• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NJ Comic Art Con This Sunday, Who’s Going?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Checking in with the board to see who all is going this year to the show? It’s appears it’s back in Hasbrouck Heights at the Holiday Inn again. I think I’ve been to every one over the last 7 years probably going again this year.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:45 AM, Xatari said:

Top 10 cover?  Do tell!

Joe Quesada Sword of Azrael 4. It’s weird I know but after all these years I have a top 10 list of book art all between 1983-1994, yet they aren’t all normal tops. SoA is completely burned into my memory. The way Joe drew musculature and the overall environment was so different from anything I had ever read, the square angular stylized design, it was so powerful it changed how I responded to art. Frank Miller started it for me, he brought a sense of almost mechanical violence to all the characters and worlds he created, but it was a rough asymmetrical world that at times took me out of the experience. In SoA Quesada brought the Brutal but he married it with slick design and symmetry that was more pleasing to the eye (at least for me) that I was instantly hooked. Mignola and Tony Harris had similar design senses and I really responded to it. All of the cover and poster art (beside 3) do it for me from that series. Any of them are one entry in top 10 wants for me. I have my favorite image from the series already, the Az character DPS, so the itch is scratched but a cover too would be nice.