• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dracula New English Library finally completed
3 3

40 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, dover said:

More books I did not know I needed. Thank you for sharing

You’re welcome. Kind of the feeling I had with this series. In my first post I said I collected these with the lowest priorities. That was initially because I received the first one or two as a freebie or in a trade and knew nothing about them. Also I was not looking to expand my collecting into foreign material. Over time as I learned more about these books, I picked them up when available in nice condition. I’ve come to appreciate them as books I know I needed! :)

On 8/25/2023 at 11:02 PM, Jayman said:

That’s pretty nice too! Congrats, they don’t show up too often! How long have you had that?

I go my copy in December of 2019.  So I have had it for almost 4 years.  Got it from a Great Britain seller (Ian Pakes?) on ebay.  Cost me $100 shipping included.  The only time I had ever seen it.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:05 PM, Jayman said:

Warren tried to compile these issues into a trade paperback book in 1972. The first book contains issues 1-6 but did not sell as expected and never finished the set. The book however is spectacular in its own right with its bold magenta cover. Many of these books suffer from the glue on the spine deteriorating, which results in the pages falling out.WarrenDraculaBook1.thumb.jpg.815a936ee079559f788da7c43b5c5ab6.jpgWarrenDraculaBook1Back.thumb.jpg.76c2b35f87915c243dd0bf4a3aefb400.jpg

There's a Warren book here?  Why hasn't anyone alerted me??  Why haven't I ever seen it listed in any compendium of Warren publications???

On 8/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, Axe Elf said:

There's a Warren book here?  Why hasn't anyone alerted me??  Why haven't I ever seen it listed in any compendium of Warren publications???

I thought you knew about it already. It was a mail away offer book, not unlike the Spirit and Vampirella Specials. :gossip:

Inside first page:IMG_2114.jpeg.5128fdd5ca1de04c12600754acef0da2.jpeg

Edited by Jayman

On 8/26/2023 at 7:21 PM, Axe Elf said:

Greggy's got loads of them, but then again, he's got loads of everything. The annual is very hard to find in nice shape and the magazines themselves are tough too due to being paper covers. 

On 8/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, batmiesta said:

Greggy's got loads of them, but then again, he's got loads of everything. The annual is very hard to find in nice shape and the magazines themselves are tough too due to being paper covers. 

I'm not particularly interested in the New English Library books (not that they're not cool, I'm just not interested in collecting them), but I will need to add the Warren one.

This is like a full magazine-size book, isn't it (it looks like one)?  I'm also not interested in collecting the various paperback-sized books that Warren published--just their magazines.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:20 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'm not particularly interested in the New English Library books (not that they're not cool, I'm just not interested in collecting them), but I will need to add the Warren one.

This is like a full magazine-size book, isn't it (it looks like one)?  I'm also not interested in collecting the various paperback-sized books that Warren published--just their magazines.

I think it's like a card cover TPB sort of book, but not 100% sure. 

On 8/26/2023 at 2:24 PM, batmiesta said:

I think it's like a card cover TPB sort of book, but not 100% sure. 

Yeah, that's what it looks like, similar to the Blazing Combat Anthology or something.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:05 PM, Jayman said:

Warren tried to compile these issues into a trade paperback book in 1972. The first book contains issues 1-6 but did not sell as expected and never finished the set. The book however is spectacular in its own right with its bold magenta cover. Many of these books suffer from the glue on the spine deteriorating, which results in the pages falling out.

I don't know the history behind the printing process for this trade but Warren was notorious for its cheap printing process on specials, especially on the HC versions.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, that's what it looks like, similar to the Blazing Combat Anthology or something.

Yes, card stock is a good way to describe it. I also seem to remember it being larger than the regular Warren mags. And Jayman's right, all you have to do is open it a little too far and the pages will fall out...  :(

On 8/25/2023 at 7:18 PM, Jayman said:

And now my showpiece of the set. This is a book I only became aware of about 3 years ago and every time I’ve seen one it was in the poorest quality. I was surprised that New English Library made a hard bound Annual that contained all 1-12 issues in the same high quality paper as the individual issues. Ironically I found this within days of getting the last issue I needed to complete the set.

For the Annual, I took a chance on a 0 feedback seller with a BIN. The book looked in great condition and it was. I researched the seller who had a bookstore in the UK so I decided to risk it. Seller was great, provided overseas tracking and it arrived very quickly and is currently my most prized tome!

I present the NEL Dracula Annual.DraculaAnnual.thumb.jpg.cdfc6eff02ae77ef2fa1f76e0f4763a4.jpgDraculaAnnualBack.thumb.jpg.23f0f18dd77f27cc40bc2cf6262d7d4d.jpg

it is a thick book!

IMG_2081.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpeg

WHAT? 

I never knew this book existed.  Thanks Jay for the set walk-through they are all stunning,  and incredibly tougher to find in high grade, kudos.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, oakman29 said:

WHAT? 

I never knew this book existed.  Thanks Jay for the set walk-through they are all stunning,  and incredibly tougher to find in high grade, kudos.

Oak, the NEL Annual does pop up on the Bay every now and then if you are patient enough. A lot less often than the Warren book. (thumbsu