• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You Unexpectedly Find a Grail or Other Book You've Always Wanted in a Shop
3 3

97 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2023 at 9:30 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I have a nice selection of shops in my area that carry back issues, so it's not entirely unexpected to find things. Here's a few items I picked up that were no-brainer buys; I walked in and knew I'd be walking out with them.

CA78.jpg

I'm sure we'd all prefer comics without damage (such as holes in the cover), but it's always a nice consolation when the damaged areas actually match the action pretty well.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:07 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I am an old guy and before eBay and the internet, surprises is all there was, LCS's, local shows, those key, highly sought after books (not necessarily due to $ value) or those I need a copy to fill a hole books were always a surprise when you made your trip to the LCS. Between 1989 and 2002 I used to travel to the 5-6 LCS's in my area once a month to see what "new treasures" may have arrived. The internet played a big role in folks no longer participating in the "Thrill Of The Hunt" although some still do and some find still find those surprises.

We are in the Age of the "Couch Potato Collector". It's going to be available within 15 minutes via the internet or a few phone calls.  We constantly get calls at the shop "to go look for....". Most of the time it's the hot book of the week/ key collector back issue of the week/ Omnibus/hardcover that just sold for big $$ on ebay. I would love to go back to the days of Comic Shops and Conventions and having to dig.  That's what made the hobby fun. 

On 8/24/2023 at 2:44 PM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

We are in the Age of the "Couch Potato Collector". It's going to be available within 15 minutes via the internet or a few phone calls.  We constantly get calls at the shop "to go look for....". Most of the time it's the hot book of the week/ key collector back issue of the week/ Omnibus/hardcover that just sold for big $$ on ebay. I would love to go back to the days of Comic Shops and Conventions and having to dig.  That's what made the hobby fun. 

What's your phone number, I need to call you (after I get done looking at what just sold on ebay for some serious $$$$$$$$$$)? :wink: I'll wait on the couch for your reply! :baiting:

Edited by Jaylam

On 8/24/2023 at 6:49 AM, Robot Man said:

I bought IH 181 off the racks when it came out. Read it and put it away. I recently tried to read a reprint. It was pretty terrible. I know the significance but just can’t imagine paying a couple of grand now days for a very common and sub par book. So many more truly great and scarcer books to spend that money on…(shrug)

But are they better investments?  For many, that is a significant factor. 

On 8/24/2023 at 11:07 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I am an old guy and before eBay and the internet, surprises is all there was, LCS's, local shows, those key, highly sought after books (not necessarily due to $ value) or those I need a copy to fill a hole books were always a surprise when you made your trip to the LCS. Between 1989 and 2002 I used to travel to the 5-6 LCS's in my area once a month to see what "new treasures" may have arrived. The internet played a big role in folks no longer participating in the "Thrill Of The Hunt" although some still do and some find still find those surprises.

That's such a huge part of the fun, I agree. The "thrill of the hunt." I'll admit that if I'm really wanting to finish a storyline that I'm missing issues for, then ordering online is convenient and, well, available. But there's nothing like walking into a store and searching through bins and finding a book you want.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, shadroch said:

But are they better investments?  For many, that is a significant factor. 

I have rarely bought comics for an “investment”. An investment to me is real estate, or blue chip stocks. Has worked out very well for me. 

I bought my IH 181 off the racks for a quarter. Bought it to read, took care of it and put it away with out much thought of any further value. Yes, it turned out, as much of my collection has, also turned into a substantial financial windfall if and when I decide to part with them. 

It's been a lot of years since I found big books hiding in long boxes at the LCS, but I do recall finding a NYX #3 and a month later a Invincible #1 that both came back as 9.8s - I picked up for $8 each. I likely found these the day they got put into backstock and that OSPG had not caught up to the market value of the books, which is why they were $8 (FMV were $400 and $1200 respectively). It was great - I still peruse for gems like that, but it's not likely it'll happen again.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:29 AM, Robot Man said:

I have rarely bought comics for an “investment”. An investment to me is real estate, or blue chip stocks. Has worked out very well for me. 

I bought my IH 181 off the racks for a quarter. Bought it to read, took care of it and put it away with out much thought of any further value. Yes, it turned out, as much of my collection has, also turned into a substantial financial windfall if and when I decide to part with them. 

Apples and oranges. Buying a comic for a quarter that fifty years later is worth $10,000 isn't an investment. It's dumb luck.  Buying that book today for $10,000 is an investment.

No one is paying $500,000 to buy a book for a character's appearance. They are only willing to pay 500K because they think it will be worth more.

I am more than happy to be a victim of “dumb luck”. The difference is, I have had the foresight to hang on to all my “lucky” purchases instead of throwing them out for a quick flip. That isn’t being lucky.

And if one has half a million to invest. There are far better investments to be made than funny books. Buying a common book like IH 181 today for $10K is just foolish…

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/25/2023 at 8:33 AM, zzutak said:

One day in the summer of 1963, my mom dropped me off at our town barbershop to get a haircut.  While I was waiting for my turn in the chair, I spotted a well-read copy of JLA #16 on his table of comics/magazines.  It was an issue I had missed when it first came out (my mom only allowed us to buy comics when school was out for the summer).  When the barber was done with me, I asked him if I could buy the comic.  He said I could just have it.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :banana:

The craziest thing is that I still remember this day some 60 years later.  :luhv:

JLA-16.thumb.jpg.52cae0eb8ac263924cd6b2cd2e63ec5c.jpg

I remember my barber as a kid having comics for kids to read but they were a lot older. A distinctly remember a couple late ‘40’s FH. I made a deal to trade him 2 of my new ones for one of his old ones when I came it. I had to blow the hair out of them though…:roflmao:

On 8/25/2023 at 7:43 AM, Dr. Balls said:

It's been a lot of years since I found big books hiding in long boxes at the LCS, but I do recall finding a NYX #3 and a month later a Invincible #1 that both came back as 9.8s - I picked up for $8 each. I likely found these the day they got put into backstock and that OSPG had not caught up to the market value of the books, which is why they were $8 (FMV were $400 and $1200 respectively). It was great - I still peruse for gems like that, but it's not likely it'll happen again.

Same - been many years, probably around 10 years if I had to guess. Once the comic MCU boom took off it seemed that the hidden gems in LCS’s were all gobbled up and on a wall with a massive sticker price. I know some people still find these but it’s undeniably a much different time and it’s become much harder. The last one I remember finding in the wild was a full run of Secret Wars 1-12, including 8 probably about 10 years ago now. Every issue was just in a long box at my LCS for $5 each, actually multiples of most issues. But this used to be a regular thing back then, go to a few LCS’ on a Sunday afternoon and find something on this level. Not necessarily anything insane, but a couple really good deals like that. It was certainly a more “fun” collecting experience than bidding online and just paying the going rate for every single book.