasn't in the CC auction.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, Robot Man said:

I think most of the GA was slabbed. They knew people would pay a little more if they had that “from the collection of…” on the label. I know I did. I lost out on most of what I bid on but really happy on the few I did get. 

I had my copy cracked out, regraded and re-encapsulated because the CGC label failed to carry any art attributions (see below, in spoiler). Since I wasn't fond of this label redesign going with the local guys was an easy choice; it also received a modest .5 bump, which wasn't expected, but appreciated. The book looks much better than 8.0; I'm giving CGC big props for conservative grading here which is intended as a compliment to Matt and his crew. The one designation on the new label which transferred almost verbatim from the one below was the addition of one word: FROM THE PERSONAL COLLECTION OF JON BERK...

Spoiler

Image8-14-23at2_49PM.jpeg.b6c5134f2a2d5d46125b13333f99fa53.jpeg

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale, cheers!

On 8/15/2023 at 2:07 AM, Mmehdy said:

Can we show the man a little respect by at least writing his name correctly?  It's only 3 letters long, for god's sake.

On 8/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, sagii said:

..I had heard one of the items was his copy of Our Flag Comics #5? I think he posted it raw in the Ace thread a ways back, but it wasn't in the CC auction.

He had some of the most rare books in his collection some he didn't part with i wonder if the family will do so 

Edited by comicjack

On 8/13/2023 at 12:40 AM, Gotham Kid said:

That is terrible news :frown:

Haven't been on the boards for a few days now, but this is definitely sad news to hear and a terrible loss to our comic book hobby place.  :cry:

Sincere condolences to his family and may he rest in peace in that big comic shop in the sky.  :(

On 8/15/2023 at 8:53 AM, Johnny545 said:

I picked up just one book when his collection auctioned (in a fit of insanity I eventually sold it).

I wish I had gotten to know him.  Very sorry to hear this news. 

5ROQ1Cl.jpg?1

Wow! We have all sold books and been sorry afterwards. Sad part, is the money is re-spent and you now longer have the book or the money…:sorry:

I’m pretty much a keeper. So other than the fact that a book has gone up way more than you sold it for, I hate to regret owning it once and knowing I will never have it again.