• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the new eBay grading system? Fine/Fine+ ?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I think I'm missing something...he also has this in his ad.

"all my comics are graded and examined carefully, and all flaws factored into final grades and assessments.  (it’s easier to trust the assessments of a seller with 100% feedback and raves about accurate grading!)  again, please see photos for additional info"

On 8/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, but at least it is “bright and colorful”. I have always been amused when sellers put a + after the grade whether it is or not just to squeeze a little more out of it.

I actually had to go find my glasses to make sure I was not seeing things...I thought maybe the person didn't sell comics.

The good thing about eBay are the pictures. If they are represented well, the seller’s grade is not important. Where I have gotton in trouble is when photos don’t reflect a defect like a missing cf or coupon. I don’t care about their return policy. If it is incomplete or an interior problem I file with eBay and always get my money back. 

On 8/26/2023 at 12:52 PM, jcjames said:

Wait a second... WTH!??

"i would put this at FN/FN+-, not counting the front/right edge of cover condition issues..."

So basically it's a FN/FN+... as long as you don't count the major tears on the front cover. :facepalm:

Who the hell grades like that!?? :makepoint:

I don't think I have seen an F+- grade. Maybe the + means it's better than Fine, but the - yanks it back a bit, but not all the way back to Fine? So it's "Fine and a smidge".

I know that Golden Age does not follow the same grading scale, which has always been controversial, but how much do you have to squint to see anything near Fine here?

On 8/26/2023 at 12:19 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't think I have seen an F+- grade. Maybe the + means it's better than Fine, but the - yanks it back a bit, but not all the way back to Fine? So it's "Fine and a smidge".

I know that Golden Age does not follow the same grading scale, which has always been controversial, but how much do you have to squint to see anything near Fine here?

Fine+ is a CGC 6.5. It's been around for years.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, Lightning55 said:

I know that.

But if you were more observant, you would see that he wrote FN/FN+- (FN plus minus).

I see that as the seller pegging the grade to a range of fn to fn+ .   After all he clearly doesn't want to 'over grade'....

On 8/26/2023 at 4:16 PM, thehumantorch said:

I see that as the seller pegging the grade to a range of fn to fn+ .   After all he clearly doesn't want to 'over grade'....

He is specifying FN+- 

As in FN plus minus

THAT is what I am saying doesn’t exist.

Hey, why not FN++-+---+-++-++-+? Just to be more accurate. 

I am thinking his idea of accuracy and ours might be a smidge different, plus or minus the tears, missing pieces, stains, etc;) That's a tough book, when I first saw the listing, I thought the price was really good...until I saw the pictures

Maybe he’s saying it’s a Qualified FN?  (If you ignore the following major defects it’s a FN?). I don’t think that’s accurate, but might be what he’s getting at?  I don’t know much about Wonder Woman pricing, but it looks like it’s priced in the VG range?

On 8/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, jcjames said:

Wait a second... WTH!??

"i would put this at FN/FN+-, not counting the front/right edge of cover condition issues..."

So basically it's a FN/FN+... as long as you don't count the major tears on the front cover. :facepalm:

Who the hell grades like that!?? :makepoint:

Well, you see something similar in book collecting:  “has defect x, y, z else Fine”  So in other words the book is actually a Very Good to at best a Near Fine copy.  I think the reason for it is (besides the salesmanship puffery of it) is because book grading terms are fairly broad. You can have one copy that is a VG copy and looks it because of a cumulative amount of small wear and another copy that at first glance looks like a FN condition but has a couple of defects the are pronounced enough to drop the technical grade. It’s their way of saying ‘presents like grade x but because of these defects drops it to grade y’. 

I think the problem with the example posted is that without the prominent cover tears and chipping it still wouldn’t look like a fine copy. 

On 8/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, rlextherobot said:

Any seller worth their salt should go out of their way to make it right in the case of an omitted flaw. A few months back I discovered that a book I had sold and was packing up for shipping had a clipped coupon; I immediately contacted the buyer to offer them a complete refund, a partial refund if they still wanted the book and a discount on a future purchase due to my oversight. I feel like that's the only way to do business, on eBay or otherwise.

Ditto!^^