• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How come Mark Jewelry inserts are a thing?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Not Mark Jewelry but Mark Jeweler.  They were one of the early variants.  They targeted military personnel with low-cost Jewelry and twice-monthly payment plans to coincide with their military paychecks.   The inserts were primarily put into books that were distributed on military bases.  Meaning that their survival rates were low, and their history was intriguing.   

I seem to remember reading in one of the Overstreet guides (way back when I was still a teenager) that collectors liked them because the inserts supported the book and kept them in better shape. I know that when I was buying them, they were not displayed in comic racks but rather on magazine racks. So, they usually wouldn't have that top staple crease that the comic racks gave them. Somehow the focus shifted to rarity. I don't get the interest myself.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:56 PM, Nick Furious said:

Not Mark Jewelry but Mark Jeweler.  They were one of the early variants.  They targeted military personnel with low-cost Jewelry and twice-monthly payment plans to coincide with their military paychecks.   The inserts were primarily put into books that were distributed on military bases.  Meaning that their survival rates were low, and their history was intriguing.   

Ok, cool. I get it. Thank you.

I don't get it either. But I guess some people just like collecting whatever odd variations of common comics they can find. I watch a lot of IG streams and you always see people asking for Mark Jewelers or Pence copies or CPVs or any other slight little deviation that makes a regular ordinary - often easily found - book into a "rare variation."

On 8/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, Cman429 said:

I don't get it either. But I guess some people just like collecting whatever odd variations of common comics they can find. I watch a lot of IG streams and you always see people asking for Mark Jewelers or Pence copies or CPVs or any other slight little deviation that makes a regular ordinary - often easily found - book into a "rare variation."

I've come to appreciate the ones I have as souvenirs of my time in the Army, but I have no desire to seek out and collect any more of them.  Some people are just wired to collect things like that.  I'm not.  In modern parlance, I'm generally a "Cover A" kind of guy.  (shrug)

I’ll be “that guy” and add in the fact that before Mark Jewellers there were National Diamond inserts. Essentially the same thing just with a different name (and women’s lingerie) also added alongside the ring adverts in the middle of the book. I forget off the top of my head by these ran for about a year I believe in 1971 or 1972…

After that they were Mark Jewellers inserts and those can be found in books all the way to the early 90s

Edited by comicginger1789

On 8/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, Cman429 said:

It's cool to run into them unless maybe you were near a military base and see tons of them. I have like 10,000+ bronze age books (ok, that's just a guess) and I don't think I have more than 20 of these. I know they're not that rare, but I dunno, it's cool, like finding a silver quarter or dime in your change.

I grew up in about 20 min from Grissom Air Force Base in Kokomo Indiana. I never bought comics on the base, but in local shops in surrounding towns. I have a very modest collection, but a lot of the news stand issues I have from my childhood are Mark Jeweler; except my ASM 300 and NM 98 of course!  They were not a thing back then, but it makes me wonder how many MJs I brushed by flipping through long boxes in grade school and Jr High.