• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You Unexpectedly Find a Grail or Other Book You've Always Wanted in a Shop
3 3

97 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2023 at 11:04 AM, KCOComics said:

. have it graded, submit it for auction and give her the money minus only my cost, if I like pie wanted. 

First time I've seen that particular filter trap up a legitimate comment, lmao. 

On 8/28/2023 at 4:04 AM, KCOComics said:

To tell a quick story - I had a coworker who discovered her father's old comics after he passed. She responded to a Craigslist Ad of someone who wanted to buy comics. He came over and offered her $50 for some old beat up GA comics. But something felt off, so she declined. Then he offered her $200... After a few weeks of silence he followed up and offered her $1,000.  

I hope that guy felt at least little bit of ashamed by himself. First offer 50$ then later 1000$ :D 

On 8/27/2023 at 10:09 PM, godzilla43 said:

I hope that guy felt at least little bit of ashamed by himself. First offer 50$ then later 1000$ :D 

He'd have been pretty happy if she'd taken the first offer.

On 8/27/2023 at 5:08 PM, Robot Man said:

There is a fine line between “honesty” and stupidly.

I have had many opportunities to by collections of comics and other collectibles. The owner asked me what the value was. I worked for in some times many hours to give them an accurate appraisal and made them a fair offer only to be turned down. The seller just uses it as a starting point to the next buyer. Is my time and expertise worth nothing? Of course not. There are many actual appraisers who actually charge for their time and education.

Does it always pay to be “forth coming”? I once bought a very valuble sports photograph from a local flea market seller for a very inexpensive price. I knew what it was and he obviously didn’t nor did he seem to care. I sent it to auction and it sold for huge money. I saw the seller a few months later and handed him $500. cash. He was blown away and asked me why. I just told him I had purchased something from him that did real well at auction. He asked me what it was and what I got for it. I refused to answer and just told him to enjoy his windfall. The result? Now he won’t sell to me. So much for “honesty”…

Some times it does pay off. There are several dealers and estate sale owners who give me first shot at stuff because they know and trust me. They know I will be fair and pay accordingly in cash. We have a good relationship.

At a show dealing with a total stranger, I will either just pay their asking price or make a counter offer if we are close. Zero guilt on my part no matter what the item or value.

I have been doing this for 50 years. Great deals are fewer and fewer these days. For every home run there are 50 strikeouts.

Reminds me of the story you once told about finding a coverless Bat 1 in an antique store and the seller said "3" you initially thought he wanted 300 but the you quickly realized he meant 3 Dollars...(iirc).

Edited by GermanFan

First offer 50$ then later 1000$

What a stupid move. 1000 red flags going up immediately. He guaranteed the failure of the deal. He should have laid $500 cash on the table right in front of her, then maybe going up to $ 1000 in some steps, nearly crying for the loss of his money.

Edited by GermanFan

A friend of my father was a very knowledgable coin collector in the 70s. Once he got a call from a seller and went to his house to look at the coins. He bought some coins among them an old german coin he never had seen before. He got it for a song and later sold it at auction for huge money, half the value of a house in germany to that time. The seller was so suspicious he had a revolver laying on the table when they negotiated the deal.

I used to do a lot of business with an auction house in Vegas. They'd occasionally get some cards and comics but it wasn't their specialty. As I'd buy a lot of it, I became their go-to guy for questions about them. One day I saw a long box and was surprised it contained a full run of the Hulk from 102 to the modern day.  The House had pulled 102,180-182 and 143 but would sell the rest as a run. I found an NM #271 and explained they should sell it separately.  It brought in an extra $100 for the guy's books.  A week or so goes by and I was there inspecting stuff for the next auction when this man comes over and introduced himself.  The Hulks were his son's books; he passed away in middle age.  He'd been hoping to get something for the books- $50-$100 and got almost $1500.  I thought he could use the money and he thought I'd pulled all the books that sold separately.  He'd never heard of Wolverine and couldn't believe I'd been able to get him so much money for kiddie books. He really just wanted someone to talk to about his son, so I suggested he get a dog.

My days of flipping through piles/boxes at the lcs have long gone and I don’t really use the term “grail” but I’ve had some luck finding key books in online sales of comic lots that had enough pics to spot the standout books including  an FF49 and a gold key Johnny quest #1

Edited by B2D327

On 8/28/2023 at 11:57 PM, shadroch said:

I used to do a lot of business with an auction house in Vegas. They'd occasionally get some cards and comics but it wasn't their specialty. As I'd buy a lot of it, I became their go-to guy for questions about them. One day I saw a long box and was surprised it contained a full run of the Hulk from 102 to the modern day.  The House had pulled 102,180-182 and 143 but would sell the rest as a run. I found an NM #271 and explained they should sell it separately.  It brought in an extra $100 for the guy's books.  A week or so goes by and I was there inspecting stuff for the next auction when this man comes over and introduced himself.  The Hulks were his son's books; he passed away in middle age.  He'd been hoping to get something for the books- $50-$100 and got almost $1500.  I thought he could use the money and he thought I'd pulled all the books that sold separately.  He'd never heard of Wolverine and couldn't believe I'd been able to get him so much money for kiddie books. He really just wanted someone to talk to about his son, so I suggested he get a dog.

You may want to reword that last sentence... 

On 8/28/2023 at 5:02 AM, GermanFan said:

Reminds me of the story you once told about finding a coverless Bat 1 in an antique store and the seller said "3" you initially thought he wanted 300 but the you quickly realized he meant 3 Dollars...(iirc).

Close but not exactly. At the risk of being jumped and sent to Hell, I won’t repeat the story here. 

I always thought it was a staple/feature of the hobby and a dream of collectors to find ridiculously underpriced items and bask in the warm glow of their unbelievable luck, but apparently that now means you're a selfish, evil person or something.  (shrug)

Don't get me wrong, I understand how people can and will take advantage of ignorant widows and orphans and whatnot, but finding something like that in an antique store or comic store is one of the unique thrills of the hobby.

Besides, I hear that dealers aren't your friends, right...? :baiting:

On 8/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, Robot Man said:

I am more than happy to be a victim of “dumb luck”. The difference is, I have had the foresight to hang on to all my “lucky” purchases instead of throwing them out for a quick flip. That isn’t being lucky.

And if one has half a million to invest. There are far better investments to be made than funny books. Buying a common book like IH 181 today for $10K is just foolish…

I'm not too sure about that.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, october said:

I said routinely expected to give away their expertise for free. Plenty of the above give their time and knowledge away of their own volition and that's great, but do they get the same raft of s&%t as collectible dealers if they don't do it constantly? Is a doctor a crook if he sends a bill? Is lawyer a scumbag if he doesn't do all pro bono work? I help people all the time with comic questions and expect nothing in return, but using that same knowledge to generate a payday is scummy if the profit is "too much". I just don't buy it.

The store's job is to price it, the buyer's job is to buy it. The end. If this was a person at a garage sale who got a box of comics from the basement because you asked, or someone coming to you for pricing advice, that would be different, but this was a store whose literal job is to price antiques. If they shouldn't know better, who should? Why does their responsibility, their job, and the burden of their work transfer to the buyer? I don't hear that standard, that expectation, anywhere else. 

This is very accurate.

Stuff is everywhere and I know more about said stuff than 99.99% of stores in the world. I know what the FMV value of it is, and I know what my profit margin and spread requirements are. If a store is selling something far below FMV, that's not my problem, that's theirs. I will happily buy it and make my profit margin and spread thank you very much. Don't rip off an uniformed seller. A store is not an uniformed seller.

On 8/28/2023 at 10:39 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I always thought it was a staple/feature of the hobby and a dream of collectors to find ridiculously underpriced items and bask in the warm glow of their unbelievable luck, but apparently that now means you're a selfish, evil person or something.

I'm all for finding deals, but not turning those deals into an even bigger deal by marrying the cover in hopes of getting a universal label, getting fmv of a complete ASM #1, for an incomplete book, after it was misplaced by someone trying to facilitate a Stan Lee signature, or even having the book encapsulated by CGC with incorrect infromation regarding the condition of the book and having no urge to send it back to them to correct the issue. It sounds like the owner of the ASM has been on the board for awhile and you're just refraining from any criticism because of this. Any other time restoration or things of this nature aren't disclosed it's a huge deal and everyone is on the same page. I know in this case, he's only revealed an intention to capitalize off of a married book rather than actually doing it, but looking at his post as a whole, he comes across as someone that I don't care to interact with or do business with.  I don't consider being against these things to be on a high horse. It's a bit ridiculous that so many people here are getting on the case of those of us that are against the idea of profiting at someone else's expense by not disclosing substantial flaws with a book. 

If somehow you bs your way through all of this and still think I'm on my high horse, how do you explain the fact that he still hasn't resubmitted the book to CGC to have the error of the missing wraps corrected?  CGC would likely still do this at their expense. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 8/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, Flanders82 said:

It's a bit ridiculous that so many people here are getting on the case of those of us that are against the idea of profiting at someone else's expense by not disclosing substantial flaws with a book. 

No one, zero people, are arguing that. Marrying, incomplete interiors, etc. should always 100% be disclosed.

People are taking issue with the OP getting dogged on because he found a deal and paid sticker price at a store that should have known better.