• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clink auction shill bidding?
4 4

76 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, St. Unger said:

Doesn't Clink have a branch office in a state where shill bidding is legal? That's why HA is in Texas 👍 

I went to Phish earlier this month.  You would have liked it. 

forest-gump-wave.gif

I have listed on CLink myself and they provide more than one image allowed per listing. Why they don't put an image of the back cover on their auction listings just makes no sense and as many have pointed out in this thread, may be hurting their and their consignor's bottom line. I thought maybe with Steve Borock (he is with CLink now right?) coming on board with them some of these obvious sources of contention with their business model might be brought more up to speed with what is a no brainer with everyone else, but alas, nothing has changed so far.

On 8/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, St. Unger said:

Doesn't Clink have a branch office in a state where shill bidding is legal? That's why HA is in Texas 👍 

In some auction houses (not Clink) you the seller are allowed one bid on your item.  When I had a bad run way back on Clink I asked if they offered that and was told no. 

On 8/25/2023 at 11:05 PM, toro said:

Okay, I admit that there are some weird results in some of my auctions that could just be a coincidence.  Someone else's  book in the same grade sells at $250 and mine sells for $145.  I get that can happen.

Today I am looking at my ASM #9 in 6.5 and it is currently at $750, the 5.5 is at $900 with 23 bids to my 14 image.gif.02b98b044102769dbe71d2fad1d6a7d0.gif

Sorry for the whining.

Here are the two auctions

6.5 - https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2023aug%26session%3D2%23Item_1710187&id=1710187&itemType=0

5.5 - https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2023aug%26session%3D2%23Item_1710879&id=1710879&itemType=0

The 6.5 has major peek-a-boo pages

On 8/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, Tnexus said:

Maybe they realize that people seeing the unremovable CL sticker will decrease the value of the comic.

It takes two or three minutes to get a sticker off so definitely removable, but they are a pain.

I think they moved away from this. I only had a couple of books with stickers in the last few batches I received and I assume those were put on in past auctions. 

On 8/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, Tnexus said:

Maybe they realize that people seeing the unremovable CL sticker will decrease the value of the comic.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, Stefan_W said:

It takes two or three minutes to get a sticker off so definitely removable, but they are a pain.

I think they moved away from this. I only had a couple of books with stickers in the last few batches I received and I assume those were put on in past auctions. 

I use olive oil to remove the part of the sticker and sticky stuff that I cant get off with my fingernail. Little olive oil in the well, let it soak in for about 20 minutes, stuff comes right off with a little rubbing.

Then of course gotta get the olive oil off the case but that's easy. Do not use Goo Gone

On 8/27/2023 at 3:47 AM, Courageous Cat said:

however to the OP original point, shilling does in fact take place in any online auction setting. Good luck preventing it It's just the nature of the beast

Maybe.  Prove it, and then you might be on this something. 

In the meantime, given the title of this thread, the OP’s gripes, and the shockingly very reasonable and realistic responses to this thread, the only thing I have come up with is, this is just a really poorly-titled thread to begin with. 

On 8/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, St. Unger said:

In one case, that's easy. Heritage is in Texas. Shill bidding is legal in Texas. Halperin and Ivy confirmed this decades ago 👍 Ironically I never hear of MCS taking advantage of this loophole 🤔 

yeah MCS has a great reputation.  

On 8/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, St. Unger said:

In one case, that's easy. Heritage is in Texas. Shill bidding is legal in Texas. Halperin and Ivy confirmed this decades ago 👍 Ironically I never hear of MCS taking advantage of this loophole 🤔 

Sure.  I am not aware of evidence of Comiclink doing this, but maybe that is out there as well.  My comment was to a comment that stated shilling was the case with any online auction, which I disagree with, unless there is evidence of such dastardly acts.

On 8/28/2023 at 4:19 PM, Professor K said:

I use olive oil to remove the part of the sticker and sticky stuff that I cant get off with my fingernail. Little olive oil in the well, let it soak in for about 20 minutes, stuff comes right off with a little rubbing.

Then of course gotta get the olive oil off the case but that's easy. Do not use Goo Gone

Why not goo gone? I have used it with good results. 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:17 PM, batman_fan said:

The 6.5 has major peek-a-boo pages

I've bid on lower-graded items because of their appearance vs the higher grade. The 6.5 has some issues that the 5.5 doesn't and the 5.5 has white pages. Some people are into that as well, so that may be why there's more action on the 5.5. I don't know what GPA is on these books, but if it's nowhere near the current price, people could still be putting down placeholder bids. I imagine it will all shake out once the end of the auction arrives.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, jeffreyk said:

Why not goo gone? I have used it with good results. 

Hi jeffery. I tried it once and it left a rainbow like stain on the slab. I once bought a cbcs slab that looked melted in the spot where the sticker was. A guy on the board told me it was his and he did it using goo gone. It's strong suff but if you've had no problems with it no reason to stop using it I guess. (thumbsu

On 8/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, valiantman said:

I'm always surprised how many people want to talk about prices in the middle of an auction. Until it's over, they're meaningless (unless you want to see what the minimum next bid will be).

If the idea is to draw attention to the auction to attract bidders, it's totally understandable.