• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The White Rose collection 2003. Heritage auction
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2023 at 5:10 AM, action1kid said:

Don’t know why pictures are not uploading.

Well, once you do get it working again, can you show the listing description for the Funny Pages V2 #10 as I've always loved that book and a real toughie to find in the marketplace?  (thumbsu

On 8/23/2023 at 8:32 AM, tth2 said:
On 8/23/2023 at 8:20 AM, JollyComics said:

The most recent CGC census has no other copy graded higher. Overstreet 2002 FN 6.0 value = $24,640.

You can see 3 copies graded higher in the image of the census that you posted. ???

Are we all seeing something different here because I see 8 copies (i.e. 2 Universal and 6 Restored) that grade higher than this CGC 7.0 graded restored White Rose copy of AA 16 in this image here:  lol

ScreenShot2023-08-23at10_12_53AM.png.e333dcff17bee25de81f967e2e37a365.png

On 8/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, tth2 said:

You can see 3 copies graded higher in the image of the census that you posted. ???

Yes, back in 2002, they thought 5.5 was the highest. Ever since, 15 more copies showed up on the census. 3 new copies are highest included Billy Wright Pedigree copy in 2015.

I read that article in White Rose collection book. It’s dated in 2002. 

Edited by JollyComics

On 8/23/2023 at 1:51 PM, JollyComics said:

Yes, back in 2002, they thought 5.5 was the highest. Ever since, 15 more copies showed up on the census. 3 new copies are highest included Billy Wright Pedigree copy in 2015.

I read that article in White Rose collection book. It’s dated in 2002. 

That blurb was somewhat disingenuous. CGC was still fairly new in 2002, and the foks running HA's comic auctions back then had to have known that there were many nice raw copies out there. The eBay sellers are still doing the same thing: slabbing $5 comics that most people wouldn't even bother to bag and board and touting them as "single-highest-graded" copies. I always take advertising with a large chunk of salt.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/23/2023 at 3:31 PM, goldust40 said:

Ah, twenty years ago, when prices seemed outrageously high but are now more than restrained compared to today's insanity. That was quite a collection for Heritage to begin their path to market dominance. Nice memory.

That was an early auction, but they had already made a splash with the Nick Cage auction in October of 2002. (I still have that catalog, but it's low grade at this point. xD)

On 8/24/2023 at 1:10 AM, lou_fine said:
On 8/23/2023 at 11:32 PM, tth2 said:
On 8/23/2023 at 11:20 PM, JollyComics said:

The most recent CGC census has no other copy graded higher. Overstreet 2002 FN 6.0 value = $24,640.

Are we all seeing something different here because I see 8 copies (i.e. 2 Universal and 6 Restored) that grade higher than this CGC 7.0 graded restored White Rose copy of AA 16 in this image here:  lol

You're right, for some reason I had it in my head that the White Rose was 6.5, but it is in fact 7.0.  So there are indeed 2 universal copies with a higher grade.  I also overlooked that it was a PLOD, so yes, there are also those other higher graded PLODs.  

On 8/24/2023 at 3:31 AM, goldust40 said:

Ah, twenty years ago, when prices seemed outrageously high but are now more than restrained compared to today's insanity. That was quite a collection for Heritage to begin their path to market dominance. Nice memory.

I remember being disappointed by the White Rose collection because of the lack of books in 9.4 or above. 

On 8/24/2023 at 12:32 AM, tth2 said:

I remember being disappointed by the White Rose collection because of the lack of books in 9.4 or above. 

I have always been deeply disappointed in Timely and the citizens of the USA in failing to save and properly store near mint copies of their comics.